Wembley and the London Marathon (2 Viewers)

Great_Expectations

I know I’ve mentioned it on a few individual threads, but I can’t believe I’m the only person in this boat on here (be it regular poster or lurker!).

I’m running the London Marathon on Sunday and with my now confirmed start time of ~11:00, it’s probably unrealistic to think I’ll make a 3:30 KO - which is shit.

I’m hoping to run it in ~4 hours, but it’s about an hour commute to Wembley, including the 30 minutes the organisers advise it takes to get out of the finishers area!!

I’ve spoken to Wembley and they confirmed the gates close around 50 minutes, so all being well I have a chance of making it for the second half.

Is there anyone else in a similar situation? If so, what are your plans to get to Wembley?

Or, is there a bar in London fans are heading for to watch either in general or anyone else watching/partaking in the marathon?

And before anyone mentions it, I cannot defer as it’s part of a wider running challenge I am doing for charity (even if it is tempting!).

Travs

I've got a clubmate in a similar boat.... although he's gunning for 2hrs30 (and i imagine might be in an earlier start time) so a bit more time to spare!

I understand that tubes etc on sunday in/out of the marathon areas can be pretty chaotic.

torchomatic

I know I’ve mentioned it on a few individual threads, but I can’t believe I’m the only person in this boat on here (be it regular poster or lurker!).

I’m running the London Marathon on Sunday and with my now confirmed start time of ~11:00, it’s probably unrealistic to think I’ll make a 3:30 KO - which is shit.

I’m hoping to run it in ~4 hours, but it’s about an hour commute to Wembley, including the 30 minutes the organisers advise it takes to get out of the finishers area!!

I’ve spoken to Wembley and they confirmed the gates close around 50 minutes, so all being well I have a chance of making it for the second half.

Is there anyone else in a similar situation? If so, what are your plans to get to Wembley?

Or, is there a bar in London fans are heading for to watch either in general or anyone else watching/partaking in the marathon?

And before anyone mentions it, I cannot defer as it’s part of a wider running challenge I am doing for charity (even if it is tempting!).
Just do a half marathon. Sorted.

ThievingScally

Tough spot.

1. It takes ages to get away after. The finish area is massive and finding bags/friends etc takes time.
2. Dont run too fast - then crash horribly and finish in 5hrs+

If its was me - I'd get there really really early & try and blag/push my way into a much earlier start time. Not many of the marshalls are too fussy & if you could get away at 0900 - you're probably fine.

If you're minted - you could jump straight into a cab and get taken directly to Wembley - but that might cost more than you're going to raise!

Good Luck. Hope you make it there for extra time & penalties

TSx

MTK

I really feel for anyone in this position. I don't know anyone running the marathon this year so haven't donated to anyone as I usually do. I'd be happy to and maybe if we all boosted your fund raising it might soften the blow - not much I know but it would be something maybe

I'm running it but in an earlier wave (10am start) and hoping to be done by 12.45/1pm. My plan is to jump on a lime bike from finish to a quieter station and then straight up to Wembley. If I were you my poa would be:

- Get in an earlier wave that goes at 10am. This should be fine but will require a bit of haggling and pushing to the front so get there early!
- If your done by 2pm don't mess around meeting people at finish just collect bag and leave (can be done in 10 mins if legs are fairly mobile)
- (If comfortable with cycling in London (it's really not that bad!)) Download Lime bike app and plan a route to Euston, otherwise walk about 10/15 to Green Park and jump on Jubilee line. If Green Park is rammed then walk another 10/15 to Bond St and that should be fine.

I think it is doable but will require good bit of planning and things to go your way - good luck!!

Otis

You're not a trained parachutist by any chance are you?

If so, there lies your answer and if your aim is good, maybe you can land on Roy Keane

Good luck.

pusbccfc

They aren't overly strict. Turn up early and start in an early wave

lacesoutdom

know I’ve mentioned it on a few individual threads, but I can’t believe I’m the only person in this boat on here (be it regular poster or lurker!).

Good luck! esp for charity, hope you've raised a bunch, its a great experience, i was absolutely shattered after i did it!

JAM See

I've got a clubmate in a similar boat.... although he's gunning for 2hrs30 (and i imagine might be in an earlier start time) so a bit more time to spare!

I understand that tubes etc on sunday in/out of the marathon areas can be pretty chaotic.
Two and a half hours!

That is fucking insane!

Hope he gets it. That's seriously good running.

Good luck.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Can you speak with them when you pick up your number and see if they can adjust you as a one off exceptional case and best of luck, if you dont have to wait for bags at the finish, you can get away quick, if you have someone with your clothes etc, jump in an uber and get changed in the uber

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I ran a half marathon once. Well, it was a full marathon, but I gave up halfway! 😂

Great_Expectations

Thanks everyone!

I have tried to change my start time but I keep getting generic responses back from the organisers that it isn’t possible. However when I pick my number up at the Expo tomorrow I’m going to try again when speaking to an actual human!

I don’t plan to meet anyone at the end other than a quick hello/thank you to any friends/family who aren’t heading to the game. They are aware it’ll be very quick! I remember getting out last time was an absolute ballache.

Not opposed to an Uber either, I just need to find a road that isn’t closed to get one!

Great_Expectations

I'm running it but in an earlier wave (10am start) and hoping to be done by 12.45/1pm. My plan is to jump on a lime bike from finish to a quieter station and then straight up to Wembley. If I were you my poa would be:

- Get in an earlier wave that goes at 10am. This should be fine but will require a bit of haggling and pushing to the front so get there early!
- If your done by 2pm don't mess around meeting people at finish just collect bag and leave (can be done in 10 mins if legs are fairly mobile)
- (If comfortable with cycling in London (it's really not that bad!)) Download Lime bike app and plan a route to Euston, otherwise walk about 10/15 to Green Park and jump on Jubilee line. If Green Park is rammed then walk another 10/15 to Bond St and that should be fine.

I think it is doable but will require good bit of planning and things to go your way - good luck!

What wave are you? 10AM would be absolutely ideal. I’m going to try and persuade the organisers to let me change when I collect my number tomorrow.

I remember the finishers area being an absolute ballache last time, but it’s a blur, so it it can be done in 10 minutes I will!

Bugsy

Great interview by Jo on sky sports news this morning.
.PUSB 🐘

Great_Expectations

2.5 hours is mental.

I definitely haven’t prepared anywhere near enough for 3 hours, never mind 2.5!

Users who are viewing this thread