Use of VAR - audio Newcastle Arsenal (1 Viewer)

robbiekeane

▶️ Watch this reel

I know this is from a month ago but I just saw it and I’ve been thinking about the conversations on having VAR in the championship.

What are your thoughts on this? Pretty insightful to hear all of the conversation. Although it took a while I personally thought they did a good job of checking all of those decisions in a short space of time.

What I would say though is that maybe they should only be able to check for one thing at a time? Rather than a whole reel of things that they spend ages checking.

Like individually they got to those conclusions pretty quickly, but the fact they were checking a ball out of play, a handball, a foul, and two offside, is a bit of a joke. That’s 5 things to check.

Im tied on VAR. Most of the time I find myself thinking we’d be better off without it but then I go back to what it’s supposed to be for - clear and obvious errors.

ccfc1234

I would support VAR in the championship but make it only for red cards, penalties and offside calls with teams having 3 opportunities to challenge the on field decision per match. If referees are making more than 3 wrong calls against your club per match they need demoting.

robbiekeane

I would support VAR in the championship but make it only for red cards, penalties and offside calls with teams having 3 opportunities to challenge the on field decision per match. If referees are making more than 3 wrong calls against your club per match they need demoting.
I like the idea of having a max number of challenges

Nick

Administrator
The issue at the minute is the inconsistency of the checks.

1 thing might be checked in depth for 5 minutes and 10 minutes later something the same won't be checked.

SkyBlueSoul

Challenges would bring their own problems, mainly the opportunity to use them tactically. If it's the last minute, the other team is attacking and you still have a challenge then why not use it for something spurious to kill momentum and stop them taking a quick corner, free kick etc.

I've no appetite for it in it's current guise. Only when the images are put on the screen like rugby/cricket and you can hear the discussion would I entertain it. I'd rather rage and call the ref a dickhead for missing a "blatant" handball for a few minutes than sit twiddling my thumbs while it's checked to just be told it wasn't with no evidence.

Nuskyblue

Challenges would bring their own problems, mainly the opportunity to use them tactically. If it's the last minute, the other team is attacking and you still have a challenge then why not use it for something spurious to kill momentum and stop them taking a quick corner, free kick etc.

I've no appetite for it in it's current guise. Only when the images are put on the screen like rugby/cricket and you can hear the discussion would I entertain it. I'd rather rage and call the ref a dickhead for missing a "blatant" handball for a few minutes than sit twiddling my thumbs while it's checked to just be told it wasn't with no evidence.
I agree, I also there should be a protocol like there is in cricket. They go through the same checks each time when DRS is used. It may be tricky to translate it to football however...

VAR in it's curren guide is basically a nitpicky pile of crap that is far to interfering. It should be used only for absolute clangers.

Users who are viewing this thread