Wasps going into admin & the impact on CCFC (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Warwickshire lad

I know what you mean and I’m only 41! Got turned away at the turnstiles with my thermos yesterday, luckily I’m only in the car park so could just drop it back. “No bottles” they said.
WTF happened to the very clear guidelines from last season. Flasks were named as acceptable, it’s in writing somewhere.

shmmeee

Fair enough, but I still don't see quite how that plays out. At the moment ACL have an asset of value, the lease. The liquidator/administrator's legal duty is to recover as much as possible for the creditors (bondholders first, then HMRC, then everyone else, iirc). He can't do that if he immediately disclaims the lease.

SISU broke the lease when we went into admin because it was a cost to the business, but to ACL it's a benefit. It's not in the creditors best interest for it to be ditched by the administrator/liquidator, in fact I think it might open them up to legal action.

Just mho of course... I wish I hadn't given up my season ticket at the Old Bailey now, I had seats on the half-way line and everything... 😁

IANAL obviously but surely if there’s a clause in the lease that’s that and bondholders should have read what they were getting into. If no one is buying it out of admin I don’t see what choice they have. Hate to say it cos they’re probably all just fans like us but I think they’re screwed.

Gynnsthetonic

Guy in front of me wasn't allowed in with a cigarette lighter, he was kicking off stopping the queue for about 5 mins until another steward arrived who said it was OK

Thetruthwillout

I am nothing to do with Coventry City, I am a life-long Aston Villa supporter - judge me how you will.

But I have come on here to state that I am appalled by the treatment meted out to Coventry City, a 139 year old Coventry sporting institution, by the London Wasps. A franchise operation that planted itself in Coventry, and then manouvered themselves to get control on the stadium they shared, and then proceeded to throw City out of that ground. Only to let them back was their hooky project ran into trouble. Have I got this right?

Neither the Wasps nor their supporters deserve ANY sympathy for that state hat their club is in. This, from a forum called Drunken Wasps:
Re: Wasps Business & Administration
bargepole 25 October, 2022 15:29
These people are having a laugh,
Why would any Wasps supporter who is a bondholder want to sink further funds into the loss-making white elephant that is the CBS Arena?
Just bulldoze the whole thing, and build a retail park, or blocks of flats on the site.
Wasps supporter and ex-player since 1964

'Just bulldoze the whole thing, and build a retail park, or blocks of flats on the site.'
Its all gone wrong for them in Coventry, so at least one of one them wants to see a spiteful scorched earth policy, à la Hitler's Germany in 1945.

Grendel

IANAL obviously but surely if there’s a clause in the lease that’s that and bondholders should have read what they were getting into. If no one is buying it out of admin I don’t see what choice they have. Hate to say it cos they’re probably all just fans like us but I think they’re screwed.

That’s my take. If ACl is liquidated the original lease returns probably to the council as freeholder.

This guy called some of the risks on launch

I don’t see anything they can do. The stock market launch gave it legitimacy and I’d be raising more the issue there was never an attempt to refloat - there will be some assets I guess including the P Share but it’s going to be much lower value

The training ground was never an asset anyway in the wasps group and Richardson sold his share on the day bonds were due

TomRad85

I am nothing to do with Coventry City, I am a life-long Aston Villa supporter - judge me how you will.

But I have come on here to state that I am appalled by the treatment meted out to Coventry City, a 139 year old Coventry sporting institution, by the London Wasps. A franchise operation that planted itself in Coventry, and then manouvered themselves to get control on the stadium they shared, and then proceeded to throw City out of that ground. Only to let them back was their hooky project ran into trouble. Have I got this right?

Neither the Wasps nor their supporters deserve ANY sympathy for that state hat their club is in. This, from a forum called Drunken Wasps:
Why would any Wasps supporter who is a bondholder want to sink further funds into the loss-making white elephant that is the CBS Arena?
Just bulldoze the whole thing, and build a retail park, or blocks of flats on the site.

'Just bulldoze the whole thing, and build a retail park, or blocks of flats on the site.'
Its all gone wrong for them in Coventry, so at least one of one them wants to see a spiteful scorched earth policy, à la Hitler's Germany in 1945.
You're right, very few of us have sympathy for their club, which i personally hope remains dead or their supporters, who let's face it are all a bit weird. We only hope that them finally going pop will lead to good things for our club instead of the usual shit we've gotten used to over the years.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

David O'Day

the stewards were pretty shit on tuesday, when people were having the normal issues i.e. failing to grasp that you have to put paper tickets in the slot and touch season cards against the contactless sign none of the stewards had any clue what to tell them so there were annoying delays in getting in

ccfcrob

Villa Scum ;)

Senior Vick from Alicante

Fair enough, but I still don't see quite how that plays out. At the moment ACL have an asset of value, the lease. The liquidator/administrator's legal duty is to recover as much as possible for the creditors (bondholders first, then HMRC, then everyone else, iirc). He can't do that if he immediately disclaims the lease.

