Match Thread vs Cardiff (A) 19/09/23 (2 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

I don’t normally change my mind on players this quickly but Palmer is currently offering the team nothing. If we insist on playing him we need to go back to the box formation
If he continues playing poorly but also keeps being picked then squad morale will sink further.

fernandopartridge

No mate, just come out here with a couple of mates for a few days on the piss. Unfortunately I’ll be back in time for the Huddersfield game. Can’t wait to watch our expensive strike force be anonymous for 90 mins!
Nice one, get down the Black Chicken and forget about it

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Can you? He’s a bit quick (though not MvE quick) what else do you see? I’ve not seen any strength, shooting ability, technical ability. I’d hoped he was a Wanchope style muddles his way through type, but he’s not. He’s just bad at football.
Pace, ability to turn sharply, intelligent running. He'd suit us playing a breakaway style which makes this attempt to play slow passing football seem all the more bizarre

Brighton Sky Blue

Pace, ability to turn sharply, intelligent running. He'd suit us playing a breakaway style which makes this attempt to play slow passing football seem all the more bizarre

As is Robins saying that’s not how he wants us to play despite Godden saying that this was the new approach

aviles

Not having a someone lined up to replace Gus was criminal, we are only ever an injury away from Kelly being near the starting line up.

Multiple times Godden found space in between the two cbs and we missed it everytime. Although Haji cant control a simple pass i do think he made some intelligent runs which again were being missed by the midfield or they would see the runs but instead pass it straight to a cardiff player.

On a more positive note, i thought simms looked up for it when he came on. Great work by him leading up to the 2nd goal. Ayari wasnt afraid to run at them and looked dangerous and great to see Allen back on the pitch.

BlueSkiesForever

Wright certainly can run, I don’t doubt his physical pace and I’m sure that he’s stronger than he showed but he did look dreadful last night. Although tbf to Wright he has shown bits and pieces in other games where he’s held the ball up well or run through well, we just have to hope there’s still a decent player in him.

My concern is that when you look back at the Leicester game, every single player on that pitch looked miles better than what we did last night, we’ve somehow regressed massively since the start of the season. The chance that Wright created for himself in that Leicester game was sensational, he obviously didn’t score but what he conjured up there was brilliant. I’m sure the ability is there it’s just that something has gone wrong along the way, and that applies for the whole team.

Last edited:

jordan210

Kelly & Eccles can't/Dont make the key balls that guy used to make. Not having someone who can tread a ball behind is killing us.

I dont want to dell on Gus as he has gone. But when he dropped deep to collect a ball he would then push forward. Kelly and Eccles tend to stay deep.

shmmeee

Kelly & Eccles can't/Dont make the key balls that guy used to make. Not having someone who can tread a ball behind is killing us.

I dont want to dell on Gus as he has gone. But when he dropped deep to collect a ball he would then push forward. Kelly and Eccles tend to stay deep.

Might as well have a moveable wall in midfield as Liam Kelly when we’re in possession. But Eccles is supposed to be more than that and he can’t pass more than five yards either. With Hamer and Sheaf gone we’ve lost all long, quick, clever passing from the midfield. 19 and 8st wet or not that’s why I’d put Ayari in there.

Skyblueweeman

It makes me angry that Gus left things to the last minute with his contract and decided not to sign it. Sheff Utd played a good game with the transfer.

By the same token, I'm surprised we didn't have a potential replacement lined up, 'should' Gus go. Maybe there just wasn't one that MR fancied to come in and do the job?

Regardless, it's clear we miss him and with an influx of new players who are all talented (I still think the majority will be classed as successful signings), it seems we've not settled on a good formation/system/style of playing that best covers the hole left by Hamer.

We need to get it sorted soon...whilst we're technically ahead of where we were last season and only two defeats in 8 looks ok on paper, we need to start picking up points. MR will have favour with the majority of the fan base - who knows how patient DK will be.

Hopefully we bounce back from this one the way we did vs Luton a couple of seasons ago when we were hammered 5-0 at KR. We beat Fulham 4-1 after that and I think only lost about 2 in 10.

shmmeee

Hasn't been all season , feels like any shot of note against him is going in

But again the new signing didn’t look any better. He’s barely mentioned but you’ve really got to question keeping Moore and bringing Collins in. I’d rather have spent £7.7m there!

BlueSkiesForever

Absolutely, they just don’t offer anything in almost any direction. Eccles has got away with people sticking up for him because he’s put in the odd decent cross or decent corner here and there but for 90 mins, consistently, game after game after game, he’s just not up to it in my view.

