Transfer Priorities (1 Viewer)

steve82

Jayden Stockley would be high on my list should we get promoted, Krystian Dennis too should a firm acceptable bid come from a club we cannot say no to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skybluepm2

For arguments sake, Burge has made 6 or 7 stupendous errors this season, the latest being on Saturday giving away a needless penalty. If we go up, he would certainly be into double figures. Don’t want him anywhere near the number 1 shirt.

Cavan O'Doherty

New GK, new LB, new RW and a new CM. Would also be tempted to put a bid in for John Akinde if we go up as the fee would be minimal if Barnet go down. Last year of his contract and the lure of league one football rather than national league.

shmmeee

GK, LB, RB, CB, DM, LW, RW, ST

Needed if we go up IMO. We may be able to put out an OK 11 with fewer signings, but the bench would be shocking. I also don’t expect Doyle to be as effective in L1.

SkyBlueCRJ

Jayden Stockley would be high on my list should we get promoted, Krystian Dennis too should a firm acceptable bid come from a club we cannot say no to.

I'd avoid Krystian Dennis personally. A friend who's a Chesterfield fan seems to think he's a one season wonder, offers very little else apart from tap ins and claims his attitude is nothing short of questionable at times.

skybluepm2

2 keepers, one preferably experienced.

Right back reserve for Grimmer.
Keep hold of all 4 centre halves, strongest area of the team.
Send Haynes to the job centre immediately. I’d like to retain Stokes personally but doubt he will be kept on so looking likely that we’ll have 2 new left backs.
Jones on the right, get rid of Vincenti
Andreu, Kelly, Doyle, Bayliss and Shipley competing for a solid cm
Left wing void to fill, release Reid. 3 wingers in total
McNulty keep at all costs, sign JCH permanently. With a full pre-season under his belt he could be immense. Biamou as backup with one other.

I suppose all of that may be blown out of the water if we don’t go up. That’ll be key to keeping most if not all of our better players.

steve82

I'd avoid Krystian Dennis personally. A friend who's a Chesterfield fan seems to think he's a one season wonder, offers very little else apart from tap ins and claims his attitude is nothing short of questionable at times.

I’d still take a good punt on him. I can imagine his attitude is questionable if he’s the only performer in a bad side, 19 league goals, 21 in all competitions for a see who are bottom of L2.

Got to more to him than tap ins. Had a good spell in the national league before joining Chesterfield 2 seasons ago.
Scored 22 league goals for a Macclesfield side who finished 10th.

Greggs

Shocked people suggesting replacing Doyle. He's played practically every minute of the season.

SkyBlueCRJ

I’d still take a good punt on him. I can imagine his attitude is questionable if he’s the only performer in a bad side, 19 league goals, 21 in all competitions for a see who are bottom of L2.

Got to more to him than tap ins. Had a good spell in the national league before joining Chesterfield 2 seasons ago.
Scored 22 league goals for a Macclesfield side who finished 10th.

Of course, it's hardly surprising his head has dropped once or twice this season given how poor his teammates have been so it's probably logical to take that with a pinch of salt. His record is impressive but is he a player that only excels if team tactics are revolved around him?

To be fair I can only speculate asI've only seen him play a handful of times and I'm reiterating information from another very 'bitter' Chesterfield fan (friend). I wouldn't complain if hypothetically we did sign him but there's other targets that I'd rather us go for as Dennis just isn't the type of player we need.

