Weekend Break to see Northern Lights/ Iceland etc.. (1 Viewer)

dancers lance

I'm looking to book a weekend away to see the Northern lights + other tours/activities, has anyone been? can anyone recommend a good company to book with? looking to go mid December.

Malaka

Sorry, I don't, but if its good let me know, that is on my bucket list

Grappa

Cheapest option would be to fly to Tromsø. SAS fly there from LHR though you may have to transfer at Oslo. Should be able to get return flights for less than £200. You can see the lights from the centre of Tromsø or most hotels can sort you out with boat trips and what not if you want. There's obviously no guarantee that you'll see the lights of course, but you'll definitely be very cold, see no daylight and gasp when you get your bar bill.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'd love to go to somewhere like Tromsø, there was an old poster on GMK (mole I think) who was as witty as anything. He spent a lot of time there, but I have no idea if he floats around the forum.

Iceland you can definitely get flights for just over £100 - Birmingham started a route with Icelandair, but it's expensive. Luton or Gatwick with Easy Jet or Wow Air could be an option.

I do know for a fact Thomson do a package where you can get a hotel and various tour options added in, but I have no idea if it's good value or not, they're normally a lot of money, even if it is Iceland we're talking about! Best option is to shop around, price it up separately using skyscanner + booking.com/trivago, then check out some packages, there is even one on the Icelandair website that can sort you out.

Hope this is remotely helpful!

andy86

Went to Iceland in April for 3 nights, loved it and would highly recommend. Sadly didn't see the Northern lights though!

Covrock

I spent a little time 200 miles inside the Arctic circle. Go. You must see the Northern Lights. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and skin tingle. The sky was like something out of a horror movie, all colours and moving. Absolutely fantastic, amazing, brilliant.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I went to Finland with the mrs. for a winter holiday a few years back.

Helsinki is a cracking night out......they love a good drink....but have weird laws about off-sales etc.
My first & only time skiing.....just don't get it...whats all the fuss about?
Snowboarding was more my thing cos I could do it pretty well straight off......but still couldn't be arsed to go again.
Went on a couple night rides on snowmobiles to watch the northern lights......amazing stuff....but after standing on a frozen lake at -25C for half an hour....you've seen enough.
Wife crashed her snowmobile which cost me 500 euro excess.
Tip: If you go on a husky sled, make sure you're the one that "drives" standing up, not the sitting passenger.
The dogs start shitting as they leave camp, so for the first couple minutes my wife was ducking & dodging flying dog shite as they do it while they're running.

dancers lance

I went to Finland with the mrs. for a winter holiday a few years back.

Helsinki is a cracking night out......they love a good drink....but have weird laws about off-sales etc.
My first & only time skiing.....just don't get it...whats all the fuss about?
Snowboarding was more my thing cos I could do it pretty well straight off......but still couldn't be arsed to go again.
Went on a couple night rides on snowmobiles to watch the northern lights......amazing stuff....but after standing on a frozen lake at -25C for half an hour....you've seen enough.
Wife crashed her snowmobile which cost me 500 euro excess.
Tip: If you go on a husky sled, make sure you're the one that "drives" standing up, not the sitting passenger.
The dogs start shitting as they leave camp, so for the first couple minutes my wife was ducking & dodging flying dog shite as they do it while they're running.
That sounds right up my street (apart from the 500 euro excess and the flying dog turds) any advice on things to take, clothing etc?

jimmyhillsfanclub

That sounds right up my street (apart from the 500 euro excess and the flying dog turds) any advice on things to take, clothing etc?

Thermal vests, socks & long-johns a must.....layering is key but for the snowmobile trips etc, they provide full snow suits, head-gear & boots etc.

Users who are viewing this thread