Wasps downward spiral... (6 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
As I said earlier - there is only one Wasps reporter and I honestly think it’s beyond his abilities. Even if I’m wrong, it’s not a story he wants to write, nor one his (tiny) audience wants to read.

It wasn't just a single person reporting on the CCFC stuff was it?

"Beyond his abilities?" It would be at the level of a basic journalist to be able to report on something like that.

Grendel

It wasn't just a single person reporting on the CCFC stuff was it?

"Beyond his abilities?" It would be at the level of a basic journalist to be able to report on something like that.

It’s not a sports story anyway.

It’s a business that employs over 200 people and there is at least a possibility in 4 weeks it goes into receivership

Then the council who have backed the project end up with holding the baby almost certainly at local taxpayers expense - there’s issues regarding the hosting of commonwealth games events

It’s a huge story

SBT

If the story gathers momentum then I’m sure the CT will find a warm body to write it up, that’s true.

I’m just glad people are back to caring about local journalism again!

Nick

Administrator
If the story gathers momentum then I’m sure the CT will find a warm body to write it up, that’s true.

There is no local journalism, as proven.

Just a lot of people who copy and paste.

Grendel

It would be whenever is their political reporter - they must have one

SBT

There is no local journalism, as proven.

Just a lot of people who copy and paste.

You’re right. It would be a massive benefit to the community if local papers had proper funding and staffing, to cover stories that actually mattered. Instead people seem to want them to disappear entirely.

clint van damme

It would be great if local 'journalists' cared about local journalism.

Reactions: SBT

Grendel

You’re right. It would be a massive benefit to the community if local papers had proper funding and staffing, to cover stories that actually mattered. Instead people seem to want them to disappear entirely.

Is your job working for the Finchley Echo as an intern?

Gynnsthetonic

Nick Eastwood has a few Wasps related accounts overdue on Companies House, not sure what the WPS trading Ltd is, might be something to do with the building and property development side

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator

You would think a "Journalist of the Year" could write a basic story about it though?

I know it's a bit more grown up than trying to get free food and writing a "I had a burger and this is what happened" article but can't really blame funding when these people seem to have degrees in their field and put things out on par with GCSE English projects.

SBT

You would think a "Journalist of the Year" could write a basic story about it though?

I know it's a bit more grown up than trying to get free food and writing a "I had a burger and this is what happened" article but can't really blame funding when these people seem to have degrees in their field and put things out on par with GCSE English projects.

He likely doesn’t see it as his domain or wheelhouse - like Grendel says, he probably thinks a political reporter should pick it up - and it’s not in his career interests to try. As I said at the start, he’ll look like an idiot if he doesn’t get on the story it subsequently blows up.

duffer

To wind the clock back to the time of Les Reid, I think it was fairly well established that the CET squashed stories about the secret deal with Wasps, at the behest of the Council (a major advertiser).

I'm not sure that there's a conspiracy here, but I also wouldn't put it past them to conveniently ignore the story.

Regardless, the CET has gone hugely downhill even since then.

Even if there was a story about this you'd struggle to find it amongst all of the clickbait and adverts. It is literally the worst website of its kind, and there's a fair amount of competition!

chiefdave

To wind the clock back to the time of Les Reid, I think it was fairly well established that the CET squashed stories about the secret deal with Wasps, at the behest of the Council (a major advertiser).
This came up in one of the court cases didn't it. Seem to recall there was a council email that mentioned they'd spoken to the editor of the Telegraph and made sure the story didn't get out.

skybluesam66

Even if they just reported the facts it is a start
1. Bond payment not made when due
2. No definite view of when it will be paid if it is
3. Filings are overdue and winding up orders have been issued - albeit this is standard process
4, Refinancing of the bond is causing a hold up with repayment
5. Currently playing in front of crowds of around 5000 with numbers decreasing on a weekly basis

A slightly better journalist would explain the implications of that

we dont need them to go on and criticise, just to print the facts.
Albeit if it was CCFC there would be a headline along the lines of "SISU about to take CCFC out of business"

AOM

I'm not sure that there's a conspiracy here, but I also wouldn't put it past them to conveniently ignore the story.

Even if there was a story about this you'd struggle to find it amongst all of the clickbait and adverts. It is literally the worst website of its kind, and there's a fair amount of competition!

Exactly this, there have been some local stories I've actually wanted to read before, but it's almost impossible to decipher where the articles begin and end!
I can't imagine many people read it, but it seems to be the exact same format for all local media outlets. I assume they're all run by the same company?

fernandopartridge

All of the Reach Group ones are the same. In fairness, the internet has destroyed local journalism. If you have to make your product free to view you have to find the funding for it from somewhere.

duffer

8. Picture
All of the Reach Group ones are the same. In fairness, the internet has destroyed local journalism. If you have to make your product free to view you have to find the funding for it from somewhere.

Yep, wouldn't disagree with that, but the site is so poorly done that I doubt people hang around long enough to generate much click-through revenue!

Nick

Administrator
Simon has said he has been looking into the whole story for a few weeks and nothing is straight forward. Hopes to publish something in the next few weeks after the jubilee is off every page.

giphy.gif

mr_monkey

No reason to second guess what he’s said

Tbf it took people on here 10 mins to do the research and find out what was going on so surely with his journalistic skills he should be able to run it up in a day or so (or just do what his mate turner does and lift things directly from here) and the jubilee nonsense is over by next Monday so why the couple of weeks wait

It's just deflection as always as when the wasps experiment comes crashing down the telegraph are going to look even more silly than normal due to their part in all of it

Gynnsthetonic

I just love this whole thread, everyone of us on here wants Wasps gone, not necessarily bankrupt just gone from C&W, what that would mean for the football club with the rental agreement and council situation who knows.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I just love this whole thread, everyone of us on here wants Wasps gone, not necessarily bankrupt just gone from C&W, what that would mean for the football club with the rental agreement and council situation who knows.
Nope I want them bust, I’m sure as sub tenants were protected. There’s no way the council would throw us out. They didn’t before and they wouldn’t after wasps go bust

Brighton Sky Blue

There was a time when OSB revealed the ARVO debentures which were later to be used to block ACL’s attempted takeover. I did write to Andy Turner to point this out, got a reply and then suddenly it appears as a double page ‘exclusive’ with no acknowledgement of who it ultimately came from.

Gilbert is a full time journo, it’s bollocks for it to take this long to understand the basics enough to write a short piece.

FulltimeWum

Sadly I don't work in the self employed or work when suits world of journalism. Surely anyone who doesn't like writing about royalty or Love Island has decided to take two weeks off.

If it will cheer you up, I'll pretend to be a journalist. You write the headline and I'll write some words.

CCFC54321

There was a time when OSB revealed the ARVO debentures which were later to be used to block ACL’s attempted takeover. I did write to Andy Turner to point this out, got a reply and then suddenly it appears as a double page ‘exclusive’ with no acknowledgement of who it ultimately came from.

Gilbert is a full time journo, it’s bollocks for it to take this long to understand the basics enough to write a short piece.
But when the article is published it will be all rosey and alls great for London wasps and it’s clear as days it’s not.

I’m starting to wonder what is going on with the local journalists. They wouldn’t last those pair working in Fleet Street!

Users who are viewing this thread