Just the thought of Kelly and Eccles playing together drains any excitement out of my body 😂 Imagine if someone said to you before the start of the season, with all this transfer hype, that we’d be playing Eccles and Kelly in midfield for a fair few games this season, you’d be pretty appalled, and yet that’s the situation we’re in because for whatever reason we didn’t manage to get a decent midfielder in the team, it’s horrendous tbh.

shmmeee

It makes me angry that Gus left things to the last minute with his contract and decided not to sign it. Sheff Utd played a good game with the transfer.

By the same token, I'm surprised we didn't have a potential replacement lined up, 'should' Gus go. Maybe there just wasn't one that MR fancied to come in and do the job?

Regardless, it's clear we miss him and with an influx of new players who are all talented (I still think the majority will be classed as successful signings), it seems we've not settled on a good formation/system/style of playing that best covers the hole left by Hamer.

We need to get it sorted soon...whilst we're technically ahead of where we were last season and only two defeats in 8 looks ok on paper, we need to start picking up points. MR will have favour with the majority of the fan base - who knows how patient DK will be.

Hopefully we bounce back from this one the way we did vs Luton a couple of seasons ago when we were hammered 5-0 at KR. We beat Fulham 4-1 after that and I think only lost about 2 in 10.

We needed a Gus backup well before we needed a Gus replacement. Really no excuse.

bigfatronssba

The biggest concern for me was the performance.
So far this season we’ve shown at least some promise in every game, and that we just needed to click and we’d be fine.

Last night however we looked awful.

I can’t help but think this new possession style is all wrong for us. We don’t have the players to do it and it’s incredibly boring to watch.

shmmeee

In fairness to Kelly and Eccles they rarely had an option for a forward pass, wing backs too deep and Palmer hiding

How would they know? Neither of them ever look up, and why would they? Neither of them can make the pass anyway.

bigfatronssba

Hamer is being used as an excuse.
There were plenty of games last year where he was having an off day and we still got a result.
And even going back two years where we were play off contenders for most of the season, of the “big 3” at the time, most fans would’ve seen Hamer sold over O’Hare

shmmeee

We’re really missing a player who can switch play or even just make that pass out of the press into space. So often yesterday it was just tap tap tap five yards until we’re closed in and everyone is either three feet away or fifty yards away.

shmmeee

Hamer is being used as an excuse.
There were plenty of games last year where he was having an off day and we still got a result.
And even going back two years where we were play off contenders for most of the season, of the “big 3” at the time, most fans would’ve seen Hamer sold over O’Hare

Not me. But we also had Vik, and a defence that knew each others names.

clint van damme

Absolutely, they just don’t offer anything in almost any direction. Eccles has got away with people sticking up for him because he’s put in the odd decent cross or decent corner here and there but for 90 mins, consistently, game after game after game, he’s just not up to it in my view.

Just the thought of Kelly and Eccles playing together drains any excitement out of my body 😂 Imagine if someone said to you before the start of the season, with all this transfer hype, that we’d be playing Eccles and Kelly in midfield for a fair few games this season, you’d be pretty appalled, and yet that’s the situation we’re in because for whatever reason we didn’t manage to get a decent midfielder in the team, it’s horrendous tbh.

We'd get away with having Kelly and Eccles if we still had Hamer, or a player who could carry the ball and use it effectively in the oppositions half.

We need Sheaf and O'Hare back ASAP and even then O'Hare is surely going to need time to get up to speed.
Until then we can't afford any more injuries and we need Robins to work some magic.

I've defended Palmer but he's was shocking last night, contributed nothing.

BlueSkiesForever

We'd get away with having Kelly and Eccles if we still had Hamer, or a player who could carry the ball and use it effectively in the oppositions half.

We need Sheaf and O'Hare back ASAP and even then O'Hare is surely going to need time to get up to speed.
Until then we can't afford any more injuries and we need Robins to work some magic.

Yeah tbf for once I agree with you completely, if we had Hamer it would be massively different, and the same view on Palmer, I’ve been defending him so far this season but the last 2 performances from him have been completely indefensible. He’s got to be dropped next game.

Brighton Sky Blue

In the short term you pair Kelly with Ayari and tell the wing backs to press up so he can play it either through the middle or the flanks. And for fuck’s sake stop bringing everyone back for corners!

BlueSkiesForever

We’re really missing a player who can switch play or even just make that pass out of the press into space. So often yesterday it was just tap tap tap five yards until we’re closed in and everyone is either three feet away or fifty yards away.
Don’t forget the bit about losing the ball after every tap tap tap, highly important step in our strategy atm!

Users who are viewing this thread