Wasps go to bottom of the pyramid (3 Viewers)

alexccfc99

Good its a fucking shit game played by fat blokes who arent very good at football
It’s shite and it’s a dying sport in my eyes

I actually watched the first game of the World Cup last night, people I know in Rugby circles told me what an amazing match it would be and that game will most likely end up being the final

Fucking boring and that was the equivalent of watching Argentina v Brazil at a Football World Cup, can’t imagine how dull some of the group games between lesser countries will be

tisza

I actually watched the first game of the World Cup last night, people I know in Rugby circles told me what an amazing match it would be and that game will most likely end up being the final

Fucking boring and that was the equivalent of watching Argentina v Brazil at a Football World Cup, can’t imagine how dull some of the group games between lesser countries will be
RWC actually sums up Rugby's problem. It really isn't a global game. It might be played in many countries on some level but realistically there are only about 9/10 countries where it is played on comparatively large scale.

clint van damme

RWC actually sums up Rugby's problem. It really isn't a global game. It might be played in many countries on some level but realistically there are only about 9/10 countries where it is played on comparatively large scale.

I've long believed that the worse thing that happened to domestic rugby in this country was England winning the world cup.

It made them think they could go up against football, epitomised by wasps buying the Ricoh and the council buying in to this city of Rugby nonsense.
The way it's structured is a nonsense, imagine making the Premiership virtually a closed shop to well run clubs like Cov?
But rugby's the smart people's sport apparently!

duffer

Last night's game was boring...

...in your opinion.

Do you understand the difference between opinion and fact, or is that a bit hard for you to grasp?

Some people enjoy the sport, some people don't. Most people who enjoy the game probably enjoyed last night's fixture. I thought it was pretty decent personally, but there's no point in trying to explain why to someone who can't be bothered and thinks it's shite.

Get over yourself mate, you're not the sole arbiter of what people can and can't enjoy. If you don't like it, watch something else.

duffer

I've long believed that the worse thing that happened to domestic rugby in this country was England winning the world cup.

It made them think they could go up against football, epitomised by wasps buying the Ricoh and the council buying in to this city of Rugby nonsense.
The way it's structured is a nonsense, imagine making the Premiership virtually a closed shop to well run clubs like Cov?
But rugby's the smart people's sport apparently!

No one that I know, inside or outside the game, ever accused the RFU of being smart. 😁

Like the EFL or the FA, or the greedy/bent fuckers that run *some* of the clubs, the people at the top of the game are remarkably useless/corrupt at times. It's not unique to either sport.

But it's everyone's game mate, if you pop down to a local Coventry club I can absolutely guarantee it won't be full of people with PhDs and posh accents.

tisza

No one that I know, inside or outside the game, ever accused the RFU of being smart. 😁

But it's everyone's game mate, if you pop down to a local Coventry club I can absolutely guarantee it won't be full of people with PhDs and posh accents.
It suffers same image as cricket. Village cricket etc played by all sorts.

MalcSB

It’s over a period of time on drunken wasps, generally on their finances thread. Anytime they thought they were positive *BAM* “fergal” was there to remind them they owe half the country 98m and that Shugs was chatting shit - was less direct than Grendel
I put a lot of research into my contribution to Drunken Wasps. Got banned early doors from Once A Wasp for suggesting to the guy who runs it that, if he didn’t believe what I was saying, he could go look at the source material. Obviously didn’t suit the narrative that all would be well and Derek Richardson was a wonderful guy.

How things have changed in the last eighteen months.

MalcSB

Wasps amateur Rugby Cub are still going and doing well, all old Waps rememeberbelia in the club house, they could be a phoenix club, seems like a lot of the Coventry Wasp fans won't be attending though
From what I’ve read, they don’t have any ambition to go professional.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I put a lot of research into my contribution to Drunken Wasps. Got banned early doors from Once A Wasp for suggesting to the guy who runs it that, if he didn’t believe what I was saying, he could go look at the source material. Obviously didn’t suit the narrative that all would be well and Derek Richardson was a wonderful guy.