SISU broke the lease when we went into admin because it was a cost to the business, but to ACL it's a benefit. It's not in the creditors best interest for it to be ditched by the administrator/liquidator, in fact I think it might open them up to legal action.

Just mho of course... I wish I hadn't given up my season ticket at the Old Bailey now, I had seats on the half-way line and everything... 😁

Isn't the liquidation option down to the fact that ACL have no cash or liquidity? If they dont have the ability to raise a line of credit to fund ongoing day to day costs as its already been taken they cant operate?

Esoterica

Bondholders...
giphy.gif

jordan210

One thing that got me thinking is wasps are allways very quick to say ACL made a profit.

Yet we never know if this is Gross or Net. Does the profit figure also include all the ridiculous grants they have had over the years. As they would show them as Money coming in.

As we havent seen any accounts for ages

If ACL was so profitable it would not be in the position it is in.

SkyBlueSam01

Have we ruled out some kind of 50:50 deal?

NEC take half the CBS for entertainment purposes and SISU take half fir the football club, potentially with a view to an increased playing budget whilst the club remains self sufficient, thus having a better stab at getting to the prem so SISU hit the jackpot their initial investment was presumably all about?

Would also allow for shared maintenance costs as well as much less up front risk to acquire the stadium for both parties.

Bad Boy

Got a soft spot for The Villa. My great great uncle played for them in 1911-12 season. Joined the 17th battalion Middlesex, the footballers regiment but sadly fell exactly a week before Armistice.
Thanks for your support and words thetruthwillout

rhino1002

Got a soft spot for The Villa. My great great uncle played for them in 1911-12 season. Joined the 17th battalion Middlesex, the footballers regiment but sadly fell exactly a week before Armistice.
Thanks for your support and words thetruthwillout
Likewise
my uncle used to manage them and got them promoted back to the first division in 1938
I've never understood the manufactured rivalry with Villa as they don't give a stuff about us
when i started supporting City in the 1960s our main rival was wolves not villa but they didn't consider us a rival they were rivals with west brom and still are

chiefdave

NEC take half the CBS for entertainment purposes and SISU take half fir the football club, potentially with a view to an increased playing budget whilst the club remains self sufficient, thus having a better stab at getting to the prem so SISU hit the jackpot their initial investment was presumably all about?

Would also allow for shared maintenance costs as well as much less up front risk to acquire the stadium for both parties.
IMO if SISU were to buy the stadium there's no way they're running it themselves. They will contract in someone to run the complex, they previously had talks with AEG which reached the point that AEG gave a presentation to the council. This is something the NEC Group do at other venues so I'd expect them to be one of the companies they spoke with.

tisza

1. Not sure how many companies would want to work in partnership with SISU bearing in mind their history.
2. Would need us/SISU to take on new debt until things started to turn around for the Arena particularly if they had to finace any repairs/improvements.

NorthernWisdom

1. Not sure how many companies would want to work in partnership with SISU bearing in mind their history.
Not that I want to defend them too much, because there are some obvious examples, and not just vs CCC... but they have, as far as I'm aware, always been professional with other clubs on both transfers and also ground rentals, have always paid the tax bill fully, and generally conduct themselves fairly honourably elsewhere. The partnership with Hummel also goes OK, I think?

So I think they'd be OK, if (if!) they could reach a deal on partnership.

Esoterica

The thing is though, wasps and the council have a much worse history.
Sisu being difficult to work with is just a myth perpetuated by the PR machine at the time, to make us try and believe that the issue was all on SISUs side. And that has started unraveling in recent weeks.

Blues, Northampton, Burton, the EFL, Dhillons, Hummel, Allsop&Allsop, the taxman, player wages, Stewards, the police - just a few different examples from various avenues that go into running a football club where we've never heard of any issues at all.

Skyblueweeman

One thing that got me thinking is wasps are allways very quick to say ACL made a profit.

Yet we never know if this is Gross or Net. Does the profit figure also include all the ridiculous grants they have had over the years. As they would show them as Money coming in.

As we havent seen any accounts for ages

If ACL was so profitable it would not be in the position it is in.

I think you're right.

I seem to recall something about their own accounts 'trending in the right direction' but those figures were influenced by the CVC money so take that out and they weren't so rosy.

Skyblueweeman

Not that I want to defend them too much, because there are some obvious examples, and not just vs CCC... but they have, as far as I'm aware, always been professional with other clubs on both transfers and also ground rentals, have always paid the tax bill fully, and generally conduct themselves fairly honourably elsewhere. The partnership with Hummel also goes OK, I think?

So I think they'd be OK, if (if!) they could reach a deal on partnership.

Good point that to be fair, NW. Never really considered that.

It's just the fans they've not got on too well with ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread