Wasps going into admin & the impact on CCFC (20 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grendel

Don’t directors have some financial liability if in place when it goes tits up

no not at all

NorthernWisdom

I agree with you, football is far more rooted in its local community and the collective psyche of the population where its based. It is an undeniable fact.
In the main it's fair to say that football is more populace, more embedded, let's say, but it's nonsense to deny that rugby clubs don't hold sway, and certainly don't hold a certain sedimented culture within a place. Obviously that differs from place to place, and sometimes that's years ago... we nearly weren't Coventry City because CRFC didn't like the idea of there being another Coventry Football club in the area. Plus if you live in Newport, Cardiff even, then you've got far more of an argument that it's not actually the case. Head for Llanelli and it's certainly very different. Keep in England and Gloucester are more of an identity for the city than its football club by far - the latter has been allowed to wither away... and if we move into Rugby League then we hit a whole different argument. The problem, incidentally, that both Union and League ave caused for themselves is they've just seen economies - try and get clubs in the big, populated areas and who cares about the smaller clubs with the loyal fanbases - let them die and put yourself at the mercy of TV, and a more elastic fanbase that will turn off as much as turn on. Football hasn't done the same geographically, but if ever it becomes top flight at the total expense of everything else, they might find similar problems down the line in, say, 20 years...

And just because something is smaller, does that mean we ignore it? It's the kind of attitude that when clubs like Chester are floundering sees a 'not my problem' spring up but, at some point, it might be us... and indeed turned out to be us.

It's the general chains which keep things like place, identity together. Loosen it in one area, and it's far easier to loosen it elsewhere.

duffer

I agree with you, football is far more rooted in its local community and the collective psyche of the population where its based. It is an undeniable fact.

More people follow football than rugby, that's a fact. Beyond that there's not much difference. You and SBT don't care for rugby, I get that. Beyond that it's all excuses and justification. Pompous rubbish indeed.

Esoterica

so glad wasps can afford the stadium :D

Oh Amy, I'm sorry....

giphy.gif

SBT

In the main it's fair to say that football is more populace, more embedded, let's say, but it's nonsense to deny that rugby clubs don't hold sway, and certainly don't hold a certain sedimented culture within a place. Obviously that differs from place to place, and sometimes that's years ago... we nearly weren't Coventry City because CRFC didn't like the idea of there being another Coventry Football club in the area. Plus if you live in Newport, Cardiff even, then you've got far more of an argument that it's not actually the case. Head for Llanelli and it's certainly very different. Keep in England and Gloucester are more of an identity for the city than its football club by far - the latter has been allowed to wither away... and if we move into Rugby League then we hit a whole different argument. The problem, incidentally, that both Union and League ave caused for themselves is they've just seen economies - try and get clubs in the big, populated areas and who cares about the smaller clubs with the loyal fanbases - let them die and put yourself at the mercy of TV, and a more elastic fanbase that will turn off as much as turn on. Football hasn't done the same geographically, but if ever it becomes top flight at the total expense of everything else, they might find similar problems down the line in, say, 20 years...

And just because something is smaller, does that mean we ignore it? It's the kind of attitude that when clubs like Chester are floundering sees a 'not my problem' spring up but, at some point, it might be us... and indeed turned out to be us.

It's the general chains which keep things like place, identity together. Loosen it in one area, and it's far easier to loosen it elsewhere.

So do you think it’s worth fighting to keep Wasps in Coventry, for the sake of the genuine Coventry-area fans who would otherwise have their team taken from them?*

* All 20 of them…..but it’s the principle, isn’t it?

torchomatic

Wasn't the statement made by Phil Townshend, who coincidentally, was accused of screwing another person out of their home?

I can't remember who it was. Only that it wasn't Lucas but one of her minions.

Senior Vick from Alicante

So do you think it’s worth fighting to keep Wasps in Coventry, for the sake of the genuine Coventry-area fans who would otherwise have their team taken from them?*

* All 20 of them…..but it’s the principle, isn’t it?

These local supporters are not what I would call hardcore fans. If they were in it for the rugby then they would possibly already be watching CRFC, it will be part time glory hunters attaching themselves to what they perceived as a big club. Most never gave a shit to our situation or the nuances around it. They were chasing glory so sod them.

Samo

There seems to be a lot of talk about Wasps reforming and staying at the CBS but I would have thought they would be itching to get rid of that lease and leave the city. The business model was already fucked and is probably going to get more fucked, so surely that lease is now a millstone they could well do without?

SBT

These local supporters are not what I would call hardcore fans. If they were in it for the rugby then they would possibly already be watching CRFC, it will be part time glory hunters attaching themselves to what they perceived as a big club. Most never gave a shit to our situation or the nuances around it. They were chasing glory so sod them.

I agree. I already think far too much energy has been wasted pretending that where Wasps play is important, beyond what it means for who owns the CBS. The idea that CCFC fans would veto a potential takeover bid (especially if it was the only credible investor linked with us in a decade) just because Wasps might be involved is ludicrous to me.

CCFC54321

Directors are only liable if they acted illegally or continued to trade when knowingly insolvent
Hence my post yesterday. They did continue trading. 2018 this was being called out and no way was the bond ever being paid the way the business was operating.

Calista

Some rugby clubs also are - Exeter, Gloucester, Harlequins, Northampton, Bath - Leicester is a big city for both which is unusual I guess. Wasps have no community base at all
Presumably they did when they were in west London, but if so a decade on an industrial estate on the other side of Wycombe about 30 miles away must surely have killed it, which explains the feeble opposition to the Coventry move. With Wasps it seems more like brand loyalty than a club rooted in a place.

They obviously have fans who are passionate about the club (including the woman on Twitter who says she travels from Essex every week!), and I for one have no inclination to gloat about what’s happening to them. I despise their owners who have shafted investors, and pulled the wool over people’s eyes (including the Council) with the promise of elite sport which they have failed to deliver. But the people on here who are kicking the rugby club when it is down are pursuing the wrong target IMO.

torchomatic

Townshend was acting leader at the time. Lucas was on holiday.

More senior than I remember then. Makes the disingenous stance even more appalling then.

Nick

Administrator
The deal was done wel before then though. The fact has always been we opened the door to them by leaving and saying we were building our own ground.

The people to blame for us not having a secure home are those that left the one we had without a plan to replace it.

5 September 2014 - Coventry City v Gillingham
7 Oct 2014 - Council vote unanimously on sale of Coventry's Ricoh Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread