Match Thread vs Cardiff (A) 19/09/23 (1 Viewer)

SJ80

I was there tonight and Palmer didn’t even look like he was trying at times , the odd flash here and there but just seems a luxury player which we could do without on current performances

SJ80

We’re in this weird situation where Godden doesn’t actually offer us much in terms of physicality but he does score us goals. I think we have a proper nightmare situation on our hands here, we’re going to be expecting a 33 year old slow-ish striker to be doing what Gyokeres did last season purely because our new strikers have been dog shite.
I fear the worst if we go with the box formation, I want us to go to the box as we clearly need to improve our midfield however we’re not going to drop Godden, but the issue is if we play Godden I can’t see the box working as you need a quick, strong striker to be able to deal with any through balls on their own, but I don’t think Godden will be able to do that as he’s nothing like Gyokeres physically. Then where do you end up?
Long old season this one…
Godden first name on team sheet at moment , looks sharp and knows he has to keep performing to keep either Wright or Simms out (even if they aren’t performing anyway )

Evo1883

After watching our defence capitulate , our midfield pass sideways and backwards.. we've still got people talking about the only player doing his job properly , the leagues top scorer matty godden

Some people just don't understand football it's really that simple

Matty godden , he does nothing but score goals
Idiot Facepalm GIF

Paxman II

From what I saw of tonight, Robins is understanably angry with his players.
A game where we looked lost at times, yet other times as though we could step up and take the game. It was a dire mix of errors and a team selection that did not pass muster on the night.
Ayri is a class act that needs games. He will get even better and be a star this season.
We miss Sheaf putting his foot on the ball. Palmer looked jaded and unfit. Offered nothing. Kelly was tippy tappy as the gatepost in midfield, but that's no good if there is no attacking midfielder to pick up balls from you. Binks looks average. As for the strikers, never thought I'd be saying Godden is the best of the bunch. Wright looks distinctly out of his depth at times, hardly makes a move or chases anything. Poor touch and at 8m looks like a big mistake atm. Hope he proves us all wrong. Simms looked hungry and I feel he will come good. Needs games.
Work to be done for sure. It will come good once Robins knows his starting 11.

Last edited:

skyblue025

Just got back. Despite dominating most of the game we were shite. They had 3 shots on target and all 3 went in, we had 3 shots on target and their keeper saved one via a deflection. If it wasn't for Godden we would be in the exact same position we were at this stage last season. A depressing night all round.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

There is very little history of a prolific record in Turkey translating to similar success in England.

Thank fuck someone has said it. The Turkish league is as snide as their clobber. Every player signed from Turkey has proven to be dogshit in the English Leagues. Wright’s record is shocking in every country but guess what, Turkey.

Dean Austin needs sacking. The biggest window we’ve ever had and he’s wanked the lot of it up the wall. I’d have Chris Badlan back in a heartbeat.

Finham

Thank fuck someone has said it. The Turkish league is as snide as their clobber. Every player signed from Turkey has proven to be dogshit in the English Leagues. Wright’s record is shocking in every country but guess what, Turkey.

Dean Austin needs sacking. The biggest window we’ve ever had and he’s wanked the lot of it up the wall. I’d have Chris Badlan back in a heartbeat.
I said it at the time we signed him but I think the consensus was that the Turkish League was about on a par with The Championship, if not slightly better. Looks laughable now. Still hope he can come good-or better: he has attributes that we are not using very well and his head seems to have dropped. Lets hope MR can get him playing. We need to get the best out of him.

Londonccfcfan

I said it at the time we signed him but I think the consensus was that the Turkish League was about on a par with The Championship, if not slightly better. Looks laughable now. Still hope he can come good-or better: he has attributes that we are not using very well and his head seems to have dropped. Lets hope MR can get him playing. We need to get the best out of him.
Armt the basics a bit of fight strength and aggression? Put yourself about at least try to get into the game. Hes a unit..but powder puff.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We have bought too many sodding players, too many to weld into a cohesive squad, let alone a recognisable starting XI. There are too many flair players, who lack Championship experience and who are rotating from the bench. Buying Simms was okay as a hefty investment but spending another £7 million on Wright was risky.

Years ago, Sillett bought Drinkell and Bannister to score goals, whilst neglecting to buy the midfielder that would create chances for the forwards. The same applies now: we aren’t creating chances from the considerable possession that City enjoy.
We haven't bought too many players - the squad is still relatively small and would struggle to cope with a couple of injuries.

What appears to be the problem is the players we have signed at the moment either don't fit into the way we play or just don't seem good enough.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Whoever thought that is a pleb. There’s so many shit strikers that have come from the Turkish leagues, and thus shit strikers go to the Turkish League to become prolific!

Sadly you’re right. He’s 25 years old (which usually suggests you’re signing the near finished product), we can’t afford to right him off for a season or two - we may never get any money back on him. He’s on big money and we can’t write off £8M after 7 or 8 games.

That said, Wright looks shite and a massive waste of money. We could have had 4 youngerproven EFL strikers, not some myth from the Turkish League. At least Simms is 22 and has a couple of years to be improved and make the near finished article.

What the fuck were the recruitment team doing?!

Finham

Whoever thought that is a pleb. There’s so many shit strikers that have come from the Turkish leagues, and thus shit strikers go to the Turkish League to become prolific!

Sadly you’re right. He’s 25 years old (which usually suggests you’re signing the near finished product), we can’t afford to right him off for a season or two - we may never get any money back on him. He’s on big money and we can’t write off £8M after 7 or 8 games.

That said, Wright looks shite and a massive waste of money. We could have had 4 youngerproven EFL strikers, not some myth from the Turkish League. At least Simms is 22 and has a couple of years to be improved and make the near finished article.

What the fuck were the recruitment team doing?!
I think just that we were paying that much so he must be good, he had very good form against the top 6 in Turkey, that he was a US international, etc. I agree with you though, awful league to recruit from and especially at that price.

My partner said this evening: "I don't like our team this season, there's no character and leadership and the new signings remind me of "Mike and Susan" at work, just lolloping around earning money for nothing."

Names have been changed to protect the guilty.

Finham

One factor is the players don't seem to really know each other (contrast with Kelly's ball to Godden for goal) and we need to built team spirit/chemistry. Get them down Fizzy Moon for a bonding exercise!

Londonccfcfan

One factor is the players don't seem to really know each other (contrast with Kelly's ball to Godden for goal) and we need to built team spirit/chemistry. Get them down Fizzy Moon for a bonding exercise!
The best we played was pre season and first game vs Leicester.

Performances (not points is what I look at). Performances are getting worse.

Finham

The best we played was pre season and first game vs Leicester.

Performances (not points is what I look at). Performances are getting worse.
Reckon that's partly heads dropping. Although passing it back and back and back when we're right on the edge of their area wide is clearly not what Robins wants, so hopefully he can fix that for one thing.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I think just that we were paying that much so he must be good, he had very good form against the top 6 in Turkey, that he was a US international, etc. I agree with you though, awful league to recruit from and especially at that price.

My partner said this evening: "I don't like our team this season, there's no character and leadership and the new signings remind me of "Mike and Susan" at work, just lolloping around earning money for nothing."

Names have been changed to protect the guilty.

Well Haji Wright looks a worse investment than a peddle powered wheelchair. It would be horrendous if we spent £4M on him, £8m is heartbreaking.

Agreed. We are a lot harder watch this season, no creativity or spark. If we’re going to gamble £8M on donkey players from snide leagues, I’d rather us have kept Hamer and gambled his fee on us getting promoted this year. Literally no creativity in the middle of the park.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The scouting department need to be sacked. Signing a right winger for £2M, when we never play with width….letting Hamer go with no creative replacements in the middle….Signing Ellis Simms who is a carbon copy of the failed Tyler Walker and doesn’t suit how we play….signing the shite Haji Wright for a club record… paying £4.5M for Kitchin when McNally was available for less…. Utterly wank.

crowd riot GIF

procdoc

I’m currently wankered in Cafe Benidorm. Palmer, Wright etc can piss off. Useless pair of twats. I’m worried we have chucked good money away on a bunch of duds

skybluecam

Where’s the Wright vitriol come from?

He was poor tonight yes, but offensively I think he’s been our most dynamic player so far this season. I’d give him time.

Brighton Sky Blue

Reckon that's partly heads dropping. Although passing it back and back and back when we're right on the edge of their area wide is clearly not what Robins wants, so hopefully he can fix that for one thing.
It might not be what he wants but with so many of them doing it it’s like they’ve been instructed.

skyblu3sk

Didn’t take long for QPR to slide down and almost get relegated last season.
We were bottom at this point last season I'm not hitting the panic button yet. I have said all along I was worried about this rebuild but on paper we have strong players we just need to get them playing which Robins has a good record of making happen.

Saddlebrains

Robins saying they are a shy and quiet group.

This is massive and overlooked tbh. And I was told this by my 'source' last week but didnt think it was very important.

The group the last few seasons have been very tight knit, back each other and very affable in the dressing room. Turns out this lot are feeble and not quite sure what they are doing here

Good use of 20 million hey

Brighton Sky Blue

This is massive and overlooked tbh. And I was told this by my 'source' last week but didnt think it was very important.

The group the last few seasons have been very tight knit, back each other and very affable in the dressing room. Turns out this lot are feeble and not quite sure what they are doing here

On the plus side we won’t be paying any of the add ons at this rate and both Hamer and Gyo should bring in sell-ons or add-ons or both next summer.

Think we’re at a point where a team meeting needs to happen and this needs banging on the head before it gets worse

bigfatronssba

Aren’t people missing the obvious here?
46 pages berating the forwards.

However if you have to score 4 goals to win a game, the forwards aren’t the problem.

It’s the defence that needs work. Not the attack

hill83

XG and ABC123 bollocks doesn't cover being quiet and being an absolute lightweight fanny then I guess. Who would have thought?

TomRad85

Where’s the Wright vitriol come from?

He was poor tonight yes, but offensively I think he’s been our most dynamic player so far this season. I’d give him time.
We aren't playing in a way that suits him, he clearly has the pace to get on to balls through to him but we have no one playing them. In fact i think many of our new signings are suffering from whatever crap football Robins is trying to play at the moment. I've slept on it and maybe it's not just all our £20 million worth of new signings are shit but whatever the manager is trying isn't working. Needs to pull his finger out and find a way to get the best of what he's bought as currently this isn't good enough.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Saddlebrains

This is happening for 1 reason and 1 reason only

We lost the 2 best players in the division

We replaced one of them with 2 utter donkeys, and didnt even attempt to replace the other one

Hope the £12 million profit from Gus isnt burning too much of a hole in Uncle Dougs pocket though

Brighton Sky Blue

We replaced one of them with 2 utter donkeys, and didnt even attempt to replace the other one

Hope the £12 million profit from Gus isnt burning too much of a hole in Uncle Dougs pocket though
Didn’t your source say we attempted to replace Hamer but couldn’t get it done?

TomRad85

Uncle Doug might be having thoughts about whether or not to give that £12 million to Robins atm.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread