Weight and working out (3 Viewers)

covcity4life

Those gains are likely due to water retention. Doing a cycle depends on how much you plan on taking; from what I remember that’s only needed if you do a loading phase.
Oh right ok. I'm gonna take 7 grams a day.

Might still do 2 week break to be safe tho

Sick Boy

Oh right ok. I'm gonna take 7 grams a day.

Might still do 2 week break to be safe tho
I think the loading phase is around 20g a day, so you should be fine. Once you stop taking it the water retention will go - it can be decent for pushing you a bit further though but you’re better off focusing on lifting and getting your diet spot on.

Sick Boy

Yeah I am lifting anything from 4-6 days a week. Only buying cos finnaly being. K sistent and noticing difference in body after 1.5 months so want to keep going long term now for once.
It’ll probably help you go that bit extra further but it’s all about doing it consistently for a couple of years, both in terms of diet and exercise.

covcity4life

I think the loading phase is around 20g a day, so you should be fine. Once you stop taking it the water retention will go - it can be decent for pushing you a bit further though but you’re better off focusing on lifting and getting your diet spot on.
Stuck to diet since Chinese last night..

Bertola

The last 6 weeks or so have been pretty heavy in terms of food and drink (birthdays, weekends away, cheltenham, weddings), so giving myself a couple of weeks off (until Wembley). Will be interesting to see the changes, even in just a short space of time

clint van damme

The last 6 weeks or so have been pretty heavy in terms of food and drink (birthdays, weekends away, cheltenham, weddings), so giving myself a couple of weeks off (until Wembley). Will be interesting to see the changes, even in just a short space of time

Let us know how you get on.
Got a pretty busy schedule in April but slows down after that, (assuming we've not got at least one more Wembley visit), so thinking of doing something similar myself.

Great_Expectations

Had a few inconsistent weeks too; Cheltenham and birthday weeks being the main causes. Also stopped tracking what I was eating in this period as I knew it was pointless.

Bad timing but I then picked up a virus and hadn’t ran for 10 days. So those two factors combined weren’t great but hasn’t had too bad an impact.

I’m running London Marathon next weekend and that marks the start of a charity running challenge where I basically need to run 35/40 miles a week to achieve the end goal. It will be physically, mentally and logistically (planning around a busy work schedule, kids etc) tough. I plan to eat well and allow myself a treat (inc drinking) day once a week.

If I’m not feeling fit and in good shape (and raised loads of money!) by September when the challenge ends I give up!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Just seen this thread for the first time. (It goes back a few years, eh?)
Haven't gone through 21 pages of posts so don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but here goes.
As a type 2 diabetic on both medication and daily insulin injections, I've had to watch my weight. Before retiring, I was 110kg, and had been for years. For the last 3 or so years, I've had to add insulin injections to my daily routine. And recently, so many people have said to me, "Wow! You've lost some weight!". I hadn't really noticed apart from jeans and trousers feeling loose. Anyway, I weigh myself once a week and I'm currently down to just 72kg. My BMI is perfect and apart from having to keep buying smaller size clothes, I feel great.
The reason for this weight loss? Ozempic insulin. It's one I inject once a week in addition to the daily one. Apparently, GP's are prescribing Ozempic insulin to obese patients now. If anyone is worried about their weight, I'd recommend asking your GP about Ozempic.

shmmeee

Just seen this thread for the first time. (It goes back a few years, eh?)
Haven't gone through 21 pages of posts so don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but here goes.
As a type 2 diabetic on both medication and daily insulin injections, I've had to watch my weight. Before retiring, I was 110kg, and had been for years. For the last 3 or so years, I've had to add insulin injections to my daily routine. And recently, so many people have said to me, "Wow! You've lost some weight!". I hadn't really noticed apart from jeans and trousers feeling loose. Anyway, I weigh myself once a week and I'm currently down to just 72kg. My BMI is perfect and apart from having to keep buying smaller size clothes, I feel great.
The reason for this weight loss? Ozempic insulin. It's one I inject once a week in addition to the daily one. Apparently, GP's are prescribing Ozempic insulin to obese patients now. If anyone is worried about their weight, I'd recommend asking your GP about Ozempic.

Not just weight. Some of the results for reducing alcohol, drug use, smoking, general executive function improvements make it sound like a wonder drug.

Not prescribed for weight loss in the UK I don’t think tho, just diabetes.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Not just weight. Some of the results for reducing alcohol, drug use, smoking, general executive function improvements make it sound like a wonder drug.

Not prescribed for weight loss in the UK I don’t think tho, just diabetes.
When it first came to light about a year ago, chemists couldn't get enough supplies. I had to try about 4 chemist, without luck. Then after a week or so, I had a message to collect it from a chemist I've never used. I asked the pharmacist what the problem with supplies was all of a sudden and he said that GPs are dishing out prescriptions left, right and centre to "obese" people to assist in their weight loss.

Brighton Sky Blue

When it first came to light about a year ago, chemists couldn't get enough supplies. I had to try about 4 chemist, without luck. Then after a week or so, I had a message to collect it from a chemist I've never used. I asked the pharmacist what the problem with supplies was all of a sudden and he said that GPs are dishing out prescriptions left, right and centre to "obese" people to assist in their weight loss.
The problem with it being used for weight loss is that the patients become dependent on it to keep off the weight, otherwise it tends to come back on as it doesn't address the reasons why they're over-eating in the first place. If I can do mine without needing medication I will

shmmeee

The problem with it being used for weight loss is that the patients become dependent on it to keep off the weight, otherwise it tends to come back on as it doesn't address the reasons why they're over-eating in the first place. If I can do mine without needing medication I will

Same as SSRIs or other drugs really. Should bevallig giving you space to change lifestyle stuff.

Brighton Sky Blue

Same as SSRIs or other drugs really. Should bevallig giving you space to change lifestyle stuff.
It's just what the ozempic studies showed, it worked as long as people kept taking it then the weight came back on most of the time after they stopped. Because you're relying on the medicine to do the work for you and are back to square one if it goes away.

shmmeee

It's just what the ozempic studies showed, it worked as long as people kept taking it then the weight came back on most of the time after they stopped. Because you're relying on the medicine to do the work for you and are back to square one if it goes away.

I mean that’s also what the studies say about dieting and most weight loss TBF.

I’m not for or against it, but I don’t see it any differently to any other drug for managing mental/hormonal issues. Like the baldness treatment which is the same, it’ll be a trade-off some are willing to make.

Personally I hope it does work for smoking and the like as that’s something that’s easier to make a permanent change once you’re past the initial hump.

Brighton Sky Blue

I’m not for or against it, but I don’t see it any differently to any other drug for managing mental/hormonal issues. Like the baldness treatment which is the same, it’ll be a trade-off some are willing to make.

Personally I hope it does work for smoking and the like as that’s something that’s easier to make a permanent change once you’re past the initial hump.
The difference is that most other strategies don't require a life time supply of medicine, which if we want it to become a widespread solution for obesity, is a bit of a challenge. In my own case I won't need to make any changes except for going onto maintenance calories

chiefdave

The difference is that most other strategies don't require a life time supply of medicine, which if we want it to become a widespread solution for obesity, is a bit of a challenge. In my own case I won't need to make any changes except for going onto maintenance calories
Worth point out that most people who have a genuine medical need for this type of treatment are likely to already be on multiple lifetime medications for comorbidities and are probably looking at a much shortened life expectancy.

Also it’s a very new treatment and they’re looking into ongoing maintenance treatment for exactly this issue as well as developing a pill version.

I’m in hospital at the moment and have been chatting to the consultant about weight loss and his simple point was current treatments don’t work. Of people who seek medical assistance the failure rate is over 98% He said any other treatment wouldn’t get out of trial stage with those results but their is a huge weight loss industry pushing for eat less move more to be the only option.

Brighton Sky Blue

Worth point out that most people who have a genuine medical need for this type of treatment are likely to already be on multiple lifetime medications for comorbidities and are probably looking at a much shortened life expectancy.

Also it’s a very new treatment and they’re looking into ongoing maintenance treatment for exactly this issue as well as developing a pill version.

I’m in hospital at the moment and have been chatting to the consultant about weight loss and his simple point was current treatments don’t work. Of people who seek medical assistance the failure rate is over 98% He said any other treatment wouldn’t get out of trial stage with those results but their is a huge weight loss industry pushing for eat less move more to be the only option.
This is fair and to be clear, I’m not necessarily opposed to the medication but I’m not sure how sustainable it is as a solution if it needs someone to be on it for life to keep the weight off.

I’m moving the same as I was before and if anything eating more food for fewer calories. If there’s a way of ‘prescribing’ how to do that, there’s your answer, and you won’t need to find enormous supplies of medicine in the process.

Sick Boy

It’s about making permanent changes to one’s diet, not doing it on a temporary basis to lose weight. A lot of people also need to address psychological issues that cause them to overeat. Using a drug to help lose the weight will just result in the weight gong back on without proper understanding of what was leading the person to overeat and a lack of food ‘education’ about what they should be eating.

Smoking requires serious willpower and a genuine desire to stop; going through the withdrawal is part of that.

shmmeee

It’s about making permanent changes to one’s diet, not doing it on a temporary basis to lose weight. A lot of people also need to address psychological issues that cause them to overeat. Using a drug to help lose the weight will just result in the weight gong back on without proper understanding of what was leading the person to overeat and a lack of food ‘education’ about what they should be eating.

Smoking requires serious willpower and a genuine desire to stop; going through the withdrawal is part of that.

This all seems like moralising weight loss to me to be honest. There’s no evidence of efficacy long term in any weight management protocol. Even the “right ones” that “teach you life lessons”.

Lots of people quit smoking with NRT, lots of people improve their mental health through SSRIs. Lots of people manage early stage diabetes or heart disease with drugs over diet. Mostly cos it gives them one less thing to think about and makes the long term moral shift you want more likely.

