Trinity Mirror and CT also told to Shut Up (3 Viewers)

cofastreecity

It would seem the "SHUT UP", orders put on Sky Blues Trust and David Conn's Guardian newspaper are only the tip of the iceberg. A journalist source from within the Industry who is researching Company Director behaviour, states the Editor of the Coventry Telegraph and its parent company Trinity Mirror were also served with SISU "SHUT UP" orders in recent times. He also advises a number of other Coventry parties including influential names in the City previously directly and indirectly connected to the football club, have also received Lawyers letters. It would seem "FREEDOM of SPEECH" where Coventry City Football Club is concerned is a NO GO area.

TurkeyTrot

Do you have any evidence of this?
If you get a chance, have a little off the record chat with a certain "Irish" radio presenter who was very critical about the situation at Coventry a couple of years ago then stopped talking about the situation...

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'm finding this a bit hard to swallow :thinking about:
The press don't get gagged unless it's a question of National Security or a serious police matter involving courts etc. Football doesn't come into it.

bigfatronssba

If you get a chance, have a little off the record chat with a certain "Irish" radio presenter who was very critical about the situation at Coventry a couple of years ago then stopped talking about the situation...

In fairness to him he still does a great job of letting his feelings be known without actually saying anything.

mrtrench

The press don't get gagged unless it's a question of National Security or a serious police matter involving courts etc. Football doesn't come into it.

Erm, Ryan Giggs?

wingy

Yes Its Odd how an Irish fella gets gagged yet a guy who presents and has worked for them previously can say speak for them as he often does ,Both freelance I believe.

TurkeyTrot

HH, write a story about me, if I can challenge even one sentence I will sue you, if I lose I WILL appeal.
How deep are your pockets?
Want to write that story now?

mrtrench

Possibly - just an example of how the press may not publish even when not a matter of national security.

Consider this - SISU is a litigious organisation, I would go as far as to conjecture that it is a key part of their strategy. They probably have in-house lawyers and it is relatively cheap for them to go through the legal process. However many others are not. Simply the threat of costly court action can be enough for an organisation to keel over - viz PrisonofMeasuredTimegate and the hugely popular and multi-talented all round great guy Les Reid.

Noggin

There is a big difference between a gagging order and a letter from a lawyer saying we are reading everything you write and if you put a single foot out of line we plan to sue and we won't give you access to the club if you don't tow the line. I don't belive for a second that the CT have been gagged but it's very possible they have been threatened and have responded by being very careful which has led to bland articles that havn't put sisu on the spot in the slightest. Honestly it's being generous to assume this is the reason for how the CT have behaved because otherwise they are just very very poor.

As much as Les likes to tell us over and over how he grilled Tim Fisher and Joy Seppala etc it's simply not true.

I think there is a reasonable chance things would have played out differently if we had a proper paper with balls, willing to stand up for what is right and whom is willing to ask and demand answers to searching questions.

James Smith

Oh yes they do! (It's Panto Season after all) If you're only worried mainly about one or two people/organisations then you just have your lawyers write to them with a nice big threatening letter suggesting. If it's a load of them then you went for the super injunction stopping any publication of anything.

I am not suggesting Sisu have done anything like this to the parties mentioned here. I an merely pointing out that this does go on.

Spionkop

Thought the Andy Turner article this week was pretty decent. Do read it before you jump down my throat.
However events are getting a shade sinister this past couple of days.
Good on you Mr David Conn for writing in The Guardian about the disaster that is CCFC and the calamitous tenure of the owners Sisu.

Noggin

Thought the Andy Turner article this week was pretty decent. Do read it before you jump down my throat.
However events are getting a shade sinister this past couple of days.
Good on you Mr David Conn for writing in The Guardian about the disaster that is CCFC and the calamitous tenure of the owners Sisu.

I wouldn't have jumped down your throat even if I'd disagreed, but I'd already read that article and agree that it was pretty good. The Telegraph havn't been terrible in all respects there has been some decent articles and there has been some information we didn't know (including from Les Reid) which I appreciated.

But that doesn't change the fact they have let us down, we could have had a much more united fan base and alot more and significant pressure could have been put on sisu (and alot earlier) had the telegraph been willing to ask the tough questions and demand they are answered properly, had they not printed article after article that was basically just spin from sisu and the club. Fisher was allowed to put out so much spin that was barely challenged, he was allowed to answer questions with nothing but spin, not answering the questions at all but we just moved on instead of saying hang on that isn't an answer. This was often (though not always) the case with cwr too.

Now I fully realise that my way of interviewing would have meant Fisher probably didn't come back for more but that would be preferable to what we got.

dadgad

The impression filtering down from the excellent article by CONN in the Guardian must tell us all we need to know about Sisu. Moreover, it demonstrates the importance of truth in this sorry saga. There is only one side who are keen to suppress this and is further evidence of how they must be resisted.

It is time to press for a wholesale boycott of Sixfields and the inevitable media interest that will follow.