How things have changed in the last eighteen months.
It’s still everyone but Derek’s fault
1) RFU
2) Gallagher Premier League
3) Saracens, Leicester and Exeter
4) Rob Baxter
5) SISU
6) CCFC
7) city of coventry
8) HMRC
9) Cov fans

fernandopartridge

It’s still everyone but Derek’s fault
1) RFU
2) Gallagher Premier League
3) Saracens, Leicester and Exeter
4) Rob Baxter
5) SISU
6) CCFC
7) city of coventry
8) HMRC
9) Cov fans

It's very hard to accept being conned and they, kentwasp aside, just haven't done that. I remember well stating at the time that Eastwood and co were spivs cut from the same cloth as SISU. I'm glad to have been overwhelmingly proven correct.

Grendel

It's very hard to accept being conned and they, kentwasp aside, just haven't done that. I remember well stating at the time that Eastwood and co were spivs cut from the same cloth as SISU. I'm glad to have been overwhelmingly proven correct.

I think Kent Wasp was banned from the Once a Wasp site

MalcSB

until another rich investor comes along and the cycle begins again. Then they'll be all for it
The amateur club remained amateur when the professional game came in and London Wasps was formed. I think they own their ground and genuinely have no desire to play anything other than amateur rugby. They will certainly have seen what can happen. Wasps as a brand name, which is effectively what Christopher Holland owns, may reappear if and when the professional game reorganises and revitalises itself but there is little or no commonality with amateur Wasps.

ovduk78

Yep, just spotted this. Slimy bastard, if I was a Warriors fan I'd want him nowhere near.

It feels a lot like another 'cuckoo' operation; having failed with Wasps in Coventry are they going to try again by usurping Worcester?
It doesn't look like Worcester's owners are any good either & not sure they have any chance really & whether they will actually survive anyway. Out of the frying pan and into the fire!!

ovduk78

Jersey Reds players could be 'stranded' after Championship club ceases trading - Jersey players could be 'stranded' as club folds

I've read this article and whilst it is a shame for any sporting club to cease trading, apart from the stripey bustards!!!, there were 2 sentences in it that I hope somebody with better knowledge could explain.

1. Jersey's average wage was £25,000 pa, was that really sustainable for them?
2. Plans for Premiership 2 where clubs will be invited to apply. Does that mean any club can apply or only clubs in championship?

tisza

Jersey Reds players could be 'stranded' after Championship club ceases trading - Jersey players could be 'stranded' as club folds

I've read this article and whilst it is a shame for any sporting club to cease trading, apart from the stripey bustards!!!, there were 2 sentences in it that I hope somebody with better knowledge could explain.

1. Jersey's average wage was £25,000 pa, was that really sustainable for them?
2. Plans for Premiership 2 where clubs will be invited to apply. Does that mean any club can apply or only clubs in championship?
Nearly all these "pro" clubs depend on private backers. None of rugby is sustainable in its current form.
A basic look at jersey attendances & ticket prices suggest an season income 200-300k add sponsorship etc you'd still be looking at a significant shortfall per season.
RFU (which is supposed to lead the way) is a mess. They set the trend for massively overestimating the game's popularity and income. They've had to implement cost-cutting that resulted in job losses as well as reduced funding throughout the pyramid particularly severe on the Championship funding.

Premiership 2 seems like another desperate attempt to save the professional game. Reportedly it would be a franchise system so anyone could apply but where's the external income going to come from? Hardly likely to get big TV money, Premiership rugby finances a mess so nothing from them.

chiefdave

tbf, that also applies to football!
The thing I can’t understand is that professional rugby is a relatively new thing, they had a blank piece of paper and all the time in the world to look at the mess other sports were in.

what on earth possessed them to then go let’s follow that model?

chiefdave

Premiership 2 seems like another desperate attempt to save the professional game. Reportedly it would be a franchise system so anyone could apply but where's the external income going to come from? Hardly likely to get big TV money, Premiership rugby finances a mess so nothing from them.
If you were a suspicious person a Premiership 2 with invited franchise teams would sound exactly how you resurrect Wasps and put them straight back in at the top

fernandopartridge

The thing I can’t understand is that professional rugby is a relatively new thing, they had a blank piece of paper and all the time in the world to look at the mess other sports were in.

what on earth possessed them to then go let’s follow that model?

They had "expert businessmen" like Nicholas Eastwood heavily involved

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

1 year anniversary of their demise
Excited The Child GIF by Disney+

Users who are viewing this thread