Given that I'm not totally convinced by the form of JCH or Biamou I'd love to bring John Akinde into the club. He only has a year left running on his contract and his fee shouldn't be extortionate as this season has been a disappointment for both club and player.

stupot07

So difficult to say without knowing which league we're in. That's not only going to have a big baring on where we need to strengthen because of lack of quality or numbers but also on the likelihood of losing players. If we're still in league two we are very likely to lose Willis, McNulty, Bayliss and probably Jones (don't forget thr window closes 4-5 games into the season so time to prove fitness.), and personally I wouldn't sign JCH on a permanent, especially if we get promoted. Then its who do we need to move on, particularly those that are on a 2 year contract and will have another 12 months to go - Vincenti for example.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stevefloyd

It depends what our goals are next season, and that is obviously dependent on what league we're in. However, one area I think we need to strengthen regards of what level we're playing at is on the wings. We need another 1-2, most likely a natural right footer as a deputy to Jones (hopefully we keep him), a second winger is dependent on whether we resign Reid or not, and if we're in L2 I'd resign him as he's got a good amount of assists off the bench.

In League 1, assuming we keep this team together, I think we'd need to strengthen at:
- GK (low priority)
- CB and LB
- CM, someone in the mould of Vincelot, I'd keep Doyle as a player-coach I think
- RM and LM probably (depends on MR's judgement on Reid)
- ST? Unsure on this one, JP could be ready for a breakthrough season, Biamou could might contribute and JCH has played in this league before

Just having Jones and Andreu back will change the dynamic of the team and I could even see us playing 4-2-3-1 with Andreu behind McNulty.

I see what you done there, a football goal or a rugby goal

Garryb80

So difficult to say without knowing which league we're in. That's not only going to have a big baring on where we need to strengthen because of lack of quality or numbers but also on the likelihood of losing players. If we're still in league two we are very likely to lose Willis, McNulty, Bayliss and probably Jones (don't forget thr window closes 4-5 games into the season so time to prove fitness.), and personally I wouldn't sign JCH on a permanent, especially if we get promoted. Then its who do we need to move on, particularly those that are on a 2 year contract and will have another 12 months to go - Vincenti for example.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Wasnt it agreed to close the window before the opening game for EFL games?

Captain Dart

Shocked people suggesting replacing Doyle. He's played practically every minute of the season.
Sure in League Two. He won't cut it in League One. He is 36, he can't be expected to perform forever.

steve82

My mistake appears thats just the premier league

You was correct the first time...

EFL rules are window closes Thursday 9th August at 5pm, the loan window however runs till 31st August.

SkyBlueCRJ

Although we shouldn't accept having below-par players in the team I'd be mindful about the amount of players we move on in the summer. A key objective over the next 2 months should be that we retain a nucleus of a team and start pre-season with a basis of a squad, otherwise I fear once again we'll be forced to bring in 10-12 new additions (which as we've seen since our relegation from the Championship, rarely works)

Realistically I can see 6-7 new additions being brought in. GK, LB, CM, RM, LM, ST. This list could obviously extend if the likes of Willis, Bayliss and McNulty move on to pastures new. But for the sake of argument I'll work off the squad we currently have.

In contrast, those who should depart including loanees: DeKE, Vincenti, Reid, Beavon, LO'B, Haynes (out on loan), JCH, Barrett, JMD, Baker.

Captain Dart

Although we shouldn't accept having below-par players in the team I'd be mindful about the amount of players we move on in the summer. A key objective over the next 2 months should be that we retain a nucleus of a team and start pre-season with a basis of a squad, otherwise I fear once again we'll be forced to bring in 10-12 new additions (which as we've seen since our relegation from the Championship, rarely works)

Realistically I can see 6-7 new additions being brought in. GK, LB, CM, RM, LM, ST. This list could obviously extend if the likes of Willis, Bayliss and McNulty move on to pastures new. But for the sake of argument I'll work off the squad we currently have.

In contrast, those who should depart including loanees: DeKE, Vincenti, Reid, Beavon, LO'B, Haynes (out on loan), JCH, Barrett, JMD, Baker.

Definitely don't think Baker is worth a contract in league one.

ptr

Of course, it's hardly surprising his head has dropped once or twice this season given how poor his teammates have been so it's probably logical to take that with a pinch of salt. His record is impressive but is he a player that only excels if team tactics are revolved around him?