I’m not sure why eating disorders are seen differently to any other MH condition TBH. You wouldn’t refuse a schizophrenic medicine because better sleep and exercise might also help long term.

Sick Boy

This all seems like moralising weight loss to me to be honest. There’s no evidence of efficacy long term in any weight management protocol. Even the “right ones” that “teach you life lessons”.

Lots of people quit smoking with NRT, lots of people improve their mental health through SSRIs. Lots of people manage early stage diabetes or heart disease with drugs over diet. Mostly cos it gives them one less thing to think about and makes the long term moral shift you want more likely.

I’m not sure why eating disorders are seen differently to any other MH condition TBH. You wouldn’t refuse a schizophrenic medicine because better sleep and exercise might also help long term.
I’m not moralising anything.

I’m not sure about comparing a condition like schizophrenia to someone overeating is particularly helpful either.

shmmeee

I’m not moralising anything.

I’m not sure about comparing a condition like schizophrenia to someone overeating is particularly helpful either.

Would you prefer alcohol addiction? Or depression or anxiety? Weird tone policing.

It’s absolutely a moral thing. You see being overweight as a moral failing and don’t like the idea of that being fixed with a drug.

The fact Ozempic works on other similar issues like alcohol and drug use suggests that actually it’s a chemical imbalance that’s causing many of these issues for many people. It seems to me most of the push back against it is against that idea and a wish to hold onto the feeling that overweight people, or alcohol and drug addicts, or smokers, are worse people with a moral failing.

And again. Your “correct way” has no evidence that it works.

You back it not for evidentiary reasons, but because it feels more “natural” and “healthy”.

Sick Boy

Would you prefer alcohol addiction? Or depression or anxiety? Weird tone policing.

It’s absolutely a moral thing. You see being overweight as a moral failing and don’t like the idea of that being fixed with a drug.

The fact Ozempic works on other similar issues like alcohol and drug use suggests that actually it’s a chemical imbalance that’s causing many of these issues for many people. It seems to me most of the push back against it is against that idea and a wish to hold onto the feeling that overweight people, or alcohol and drug addicts, or smokers, are worse people with a moral failing.

You back it not for evidentiary reasons, but because it feels more “natural” and “healthy”.
You’re making a lot of bizarre assumptions about my opinion on this, so I’m just going to leave it.

fernandopartridge

Isn't the chemical imbalance likely to be a result of a nutritional imbalance

shmmeee

Why wouldn't it?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I’m not sure this is how science works lol

It’s chicken and egg innit. If you think overeating is caused by a chemical imbalance, how would that imbalance be caused by overeating?

As I say the whole thing seems like people want weight loss to be a moral issue that says something about someone’s character but the fact is fuck all works long term, so I welcome medical advancements on an illness that kills loads and costs the NHS even more.

Sick Boy

It’s chicken and egg innit. If you think overeating is caused by a chemical imbalance, how would that imbalance be caused by overeating?

As I say the whole thing seems like people want weight loss to be a moral issue that says something about someone’s character but the fact is fuck all works long term, so I welcome medical advancements on an illness that kills loads and costs the NHS even more.
The only person going on about it being a moral issue is you.

Personally, I’d like to see massive investment to support healthy eating and those with wider addictions and mental health issues rather than resorting to drugs to fix the issues. That’s not to say they can’t be used complementary though but I’d rather see a people-first approach.

Last edited:

covcity4life

What do you mean fuck all works long term? Diets?

Brighton Sky Blue

What do you mean fuck all works long term? Diets?
Most diets that people use for weight loss, e.g. keto or this new 'carnivore' nonsense, tend to only work in the short term. Those with better success are generally those who try not to do exclusion diets or anything overly restrictive.

covcity4life

Most diets that people use for weight loss, e.g. keto or this new 'carnivore' nonsense, tend to only work in the short term. Those with better success are generally those who try not to do exclusion diets or anything overly restrictive.
Oh yeah agreed. But that is still a "diet" really

I'm eating high protein at minute. Trying to get slot from whole foods but is alot of snacks into here too like crisps bars and shakes. Not really looking at carb limit at the mo

So far no difference on scale but looks better in mirror and that's more important.

Brighton Sky Blue

Oh yeah agreed. But that is still a "diet" really

I'm eating high protein at minute. Trying to get slot from whole foods but is alot of snacks into here too like crisps bars and shakes. Not really looking at carb limit at the mo

So far no difference on scale but looks better in mirror and that's more important.
As for myself, things seem to have stalled on the scales for the past 3 weeks despite sticking to my calorie goal. Body is continuing to change though so a bit confused by that.

covcity4life

As for myself, things seem to have stalled on the scales for the past 3 weeks despite sticking to my calorie goal. Body is continuing to change though so a bit confused by that.
Have to factor in metobalism changes. You might need to have even less calories or increase calories to get metobalism going again

Users who are viewing this thread