Trump is my favourite comedian of the year already (2 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

What has Trump done since 2020 to endear himself further to the swing voters he alienated during his first term?

Biden is obviously not a compelling candidate, but he has the advantage of being the incumbent, a solid economy, and an opponent despised by millions who could well go to prison if he loses (and will go scot free if he wins).
I would ask what Biden has done for the same voters. Perhaps the war in Ukraine might tip a few more in his direction, I don't know.

SBT

I would ask what Biden has done for the same voters. Perhaps the war in Ukraine might tip a few more in his direction, I don't know.
Lowest unemployment rate in decades and easing inflation will be the message. (Stock market is flying as well, but Biden likely won’t go there)

Again, Biden isn’t going to inspire Obama-like devotion, but that was true in 2020 too and it was still enough to win against a candidate who has only got more crazy since the last Election Day. If the economy holds up then it makes it a lot more difficult for swing voters to go for Trump, whose other two main messages are “Keep me out of prison” and “I won the last election, actually” - both of which are electoral poison to most people outside his base.

clint van damme

He's actually doing pretty well on the economy, better than I thought he would. Inflation down to 3 percent and wages growing.

Still not sure a man of his age should go another term though but unfortunately that would leave a choice of 3 absolute wrong uns for POTUS

David O'Day

Biden is the most economically successful president for quite a while, that coupled with Trump and the republicans ned to keep pushing an anti reproductive rights agenda will make it very hard for the republicans to win the swing vites they need.

The last midterms showed how much a drag that is on the republican vote

Reactions: SBT

Sky Blue Pete

Biden is the most economically successful president for quite a while, that coupled with Trump and the republicans ned to keep pushing an anti reproductive rights agenda will make it very hard for the republicans to win the swing vites they need.

When given the choice between Jesus man and satan they will always go for Jesus

clint van damme

And that's the thing with these trump supporters, it's not about improving their lot, it's about making life as uncomfortable as possible for people they don't agree with.

CCFCSteve

Biden is the most economically successful president for quite a while,

I’m not having that DOD. According to Biden and his supporters maybe but a lot of their facts are questionable/challengeable and there’s plenty of stuff that’s not mentioned by them and elements of the press. It’s also impossible to judge a PM/Presidents economic performance on first two years in office as a lot of what’s happening won’t be from what they’ve done but from macro economic factors and/or previous incumbents policy

I say this as someone who doesn’t want Trump anywhere near office, he’s a dangerous idiot, but I’m also not having Biden held out as some kind of political genius. It’s that type of stuff that will see him re-elected as democrats presidential candidate and in a worst case scenario Trump getting back in

Both sides in US are deluded/live in their own bubbles

clint van damme

I’m not having that DOD. According to Biden and his supporters maybe but a lot of their facts are questionable/challengeable and there’s plenty of stuff that’s not mentioned by them and elements of the press. It’s also impossible to judge a PM/Presidents economic performance on first two years in office as a lot of what’s happening won’t be from what they’ve done but from macro economic factors and/or previous incumbents policy

I say this as someone who doesn’t want Trump anywhere near office, he’s a dangerous idiot, but I’m also not having Biden held out as some kind of political genius. It’s that type of stuff that will see him re-elected as democrats presidential candidate and in a worst case scenario Trump getting back in

Both sides in US are deluded/live in their own bubbles

His performance is Stella compared to the clowns we've got in charge.
It's amazing what can happen when every policy you introduce doesn't come with the caveat of insuring it benefits your corporate, billionaire mates.
Got to be honest it's not something I expected from him and would sooner have had Saunders but credit where its due.

David O'Day

It's amazing what can happen when every policy you introduce doesn't come with the caveat of insuring it benefits your corporate, billionaire mates.
Got to be honest it's not something I expected from him and would sooner have had Saunders but credit where its due.
Here's Clintons Treasury Sec pointing out how he is doing the best economically for decades that incluses the Cinton period

Hertsccfc

I think this post is spot on except I think it should be 'ensuring' no?

CCFCSteve

Here's Clintons Treasury Sec pointing out how he is doing the best economically for decades that incluses the Cinton period

Right, this is a long, dull one so anyone reading this make sure they’re sitting comfortably.

Id read the above article earlier today and assumed everyone else had when commenting on Bidens economic performance, however, I follow the U.S. economy quite closely and I personally think its way too early to tell. There’s good and bad but the article only focusses on the good. This isn’t an anti Biden rant, more to play devils advocate to highlight the not so good….

He hasn’t created the 13m jobs he stated, most are just pre pandemic jobs returning. The true figure is comparable to trumps first couple of years in office. They have the same tightness in labour market as us. Same unemployment rate as us

Policies helped to drive inflation (see covid cheques from him and Trump during what was a supply side crisis for starters). - It was the Feds aggressive rate rises that have helped cool it. The aggressive rate rises exported a lot of inflation abroad due to strong dollar last year (oil etc bought in dollars) as well as the excess demand on limited numbers of products/materials available post pandemic

Their 30 year mortgage rates are now currently around 7% so hardly anyone can move or afford to buy a new house. Bond rates pretty similar to ours

There is no doubt that significant government spending has boosted US gdp and is far better spent on infrastructure than some of Trumps tax cuts for richest, however, their debt to gdp ratio is now 130%, his policies have been inflationary so pushed rates up which means servicing debt has increased. if rates don’t go down quickly they’d have lost total control of debt - I personally think they already have (not just Bidens fault). Their debt service cost is now $1 tn a year !!! Yep, $1 trn just to service gov debt.

I like some of Bidens green initiatives and hopefully they’ll finally help turn America more green, although he’s got a long way to go. Has he put up taxes on oil ? Nope he bled their oil reserves dry to keep oil cheaper during last years price surge

Current approval rating of Bidens handling of the economy is around 35% in USA. This just feels low if everything’s going as well as the article suggests, especially considering the amount government spending. Maybe this will improve once benefits filter through. I saw today that productivity/output per employee hour had risen significantly which is a massive positive if it’s driven my economic policy

I personally think without world leading tech companies, endless supply of oil/fracked gas and having world reserve currency theyd be well and truly fucked by now.

Ps would I prefer Biden over Trump, any day, do I think he’s some kind of economic policy genius…I’ll wait before passing judgment. Should he get another term at his age, no way.

Last edited:

Otis

Screenshot_2023-08-15-05-04-09-18_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Indictment number 4.

He likes to be number one doesn't he, so he must be very happy he is breaking all records over there.

clint van damme

View attachment 31472

Indictment number 4.

He likes to be number one doesn't he, so he must be very happy he is breaking all records over there.

How many indictments is that now? Over 70?
How many of his close circle have been prosecuted or are facing charges?
Throw in his civil court conviction for rape and its incredible people defend him. Its a cult.

Brighton Sky Blue

.......and he'll probably still win the next election.
Had a look at some polling data, Biden’s got net disapproval in the double digits and is polling 1-2% ahead of Trump in head to heads. If it’s like that now, once Trump coasts to the nomination and starts campaigning more aggressively, it wouldn’t be a surprise if he pulled ahead.

Sky Blue Pete

Had a look at some polling data, Biden’s got net disapproval in the double digits and is polling 1-2% ahead of Trump in head to heads. If it’s like that now, once Trump coasts to the nomination and starts campaigning more aggressively, it wouldn’t be a surprise if he pulled ahead.
Nothing fundamentally awful will happen with the world it’s just another tinpot democracy being taken over by populism

Brighton Sky Blue

Nothing fundamentally awful will happen with the world it’s just another tinpot democracy being taken over by populism
Could have had Sanders and Corbyn enacting policies that work and that are popular. Ended up with Trump and Johnson sending their respective countries back years on jingoistic nostalgia trips.

SBT

I personally think it would be a surprise. Notwithstanding the fact that 91 criminal indictments will make it so much more difficult for him to just do normal campaign stuff in 2024, the stuff that we’ll be hearing about from these trials is hardly going to help expand his base, and will turn off swathes of swing voters.

ajsccfc

At some point is he actually going to face any consequences? Everything thrown at him just serves to galvanise his thick fanbase and give his son even more reason to stay up all night.

CCFCSteve

Frightening. I honestly think if Democrats put Biden up Trumps could well win. Still hoping both parties can dig out someone better. The country deserves better than those pair as their choice. Biden would probably be ok if he was 10-15 years younger but should be nowhere near power

clint van damme

At some point is he actually going to face any consequences? Everything thrown at him just serves to galvanise his thick fanbase and give his son even more reason to stay up all night.

I think he will, I also think the Capitol Hill insurgency turned a lot of people against him, some very powerful people

clint van damme

Frightening. I honestly think if Democrats put Biden up Trumps could well win. Still hoping both parties can dig out someone better. The country deserves better than those pair as their choice. Biden would probably be ok if he was 10-15 years younger but should be nowhere near power

Biden is the best of the four being touted though I agree with your opinion of him.
They're going to end up with someone unsuitable whatever happens.

Sky Blue Pete

I personally think it would be a surprise. Notwithstanding the fact that 91 criminal indictments will make it so much more difficult for him to just do normal campaign stuff in 2024, the stuff that we’ll be hearing about from these trials is hardly going to help expand his base, and will turn off swathes of swing voters.
Firm up his base though

Users who are viewing this thread