The FA and FL must be squirming.

James Smith

I wouldn't have jumped down your throat even if I'd disagreed, but I'd already read that article and agree that it was pretty good. The Telegraph havn't been terrible in all respects there has been some decent articles and there has been some information we didn't know (including from Les Reid) which I appreciated.

But that doesn't change the fact they have let us down, we could have had a much more united fan base and alot more and significant pressure could have been put on sisu (and alot earlier) had the telegraph been willing to ask the tough questions and demand they are answered properly, had they not printed article after article that was basically just spin from sisu and the club. Fisher was allowed to put out so much spin that was barely challenged, he was allowed to answer questions with nothing but spin, not answering the questions at all but we just moved on instead of saying hang on that isn't an answer. This was often (though not always) the case with cwr too.

Now I fully realise that my way of interviewing would have meant Fisher probably didn't come back for more but that would be preferable to what we got.

If (and we don't have proof yet) it turns out that there has been legals against the press then it's hardly surprising very little that's negative or critical has been written. Just asking difficult questions could have nasty repercussions, and I don't mean not giving any more interviews.

Last edited:

RedSalmon

I can confirm that the certain Irish radio presenter has been told to stop talking about the situation on air. He told me that himself.

SkyblueBazza

This surely demands a Judicial Review of the right to freedom of speech...or should not the Court of Human Rights be interested in this kind of activity?
What concerns me is that ML/JS have a network of extremely wealthy investors...that gives them power & influence well beyond what most of us can comprehend. THAT is why they no doubt have got & will continue to get away with it!

Noggin

If (and we don't have proof yet) it turns out that there has been legals against the press then it's hardly surprising very little that's negative or critical has been written. Just asking difficult questions could have nasty repercussions, and I don't mean not giving any more interviews.

There is no law about asking difficult questions, you just need to make sure you aren't making allegations, I really don't think that is difficult to do. People should not be bullied, if the CT did receive threats then they should publish the threat, there were too many people who had misunderstandings of what happened because the paper and radio were allowing fishers spin, the truth was all that should have been necessary to turn everyone against sisu in one united voice, we don't have that and I think the media takes a significant amount of blame for that.

Skybluesquirrel

Newspapers have editors, sub editors and legal teams devoted to ensuring defamation laws are not breached. They have the resources to protect their interests. And it would appear they are subjected to threats.

Under libel/defamation laws, the burden of proof lies with the defendant. The onus is on the author (or news outlet) to prove the 'truth' behind the words published. And that can be very very costly, particularly when up against experienced lawyers, that can set traps and twist meanings.

As former PM Aneurin Bevan said, 'this is my truth tell me yours...'

Direct threats and warnings certainly make you reassess, even if you think you are 'telling the truth'.

Noggin

Simon Singh nearly had his life ruined by the chiropractic association and thats despite the support and resources he had to protect himself and despite the fact that that moral justice was clearly on his side.

dongonzalos

Or a footballer has had an affair and pays for a top barrister to get an injunction

dongonzalos

HH, write a story about me, if I can challenge even one sentence I will sue you, if I lose I WILL appeal.

Please don't tell me you are suggesting they would threaten to take legal action they probably won't win in order to try and cripple you financially?

Noggin

The Libel laws in this country and the insolvency laws clearly need a big overhaul, they both seem to benefit the villains in many cases.

Grendel

Other football clubs including our own have done this before. I don't know of one trying to sue fans though but perhaps mcginnity has been advising sisu on that one.

wingy

I'm glad you're posting today Noggin I concur entirely and you've saved me having to post,well nearly.

TurkeyTrot

The problem is laws regarding the internet are being fought all the time with test cases being set as it's all relatively new. The recent lord mcalpine retweets for example, would a good lawyer argue that a retweet and hyperlink are the same?
Introduce an anti terrorist law, use the same law to restrict movement of a demo then the next step is to use it against a football crowd.

Spionkop

Have to agree with you Noggin. The Coventry Telegraph have been often disappointing. With one or two notable exceptions. They supported the march, the petition.
The Sepalla 'interview' with Les Reid was a poor affair. Putting it mildly. I had hoped the Telegraph would stick up for the football team a bit more. The 'investigative' side of things is not looked at by them.
I don't listen to phone ins on the radio. Clive irritates me. Irritating as he could be, I was wishing for a Tony Butler like broadcaster. Remember him? Big Baggies fan, but he spoke his mind.
Sisu really have shot themselves in the foot with this apparent press gagging. I hope those few that go to Sixfields see them for what they are. We do need a total boycott.

stupot07

Good job no footballers have ever took out a super injunction to stop the media printing something about them they don't like :thinking about:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern

You can sue me for how ever much you want. I ain't got fuck all! Go ahead! Make my day!

savosdad

Banned
Let the twats try to silence this site up your Arse SISU hope we get a top home draw in round three love seeing you loose money [Expletive Deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread