Trouble at the game! (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

Had my ticket checked twice by two people stood about 6 feet apart. Made me chuckle. Second guy literally stood watching the first check my ticket.
On the way in they were using those metal detector things, which they've used before. Today the steward insisted I take my car keys out of my pocket to show him what was in there. Madness. To cap it all, having a lower attendance than the Birmingham game was an absolute joke.

Surely, this can't go on.

David O'Day

On the way in they were using those metal detector things, which they've used before. Today the steward insisted I take my car keys out of my pocket to show him what was in there. Madness. To cap it all, having a lower attendance than the Birmingham game was an absolute joke.

Surely, this can't go on.
My lighter and my keys set the wand off and they didn't even check them.

Nobbie_67

My grandson (11) was searched for the first time ever today (3 years season ticket for him) They even asked him to open his tube of sweets to see what was inside!! I think it made him feel more grown up, but it was frankly ridiculous. They scanned him with the metal wand also but didn't do that with me?! They really haven't got a clue.

Captain_Slackbladder

The stewards who were standing around directing people to take the only path they could walk on made me laugh. Jesus. Like many I've travelled to loads of away grounds, this season and previous, and we are the absolute worst for OTT segregation both inside and outside the ground. And, who gets inconvenieced the most? The home fans.
I got told off for walking on the grass

Sky Blue Heaven

I know it wasn’t the stewards fault (they were just doing their job) but to have one person doing a full search, pat-down and ticket check just prior to each turnstile was simply ridiculous and ultimately lead to massive queues. The steward who searched me said that it was his first day working at the Arena.

chiefdave

I know it wasn’t the stewards fault (they were just doing their job) but to have one person doing a full search, pat-down and ticket check just prior to each turnstile was simply ridiculous and ultimately lead to massive queues. The steward who searched me said that it was his first day working at the Arena.
Completley agree. The queues were mental and pretty much at a standstill. About 10 minutes before kick off they went into panic mode and suddenly a load of extra stewards appeared, why were they not prepared for a a big crowd?

Also, has nobody at the stadium ever heard of queue management? There were queues going in every direction, nobody knew which queue they were in. The turnstile I was in line for had 3 queues! And while all this chaos was going on outside rather than assist people who clearly had no clue where they were going or trying to sort the queue out there was 4 stewards just watching the chaos unfold

Nobbie_67

Are the season ticket cards RFID enabled?

If so, they should be able to track movement of people around the ground and plan more efficiently / review issues from past games?

At a basic level; to better manage pinch points at certain times with turnstiles/stewards, look at fan dispersal before/after the game and if they want to get really granular with it, they could also use this to track that people are in (or close to) their allocated seats?

Not forgetting that you can walk in without a ticket at half time when all the doors are opened for the smokers and access to the food and drink joints outside. Zero stewarding on entry at that point.

All a bit 'big brother' I know! 😳

scubasteve

The stewards they employ are a waste of space. In block 18 a steward was talking to a guy with 2 pints in the stand, taking a selfie.

shmmeee

Are the season ticket cards RFID enabled?

If so, they should be able to track movement of people around the ground and plan more efficiently / review issues from past games?

At a basic level; to better manage pinch points at certain times with turnstiles/stewards, look at fan dispersal before/after the game and if they want to get really granular with it, they could also use this to track that people are in (or close to) their allocated seats?

Not forgetting that you can walk in without a ticket at half time when all the doors are opened for the smokers and access to the food and drink joints outside. Zero stewarding on entry at that point.

All a bit 'big brother' I know! 😳

Even if they don’t, I recently had a demo of an Amazon system that tracks crowd flows with standard CCTV cameras.

Nit sure you can just walk in from the smoking area can you? When I’ve been out there’s been fences and stewards each side.

David O'Day

Even if they don’t, I recently had a demo of an Amazon system that tracks crowd flows with standard CCTV cameras.

Nit sure you can just walk in from the smoking area can you? When I’ve been out there’s been fences and stewards each side.
Normally it is fenced off but today it did just seem to be the whole road behind the east stand

torchomatic

The stewards they employ are a waste of space. In block 18 a steward was talking to a guy with 2 pints in the stand, taking a selfie.
And by us the gangways were full of people sitting down. No one could get past. God knows what would have happened in an emergency. stewards just ignored it.

Nobbie_67

I walked out today at half time, got 2 hot dogs and took them back to my seat without any checks (East Stand)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmmeee

I walked out today at half time, got 2 hot dogs and took them back to my seat without any checks

Yeah you never get checked going to the smoking area, but you can’t get into it from the outside is my point.

Nobbie_67

When I say smoking area, I’m saying “outside” I don’t smoke so there may be other areas I’m not aware of? I was referring to the area outside of turnstiles 21/22

JAM See

The stewards they employ are probably young kids on minimum wage.

What do you expect them to do when faced with coked up young men (it's ALWAYS men, funny that)? Put up a fight or just let it go?

I know what I'd do.

Blaming the stewards is really missing the point.

Last edited:

Captain_Slackbladder

And by us the gangways were full of people sitting down. No one could get past. God knows what would have happened in an emergency. stewards just ignored it.
Well I am sure the "print one ticket out 20 times" was used quite a lot. Just go to separate turnstyles and argue your way in when it doesn't scan. It isn't something I did but have some empathy considering a.) The way tickets were sold and b.) The amount of spare seats inside

torchomatic

Well I am sure the "print one ticket out 20 times" was used quite a lot. Just go to separate turnstyles and argue your way in when it doesn't scan. It isn't something I did but have some empathy considering a.) The way tickets were sold and b.) The amount of spare seats inside

I don't have empathy with that at all. We are in the mess we are basically because of pricks in our own fanbase.

Not sitting in the proper seat, using JSB season tickets. Classic case of a few ruining it for everyone else.

shmmeee

When I say smoking area, I’m saying “outside” I don’t smoke so there may be other areas I’m not aware of? I was referring to the area outside of turnstiles 21/22

Its massive but it is fenced off at each end that I’ve seen. I go out turnstile 26/27 I think and that’s at one end.

Ashdown

I was listening ...or trying to on talk sport. You lot that went were so bloody loud, I almost rang in to request it be turned down a bit. Its the first time listening to a live game that I couldn't hear what the commentators were saying. :rolleyes:
I don't have empathy with that at all. We are in the mess we are basically because of pricks in our own fanbase.

Not sitting in the proper seat, using JSB season tickets. Classic case of a few ruining it for everyone else.
Went to Elche v A Madrid yesterday . 22500 crowd, 8000+ away supporters mostly mixed in with the home fans. No trouble whatsoever, police only on the outside of the stadium and only stewards inside were helping people find their seats.
Different mentality to football in Spain altogether. There are some more bitter rivalries but generally it’s peaceful.

David O'Day

Went to Elche v A Madrid yesterday . 22500 crowd, 8000+ away supporters mostly mixed in with the home fans. No trouble whatsoever, police only on the outside of the stadium and only stewards inside were helping people find their seats.
Different mentality to football in Spain altogether. There are some more bitter rivalries but generally it’s peaceful.
that is elche though, some of the bigger games can be tasty

for example this weekends catalan derby

clint van damme

Didn't Barca get chased off the pitch by Espanyol fans yesterday?

Nuskyblue

It actually reduces the queues. No point waiting in a massive queue for an empty toilet
They are genuinely half full, I bet it's a health and safety thing that requires them to be one way due to the size of the gangway in and out

duffer

Should have put each one to man the toilet exists to stop wankers entering and slowing the flow down!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I have the same issue with slow flow. I put it down to old age.

I'm not sure if a steward could help but it sounds more interesting than drinking cranberry juice. 😄

Users who are viewing this thread