Match Thread West Bromwich Albion - Coventry City Match Thread - Friday 1st Mar (2 Viewers)

skyblue_55

If that wasn’t bad enough , we were crushed against the wall , by the turnstiles on our way out , by a wonderful copper on his horse !

Skybluecol

Bought a ticket.....couldn't go so gave it to a mate who couldve got a ticket and didn't. Then found I could go a week ago. Mate msgd last night saying he was struggling to go......Winner!!
As a result, really looking forward to tonight's game and think we'll get a result....just have that feeling!!

Sky_Blue_Daz

3 points is a must in my opinion , think we are going to win 1-0 with a goal from Wright

mmttww

Do we need to set up like we did at Leeds?

Feel like we need to set up to win games from now on. Playing 3 x CBs gives us a solid enough base.

Torp in CM with O'Hare and Palmer available gives us a shot! Need Wright or Godden to step up, too.

Frostie

He's had what 4-5 games to get back into it?
Give him a break ffs.
He's started 4 league games since his return from injury. One of them he beat Millwall almost single handedly. It's an incredibly low bar but I felt he was one of our better performers v Preston too, certainly first half anyway.
It's fair to say he's not quite hit the heights pre injury but to call it an "awful patch of form" is a bit OTT.

shmmeee

To be fair to them they turned 4 defeats on the spin into a run of 1 defeat in 20 games, playing all of the top 4 sides in that period. After each recent defeat we've won the following game.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

But they also had four defeats on the spin, which is why I worry.

hamertime

We have to go and attack them from the start and get in their faces. We have got to be more physical because we’ve been bullied recently and it’s been our downfall.

Great_Expectations

Reverting back to wing backs

Back 3 of Thomas Lati Kitching

Torp and Eccles in the middle

Not sure whether its the box or 2 up top

If we start with the box it has to be Palmer/COH behind Simms.

If it’s one at 10, it has to be COH behind Wright/Simms.

Whichever option we go with, it’s a strong attacking unit.

Pressure is on CM’s and WB to supply them with decent ball. I’m confident Torp will do so.

Calista

I was there when we lost 7-1 , Willie Johnston scored a perfectly good goal (unfairly called offside) which would of made 8.
What's worse my old man made us stay to the end.
Yeah it was a 'difficult' day :)
Seem to remember after we went quite a few goals down, Milne brought on a forward for a defender to try and get back in the game. That was just the philosophy he had, and it produced some incredible entertainment but also led to some horrific days out like that one LOL.
In my mind's eye we are wearing the chocolate strip, but it could be my memory playing tricks.

Mcbean

Must score first - not chasing the game - they will have 12 men behind the ball if they score

Bidda

Yeah it was a 'difficult' day :)
Seem to remember after we went quite a few goals down, Milne brought on a forward for a defender to try and get back in the game. That was just the philosophy he had, and it produced some incredible entertainment but also led to some horrific days out like that one LOL.
In my mind's eye we are wearing the chocolate strip, but it could be my memory playing tricks.
That game was played in October ‘78 and the brown kit was introduced that season. I attended that match but, apart from remembering the shame of losing by such a large margin, have no specific recollections of the match so l am impressed by your ability to remember details. 😊

PVA

One positive thing about the return to 3 at the back, I'm quite excited to see O'Hare and Palmer together at the top of the box.

They combine very well, and could be a real handful in that role together which we haven't really seen yet.

higgs

Good to see bidders back wright looks off it at the moment he needs to show more hunger in front of goal pushed off the ball too easily lately

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

wantageskyblue

That game was played in October ‘78 and the brown kit was introduced that season. I attended that match but, apart from remembering the shame of losing by such a large margin, have no specific recollections of the match so l am impressed by your ability to remember details. 😊
In my memory we were wearing the chocolate kit. We were standing near the front of the terrace and decided to leave at 5-1. They scored another 2 goals as we were making our way out. We had a really good team out that day as well.

Nuskyblue

The problem with the back five was the lack of dynamism from the midfield along with the strikers misfiring. Once Allen and then O’Hare returned we looked a bit better and Torp has improved the forward passing from deeper, Simms is looking better but Wright still ineffective up front it seems.

I don’t see why going 5ATB is better than just sticking Palmer out wide, but if that’s what Robins is doing I’d want Dasilva because he’s much better in possession than Bidwell and we don’t need two DMs plus two defensive wingbacks. Plus we’ve got two good left footed CBs that mean we can easily cover.
The only reason for reverting to a back 5/3 would be personnel and perhaps a bit more solidity at the back. We have been leaking goals of late... could be throwing the bathwater out with the baby tho! Definitely pros and cons with both. MVE looks particularly poor as a wing back I think, he needs the overlap to be effective.

fernandopartridge

The only reason for reverting to a back 5/3 would be personnel and perhaps a bit more solidity at the back. We have been leaking goals of late... could be throwing the bathwater out with the baby tho! Definitely pros and cons with both. MVE looks particularly poor as a wing back I think, he needs the overlap to be effective.
Part of that though is how we used him, Dabo looked good at RWB and linked up well with O'Hare in particular, we need more of that. Earlier on in the season we often just passed the ball out to MVE pinned to the touchline without any of our players within 15 yards of him. If there is a short ball on like O'Hare offers, we can look for give and go opportunities to use his pace.

Mucca Mad Boys

The reason we’ve reverted back to 3-4-1-2 is because Sakamoto is injured.

I remember having this discussion 2-3 weeks ago. The link up between Sakamoto and MVE on the right was made the system go so well. It’s no coincidence, in my view, that performances and results tailed off when those two (in particular) showed signs of fatigue.

At best, 4-2-3-1 could work if you put Palmer LW and Wright RW perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread