We will make the Play Offs have faith in the lads (1 Viewer)

Samo

I'm an optimist, but also a realist.
I can't see us making it this time and its not in our own hands.
The squad is a few players short and MR knows that, he said after the Cardiff game ''I can change a few things but after that it changes fundamentally'' or something along those lines. By which he means he hasn't got the depth he needs to rotate effectively.
I am very hopeful for next season.

steve cooper

Even if we go into the last game 3 points behind but with a competitive goal difference we have a chance, and it will avoid the end of season nothing-to-play-for syndrome.
I think we will take 11 points from our remaining games. That will put us on 74. We will definitely need to beat Hull in that run anyway. 1 point off Ipswich and Blackburn would need us to beat Birmingham and QPR.
Norwich will probably win their 2 home games, but could lose to Preston away on Saturday. That would also put them on 74 going into their last game.
Our goal difference would be critical in that scenario.
Personally, I don't think we can catch West Brom now, as they have an extra game and an extra point to Norwich, and with superior goal difference.

napolimp

Even if we go into the last game 3 points behind but with a competitive goal difference we have a chance, and it will avoid the end of season nothing-to-play-for syndrome.
I think we will take 11 points from our remaining games. That will put us on 74. We will definitely need to beat Hull in that run anyway. 1 point off Ipswich and Blackburn would need us to beat Birmingham and QPR.
Norwich will probably win their 2 home games, but could lose to Preston away on Saturday. That would also put them on 74 going into their last game.
Our goal difference would be critical in that scenario.
Personally, I don't think we can catch West Brom now, as they have an extra game and an extra point to Norwich, and with superior goal difference.

West Brom will very likely beat Rotherham, but playing as they are where are the points coming from? They will most likely crawl over the line.

shepardo01

Saturday is last chance saloon
Win that, then the next game is last chance saloon... Repeat and repeat...
The Cardiff game has been the shitter here folks.
Odds are heavily against us finishing top six.
Too many poor points given up.
Resigned now to no play offs.
Norwich's home form is one of the best about,
They win their remaining two home games, we need a minimum of 11 points from our last 5 (that is factoring in them losing their two away games). Not happening.

skybluetony176

I think we’ll beat last season’s points total but without a complete capitulation of Norwich and/or West Brom it won’t happen and I can’t see that happening. 75 points I reckon minimum this season for the playoffs. We’ve got to basically win our remaining games and hope Norwich at least drop enough points and our goal difference is enough. We’re also still looking over our shoulder a bit. Middlesbrough Hull tonight is a big game for us as well as them. Middlesbrough are in good form at the moment and there’s often one team that come from nowhere to take the last playoff place and for my money they have that written all over them at the moment. There’s enough games still to play and who knows, things might look better in the morning.

fernandopartridge

Our record at home against the middle third of the table makes grim reading. It was similar last season to an extent.

Played 6 of the 8 teams currently in 8th to 16th place, won only one of them.

This has always been a problem for Robins, we've got a style that works against teams on the front foot and teams of obvious inferior quality, but it hasn't worked that well against peer teams.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

I think we’ll beat last season’s points total but without a complete capitulation of Norwich and/or West Brom it won’t happen and I can’t see that happening. 75 points I reckon minimum this season for the playoffs. We’ve got to basically win our remaining games and hope Norwich at least drop enough points and our goal difference is enough. We’re also still looking over our shoulder a bit. Middlesbrough Hull tonight is a big game for us as well as them. Middlesbrough are in good form at the moment and there’s often one team that come from nowhere to take the last playoff place and for my money they have that written all over them at the moment. There’s enough games still to play and who knows, things might look better in the morning.
We've got to win 4 games to get 75 points, so not all of the remaining ones

Alan Dugdales Moustache

If we get more points than Norwich then goal difference should take care of itself given we're a couple of goals to the good already.

napolimp

Our record at home against the middle third of the table makes grim reading. It was similar last season to an extent.

Played 6 of the 8 teams currently in 8th to 16th place, won only one of them.

This has always been a problem for Robins, we've got a style that works against teams on the front foot and teams of obvious inferior quality, but it hasn't worked that well against peer teams.

I think these are teams who set out to nullify us, rather than beat us.

skybluetony176

We've got to win 4 games to get 75 points, so not all of the remaining ones

Minimum. To keep it in our own hands we need to win all our remaining games. West Brom win tonight against Rotherham they’ll only need a win and a draws to potentially put 75 points out of reach for the playoffs. Norwich on paper at least also have a relatively easy last 4 games 2 draws and 2 wins for them would again mean 75 points won’t be enough.

skybluetony176

If we get more points than Norwich then goal difference should take care of itself given we're a couple of goals to the good already.
That’s the glimmer of light for me. Our goal difference.

(edit) that and the fact Norwich’s last game is away to Birmingham. If Birmingham needs all 3 points to stay up come the last game of the season that could be a tough game for Norwich.

Last edited:

Ccfcsj

Win our 5 remaining games, Preston beat Norwich on Saturday and we're in the play-offs unless Preston win all theirs with a stupid amount of goals unless my maths is wrong (probably :))

Not expecting it but stranger things have happened

Londonccfcfan

It's good Preston are in the hunt..keeps it interesting. As long as they have a sniff they can take points off our rivals.like West brom who they play last game of season.

cstring82

I live to dream....thought we didn't have a chance last season to get there to be honest, but a last minute goal from Ben Wilson at Blackburn, Hyam scoring OGs etc all went in our favour to get there. We'll need that kind of luck again but until it's over mathematically I'm not giving up hope!

Macca1987

The problem is the luck seems to be going against us this year, deflected goal last night that Collins would have saved, Hadji slipping over just at the point of taking his pen, I hope that's it and the Gods shine us for the last five games, I will still believe it's possible until it becomes mathematically impossible PUSB

Brighton Sky Blue

The problem is the luck seems to be going against us this year, deflected goal last night that Collins would have saved, Hadji slipping over just at the point of taking his pen, I hope that's it and the Gods shine us for the last five games, I will still believe it's possible until it becomes mathematically impossible PUSB
Not to mention we've had some dreadful officials more often than not.

The watchmaker

Guys, I love you all, but it sounds like some of you have been munching snails this morning. Look back at that league table on page one. We made 5th place from a much worse position with 3 wins and two draws because we held our nerve whilst those around us flaked.

Part of elite sport is about not giving up when things look difficult and giving your opponents the opportunity to make a mistake. If we only get 2 points from Birmingham and Hull we keep going because 74 maybe does it. We are still very much in this!

And don't get me started on describing our second ever major semi final as a novelty game... :D

fernandopartridge

Guys, I love you all, but it sounds like some of you have been munching snails this morning. Look back at that league table on page one. We made 5th place from a much worse position with 3 wins and two draws because we held our nerve whilst those around us flaked.

Part of elite sport is about not giving up when things look difficult and giving your opponents the opportunity to make a mistake. If we only get 2 points from Birmingham and Hull we keep going because 74 maybe does it. We are still very much in this!

And don't get me started on describing our second ever major semi final as a novelty game... :D

It's our 4th major semi final, we made the League Cup semi final back when it was still considered a major trophy twice.

bigfatronssba

4 points better off than this stage last season, but will probably need a higher points total so we’ll just miss out.

To beat last years points total is still a realistic aim though and would demonstrate we’re still progressing.

We’re still not the finished article, and I think next season in the Championship will be a lot of fun

itsabuzzard

You don't have to believe it's possible until it becomes mathematically impossible - by definition it actually is.

Users who are viewing this thread