USA "Football" (1 Viewer)

CovInEssex

I do believe the majority of American Sports that take a lot of flak from British people is because they don't like anything American.

Chipfat

Tom brady has to be one of the most talented people to play professional sport anywhere in the world his brain and ability to fee pressure l and see all around him is something to see.. He makes what he does look so easy which is a sign of a true great, i lived in NJ for 8 years best days were Sundays 1$ beers and 10 cent wings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! felt it monday but soon back on it for Monday night football.....

Otis

Thought he was outstanding on Monday. All the talk this past few years has been of Peyton Manning and Brett Favre, but I think Brady is just as good if not better. Top, top quarterback.

And good point, Cookie. Not a big fan of baseball, but when i was in the States I went and saw a game and loved it so much I went back again the next week. Been to see to American Football games at Wembley and really had a fantastic time.

ive also been to the NFL at wembley (not going this year) difference is the Americans know about entertainment! also its great to be in a stadium full of people that are enthuisatic about the sport and can sit and drink beer all game,in the stadium ... brilliant!

Chipfat

Pats are favourites to win but i think Jets, Eagles or Ravens could do well on the back of there Defenses.... For the Pats to win it Brady will have to carry them as Pats defense is poor again this year...

Otis

Not expecting great things from the Redskins, but it would be great if they could make the play-offs.

The Ravens always seem to be there or thereabouts the past few years so maybe this is their season. they have a great defence and a really good quarterback too.

following the Colts and think were on the slide, Manning carries them and currently lacking a back up, not expecting much this year, backing Ravens or Jets to make waves this year

Otis

Jets should be odds-on for the play offs.

Outsider to do well? Detroit Lions. They have a really good young quarterback in Matt Stafford.

Ernie Machin

I do believe the majority of American Sports that take a lot of flak from British people is because they don't like anything American.

It's not even that, people are just ignorant across the world. Believe me, many Americans are vicious about 'soccer' and how boring it is. They seem to have grudging respect for Rugby though.

Anyone for a game of Kabaddi?

Ernie Machin

Packers for the Super Bowl. They look fitter and better than last year. Rare that you ever get a team repeating though.

ajsccfc

I was just as confused as you guys when I first came over here, but the World Series has got nothing to do with the world, as in our planet. It originally was the sponsors, the NEW YORK WORLD newspaper that it derives its name from, which later was shortened to the 'World Series'.

This is actually a popular urban myth - http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp

The New York World never had anything to do with the World Series, however, other than being one of the many newspapers to report the results. The modern World Series (like its predecessor series waged between National League and American Association teams from 1884-1890) was so named not because of any affiliation with a corporate sponsor, but because the winner was considered the "world's champion" — the title was therefore simply a shortened form of the phrase "world's championship series."

ajsccfc

ive also been to the NFL at wembley (not going this year) difference is the Americans know about entertainment! also its great to be in a stadium full of people that are enthuisatic about the sport and can sit and drink beer all game,in the stadium ... brilliant!

I went to an Orlando Magic game and I was struck by the sheer choice of food and drink outlets available for starters, and then that they had something ready for every break in play, even timeouts had little games, dancing, people firing t-shirts.

Quite fitting too, as Cov are partly credited with making half-time and pre-game entertainment popular in English football. Still waiting on the big foam hands to be made available to add to my collection, mind you.

Frostie

I went to an Orlando Magic game and I was struck by the sheer choice of food and drink outlets available for starters, and then that they had something ready for every break in play, even timeouts had little games, dancing, people firing t-shirts.

Oh how I hate you! I love the Magic & am hoping to go out & see them (if the NBA ever gets the deadlock sorted!)
Watched the NBA @ the O2 & have also been to see the Harlem Globetrotters. The amount of effort that goes into entertaining at American sports truly is different class.

Back on topic, Packers are looking good for the Superbowl again, Ravens were mighty impressive in week 1 too. Keep an eye on the Philadelphia Eagles, they're assembling quite a team.
My team is the Miami Dolphins but we have been poor for a while now. Tom Brady put on a clinic against us in the live Monday Night Football, he is one hell of an athlete.

Well impressed (seriously) with the in depth knowledge of the USA game as posted by several SBT members.

I am a bit more enlightened but it still reminds me of something about my preference to dry painting or is it paint drying etc

PUSB

ajsccfc

Oh how I hate you! I love the Magic & am hoping to go out & see them (if the NBA ever gets the deadlock sorted!)

I saw them at the Amway Arena in the final season before they moved to the new place. Pretty good view for the cheapest seats (tourist special apparently), only downer was the Raptors spoiling the party by winning, it's as if they didn't even realise I was there:

37gdn.jpg

WEGA7.jpg

I am a bit more enlightened but it still reminds me of something about my preference to dry painting or is it paint drying etc
It's not really for everyone, same goes for pretty much any sport I guess. Some people think football doesn't have enough goals, some think basketball has so much scoring it's redundant until the final quarter, some people can't see where the puck is in hockey, etc.

(That last one is just me, I fear)

Frostie

Those pics are great,like you say superb view for 'cheap' seats. The new Amway Centre looks incredible.... One day!

Otis

I saw them at the Amway Arena in the final season before they moved to the new place. Pretty good view for the cheapest seats (tourist special apparently), only downer was the Raptors spoiling the party by winning, it's as if they didn't even realise I was there:

37gdn.jpg

WEGA7.jpg

It's not really for everyone, same goes for pretty much any sport I guess. Some people think football doesn't have enough goals, some think basketball has so much scoring it's redundant until the final quarter, some people can't see where the puck is in hockey, etc.

(That last one is just me, I fear)

I've been to an ice hockey and I really, really enjoyed it ....... but I had the same problem. Spent most of the evening trying to keep my eye on the puck and keep track of it. Even worse still watching on tv.

ajsccfc

I was under the same impression it was named by a newspaper for years until someone pointed me to that site. Also the thing about Coca-Cola inventing the modern image of Santa, it's crazy how many things are part of common belief like that.

Users who are viewing this thread