We are making progress (1 Viewer)

Hobo

Of course we are and over several seasons.

Our fans need to stop predicting results week in week out and melting down when it doesnt happen.

Other teams lose too.

Keep chipping away. We wll lose between now and the end of the season. Losing with 15 games to go doesnt end your season.

Dickie

We’ve definitely progressed this season. Shame we didn’t add quality in January but if we do in summer we’ll progress again next season. We should definitely try and pick up some of the better players from the relegated sides. Maybe Styles, or Szmodics/Grant from Posh? Depends on who we keep and whether the owners up the budget I guess.

Briles

Last season 46- W14- D13-L19- GF49- GA 61-Pts 55
This season 31- W13-D8-L10-GF40-GA36-Pts 47

Last season 16th
Currently 10th

You can't be annoyed with progression.

ptr

We’ve definitely progressed this season. Shame we didn’t add quality in January but if we do in summer we’ll progress again next season. We should definitely try and pick up some of the better players from the relegated sides. Maybe Styles, or Szmodics/Grant from Posh? Depends on who we keep and whether the owners up the budget I guess.

Would take Styles. Szmodics and Grant wouldn’t get a game for us.

Grendel

So the change of manager is the reason for the downturn this season Grendel?

No the point is clubs like us who have owners purely focused on investor returns will adjust to see that indeed happens and the club is of little consequence

CDK

I think we have made progress, but acknowledge that's despite the owners; not because of.
Progress despite the owners is the key comment.and to keep maintaining progress is the great part of robins tenure and it does make wonder what happens when he hits a wall .

Mucca Mad Boys

Personally, my instinct is that we were never good enough for the playoffs even when we were flying…

That said, we’re three points off the playoffs with a lot of points to play for. Even if we don’t make it, we’ve made a lot of progress and overcome a lot of injuries, that in itself is an achievement!

bawtryneal

Just back home from the match and some of the negative crap that has been posted on the match thread is unbelievable. I agree we have made great progress since last season and the fact we have an outside chance of the play offs is a credit to MR/AV and Boddy and all the team.

South West Sky Blue

The title thread is probably the most accurate description of this season’s performance.
You can’t blame irrational fans (which we all are, because emotions are involved) for aspirations after where we were earlier on. However, since Fulham- we’ve not matched those levels. Put in some good performances which deserved more (QPR, Huddersfield…..).
I think our early season levels raised expectations to levels we can’t maintain with consistency.
On our day we can match anyone. Cardiff away was poor.However we controlled most of the game. Even though we lacked any threat, even that is progress from last season.
It’s difficult, because we’ve all got playoffs in our head, but realistically- our performance levels don’t quite reach that level at the moment.
The fact that we’re even mentioning playoffs in Feb is clear progress.

long way home

If we are in the same spot with ten games to go we walk into biggest game of the season territory. Win that game and that biggest game carries on. Another 3 pts and another game gone and we are hanging in, really impressive. Coaching has been outstanding this season, it's made a massive difference in pattern of play and improved players visibly. Big strides in a short time is a very good sign which I hope carries on.

No matter what happens it's been done on a bottom 3 budget which shows we have room to improve. If in the summer MR can get mid table budget we will compete at top 6 level all season in my opinion. We are 1 or two quality players from making the next step, lots to do but nobody should be upset or frustrated as we sit tonight.

Last edited:

Johhny Blue

Of course we are and over several seasons.

Our fans need to stop predicting results week in week out and melting down when it doesnt happen.

Other teams lose too.

Keep chipping away. We wll lose between now and the end of the season. Losing with 15 games to go doesnt end your season.
It does for a week

bawtryneal

No the point is clubs like us who have owners purely focused on investor returns will adjust to see that indeed happens and the club is of little consequence

I can assure you that the strategy of both the owners and the investors is to reach the Premier League

johnwillomagic

I think SISU have been very sensible in terms of investment - with my fans head on with no consideration of finances of course I'd love them to plough x millions into chasing an optimistic dream but being sensible I am happy with progress and look forward to seeing how we do our business in the summer.

Also to say if MR had a mid table budget we'd be top 6 is incredibly simplistic and not necessarily a view I'd agree with - when he has has money he often has not got it right.....most of our bigger budget investments for instance.

Walker
Wagorn
Bidwell (at present)

Also think not many sides realistically have 22 championship level players in their squad - Cardiff certainly didn't they blooded lots of youngsters.
I think it is only really sides recently relegated who have the parachute payments who are able to do that such as Bournemouth.

Whatsmore if we did for arguments sake get 22 players in think it would destroy harmony in the squad with more angry players - plenty of rumours going around about Waghorn and Walker complaining about game time and Bidwell did not look a happy chappy yesterday!

Let's see where we end up at the end of the season - I think we will have improved but need a major restructure cutting out lots of deadwood. Loaning out players and still playing most of their wages doesn't count......seen people spouting loads of nonsense about eight out and one in that financially simply is not the case.

It was a vital win yesterday I think the play offs just beyond us but hope I'm wrong - Tuesday game against Bristol City is a biggie and they've just beaten MIddlesbrough at home.

skyblue025

After a good season our biggest issue is being able to keep hold of our better players next season.
We have a lot of saleable assets now and we know the owners don't mind selling and giving Robins 10-20% of the fee to replace them with. If we sell any (Or all God forbid) Sheaf, Hamer, Ohare or Vik we will be starting from scratch again. You see the good teams bring in and let go 2 or 3 players a window not 7 or 8.

Grendel

After a good season our biggest issue is being able to keep hold of our better players next season.
We have a lot of saleable assets now and we know the owners don't mind selling and giving Robins 10-20% of the fee to replace them with. If we sell any (Or all God forbid) Sheaf, Hamer, Ohare or Vik we will be starting from scratch again. You see the good teams bring in and let go 2 or 3 players a window not 7 or 8.

We have to sell players to have a transfer pot for the next season

capel & collindridge

Barnsley made amazing progress last season

So we are going down next season?

Not unless we change managers 10 times!

We have improved every season MR has been in charge in his second spell. By the end of this season Barnsley will have been relegated twice in that same period.

Since MR arrived on 7th March 2017, when Paul Heckinbottom was their manager , Barnsley have had Paul Harsley, Jose Morais, Daniel Stendhal, Adam Murray (twice), Gerhart Struber, Valerien Ishmael, Markus Schopp, Joseph Laumann and Poya Asbaghi.

Ten managers ago, we had Andy Thorn!

Reactions: vow

shmmeee

I think SISU have been very sensible in terms of investment - with my fans head on with no consideration of finances of course I'd love them to plough x millions into chasing an optimistic dream but being sensible I am happy with progress and look forward to seeing how we do our business in the summer.

Also to say if MR had a mid table budget we'd be top 6 is incredibly simplistic and not necessarily a view I'd agree with - when he has has money he often has not got it right.....most of our bigger budget investments for instance.

Walker
Wagorn
Bidwell (at present)

Also think not many sides realistically have 22 championship level players in their squad - Cardiff certainly didn't they blooded lots of youngsters.
I think it is only really sides recently relegated who have the parachute payments who are able to do that such as Bournemouth.

Whatsmore if we did for arguments sake get 22 players in think it would destroy harmony in the squad with more angry players - plenty of rumours going around about Waghorn and Walker complaining about game time and Bidwell did not look a happy chappy yesterday!

Let's see where we end up at the end of the season - I think we will have improved but need a major restructure cutting out lots of deadwood. Loaning out players and still playing most of their wages doesn't count......seen people spouting loads of nonsense about eight out and one in that financially simply is not the case.

It was a vital win yesterday I think the play offs just beyond us but hope I'm wrong - Tuesday game against Bristol City is a biggie and they've just beaten MIddlesbrough at home.

This is bollocks. Players we’ve spent “big” on have mostly been a success: Hamer, Sheaf, Györkeres, Godden in L1. I’d class O’Hare in there too in terms of wages. Walker was top scorer last season and yes has dropped off, Bidwell has played about 5 games, Waghorn fair enough. But to imply Robins wastes cash he gets is nonsense, he has an excellent transfer record as shown by the fact he’s turned a L2 squad into a competitive Championship one on peanuts.

It’s blatantly obvious that restricting the budget to bottom three will have an impact, that’s why we’ve got kids on the bench and used the least amount of players of any squad and why we look dead on our feet in February. The desperation to both sides this leads to some ridiculous statements.

Grendel

While we almost certainly will sell this summer we didn’t actually do that last time when cash was spent on Gyo

I doubt the initial signs was anything like the headline tbh

We do now also have the added issue of the loan to pay back as well

it’s clear the squad needs more players and they can only be funded through up front season ticket Revenue and money generating from sales

Boddy was clearly testing the water with his valuation excercise

hamer wikk have to go anyway if he refuses a deal but Gyokeres is the one that they will hope keeps scoring to get a sizeable fee in

PVA

You said Gyokeres, Dabo and Moore were leaving in January. It's almost as if you don't know what you're talking about.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Walker
Wagorn
Bidwell (at present)

I prefer a sensible (for football) strategy that doesn't go massive potential rewards in exchange for massive risk. We've been there and it's not nice when it goes wrong.

But the owners could be doing more to help. For example, they could be providing the loans at a low interest rate so that the balance sheet isn't loaded with 'debt' that the owners are due. It's not often called in, but it's still sitting there (and gathering more interest in the process).

That might give a bit more leeway for progressing the squad and improve our chances at that huge reward of PL TV money and a lucrative buyout.. It's downright greed to be wanting both that pot of gold and huge returns from the loans and it's unlikely you can get both. But being a hedge fund greed is their thing so of course they're going to dream they can. Plus their first concern is their investors and PL is uncertain, interest is. So of course they'll choose that first.

Grendel

You said Gyokeres, Dabo and Moore were leaving in January. It's almost as if you don't know what you're talking about.

No I did t but never mind.

Perhaps you’d like to give your interpretation of Sisu and their funding strategy

Users who are viewing this thread