U18/U21 Development Thread (6 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

Yep, Otis is right.

U16 -> 2 year scholarship -> either offered a professional contract or released

Jordan Shipley, attacking midfielder, offered a 2 year professional contract. Good player, was involved in the pre season games.

So far:
Jay Albini - not being retained
Jordan Shipley - offered a 2 year pro

SlowerThanPlatt

Nothing on the others yet. Might have to wait for the club announcement.

Goalkeeper Jordan Perrin, ex Arsenal U16, has been training with the club, to try and earn a scholarship. He has also been on trial at Wigan and Forest.

Midfielder Keagan Cole (Joe Cole's cousin), ex West Ham U16, was also training with the club. He has now signed for Hendon FC's first team who play in the Isthmian League.

SlowerThanPlatt

Corey Addai now added.

Following players now offered professional contracts:

Corey Addai (goalkeeper)
Jake Whitmore (right back)
Darragh Leahy (centre back/left back)
Callum Maycock (central midfielder)
Jordan Shipley (central midfielder)
Bassala Sambou (striker)

Otis

I'm glad they've been offered contracts, cos that is the core of our first team 11, opening game next season.

shmmeee

In all seriousness, I'd like to see Stevenson, G Thomas and Sambou all break through next season, maybe Leaghy as well. Plus Jordan Willis at last. If we're lucky, we could replace Fleck, Maddison and Armstrong in house.

Still, as Otis says, it bulks out next season's pros a bit.

SlowerThanPlatt

We can produce full backs, centre backs, central midfielders and forwards well but I can't remember a winger ever breaking through from the academy. Adam Walker, Ashley Cain and Will Roberts were supposed to make the grade but all were released. Now Jay Albini hasn't been offered a pro deal either.

I don't want to get over excited about Kyle Finn because you know what happens but he has that ability that I haven't seen in many of our young players and that is the ability to ease past a defender either side of them. He glides with the ball and he has a good physical condition to deal with that side of the game. He's a first year scholar (so a decision gets made on him next season) and he's recently made his debut for Ireland U18s.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Corey Addai now added.

Corey Addai (goalkeeper)
Bassala Sambou (striker)

Great news, this is the only shining light for me regarding our financial plight.
Would love a Cov team with 6 experienced quality pros. Plus 5 kids who are good enough and hungry. Plus 5 kids in the squad ready to step in when one dips. And another 6 experienced pros in the squad to dip in when the other pros are injured or have a dip.

SlowerThanPlatt

I was hoping the kelly twins were going to feature this year

Dion's made the bench a few times, last time at Sheffield United I think. Himself and Devon are out of contract in the summer.

Big year for George Thomas, Cian Harries and Ben Stevenson too. Really need to be pushing for the first team second year as a pro.

Terry Gibson's perm

Corey Addai now added.

Corey Addai (goalkeeper)
Bassala Sambou (striker)

another right back they must be looking to shift one or two out as we already have four? Plus Willis

SlowerThanPlatt

Phillips doesn't have a future with us as far as I know. Playing for the U21s at the moment to stay fit and impress watching scouts.

dongonzalos

Dion's made the bench a few times, last time at Sheffield United I think. Himself and Devon are out of contract in the summer.

Big year for George Thomas, Cian Harries and Ben Stevenson too. Really need to be pushing for the first team second year as a pro.

Hope they are offer another year
My type of fullback

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Shame I thought he was going to be a reasonable player but not a patch on his dad.

I like Phillips
His down fall has been silly mistakes
Handballs and and crazy penalties due to been out of position and inexperience that can be corrected

Otis

I like Phillips
His down fall has been silly mistakes
Handballs and and crazy penalties due to been out of position and inexperience that can be corrected
How many years are we going to give him?

He's 23 this year, so hardly a kid.

Terry Gibson's perm

Agree, time to go.

Probably score a 30 yard blinder past us as opposed to his trademark handball penalty giveaway.

It would need to be a cup game as I would be surprised if he gets a team in this league and the way he has developed might struggle to get something in league football another one incoming Nuneaton town.

AFCCOVENTRY

We need good players coming thorough the system. We hardy own any players so they are going to be our bread and butter.

SlowerThanPlatt

Offered scholarships for next season:
Josh Eccles
Ross McMahon
Lewis Green (already scored for the U18s)
Tyler Johnson

Expect the finalised list to be on social media in about 2 months time. Usually 7-9 sign scholarships. All 4 of them have played 2 years up (for the U18s) this season.

SlowerThanPlatt

We need good players coming thorough the system. We hardy own any players so they are going to be our bread and butter.

Leahy is definitely the best prospect. Used to captain the U18s before moving up to the U21s full time. Represents Ireland at U17/U18 level too.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Cian Harries now. The U21's centre back pairing this year has been first/second year scholar (Ford/Leahy) and a first year pro (Harries). I expect Ford and Leahy to be the U21 pairing next season. With Johnson and Ricketts most likely moving on, this leaves him a good chance to get himself into the managers plans over pre season.

shmmeee

I was hoping the kelly twins were going to feature this year

Based on nothing but gut feeling, I have a sneaking suspicion that neither of them will make it pro. Another Clarke/Willis type scenario. Might get a few games but won't have the right personality for the pro game at a higher level.

SlowerThanPlatt

U18 trialists who have played in recent weeks.:

Courtney Austin - striker - second year scholar at Brentford. Wasn't offered professional terms by them. Scored two against us when we played them earlier in the season so maybe that's why we had a look at him.

Jacob Bedcau - know nothing about this guy apart from his name. Nothing on the internet.

Centre back called 'Doyle' played against Cardiff on Saturday. My guess is that this is Charley Doyle who is a first year scholar at Blackburn. He hasn't played for Blackburn in the last few U18 games. Blackburn have a game tomorrow so if he isn't included then I think it might be him.

Otis

Based on nothing but gut feeling, I have a sneaking suspicion that neither of them will make it pro. Another Clarke/Willis type scenario. Might get a few games but won't have the right personality for the pro game at a higher level.
Willis was playing in the first team until got injured wasn't he?

SlowerThanPlatt

Can't see Dion making it. Personally Devon has always impressed me, bundles of energy and a good dribbler of the ball. If he doesn't get offered a new contract here I can see another club picking him up.

SlowerThanPlatt

U18s 5RM testing this morning

c4bf81fe61f9e7536e79ee4eeb191562.jpg

189a7b63844ef928b38d7a2f47906d80.jpg

64731218ec35282c86e4bf0ce66316bc.jpg

f8aa5faadd7813e894977c3ab60fa4e5.jpg

The next U18 and U16 games are away at Millwall on Saturday. The U21s were supposed to be playing Hull today but Hull are in the semi finals of the U21 cup so it's been rescheduled for a later date.

SlowerThanPlatt

Goals from the U21s 1-1 draw with Bolton. Aaron Phillips scoring from range for us.

[video=youtube_share;gkBrb29TEeY]http://youtu.be/gkBrb29TEeY[/video]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chiefdave

In more good news for us according to the CT Higgs Trust have offloaded the Higgs Centre to the Coventry & Warwickshire Award Trust. They are planning to put a 50m pool in to replace the one in the city centre that is closing.

The pool could be where the indoor pitch is, without that we lose our academy status.

Not too familiar with the site so not sure if there's a suitable alternative but it was suggested before by PWKH that the indoor pitch be converted to a pool.

Terry Gibson's perm

Why does the city need a 50m pool can't they just swim twice as many lengths in a 25m pool:thinking about:

The Alan Higgs centre is a bit out of the way for kids to get to surely they could find somewhere in the centre in between all the student accommodation, I bet if the uni wanted to build it space would be found then.

Users who are viewing this thread