To be fair I can only speculate asI've only seen him play a handful of times and I'm reiterating information from another very 'bitter' Chesterfield fan (friend). I wouldn't complain if hypothetically we did sign him but there's other targets that I'd rather us go for as Dennis just isn't the type of player we need.

Given that I'm not totally convinced by the form of JCH or Biamou I'd love to bring John Akinde into the club. He only has a year left running on his contract and his fee shouldn't be extortionate as this season has been a disappointment for both club and player.

Akinde was awful against us at the Ricoh, first touch was abysmal

SkyBlueCRJ

Akinde was awful against us at the Ricoh, first touch was abysmal

He's had a poor season, as have the majority of Barnet's squad but his goalscoring record can't be ignored... Last season and the season before he amassed 50 goals in just over 100 appearances at League 2 level. Who would you rather over him?

SkyBlueCRJ

Definitely don't think Baker is worth a contract in league one.

Unless he applies to be our next head of recruitment I wouldn't offer him a contract at all. I was seriously rooting for him when he was was initially struggling for fitness but it's evident now that whatever fitness levels he had, has clearly gone. Time to retire potentially.

steve82

Big John Akinde, not sure on him. Missed the first 3rd of the season and hasn’t appeared to show the form he’s shown in previous seasons. Powerful and effective in L2 on his day but I’m not sure he fits the bill for what we need and way we play.

I’d look at other targets, tho they depend on who’s on the retained list, what league were in and here still come the close of the window

Liquid Gold

Akinde has fitness issues and Barnet were asking £1.5m for him last summer. There are better out there. We got McNumpty on a free!

SkyBlueCRJ

Big John Akinde, not sure on him. Missed the first 3rd of the season and hasn’t appeared to show the form he’s shown in previous seasons. Powerful and effective in L2 on his day but I’m not sure he fits the bill for what we need and way we play.

I’d look at other targets, tho they depend on who’s on the retained list, what league were in and here still come the close of the window

His form has been questionable this season, granted. But I think he's exactly what we need within our squad. A goalscoring, strong out and out CF that won't shy away from ruffling defences. Wasn't this the reason JCH was brought in? Something I might add he seems to actively avoid doing now by spending half the time reenacting Swan Lake...

What type of player would you say we need assuming we don't get promoted this season?

steve82

His form has been questionable this season, granted. But I think he's exactly what we need within our squad. A goalscoring, strong out and out CF that won't shy away from ruffling defences. Wasn't this the reason JCH was brought in? Something I might add he seems to actively avoid doing now by spending half the time reenacting Swan Lake...

What type of player would you say we need assuming we don't get promoted this season?

Good question. On the current squad with the permanent signature of JCH which I thinks just a formality isn’t it?

I’d be in for a strong powerful old fashioned target man to compliment what we’ve got.

A striker similar to Tom Pope, Matt Rhead, Marc Richards. But more in the mould of Jayden Stockley.

Something in between the two would be ideal. A league two James Hanson, Charlie Wyke who can make the transition to L1 when it happens.

Londonccfcfan

We should learn from our policy that loans don't generally work. Especially when you have 6/7 of them.
Good question. On the current squad with the permanent signature of JCH which I thinks just a formality isn’t it?

I’d be in for a strong powerful old fashioned target man to compliment what we’ve got.

A striker similar to Tom Pope, Matt Rhead, Marc Richards. But more in the mould of Jayden Stockley.

Something in between the two would be ideal. A league two James Hanson, Charlie Wyke who can make the transition to L1 when it happens.

Matt Rhead, Yes he did score a good goal vs us. And bully our defenders. But....
Imo would mean a step backwards for me, not for Cov, if we buy a donkey like him would mean complete change of tactics and philosophy. We are better than that, we can afford to get a player who can play a level above like Collins/Richards and would prefer a more mobile physical beast who offers more. Ie like Bowery, or Dennis for me.

SkyBlueCRJ

This is the issue though who realistically is there to fit this mould other than the odd veteran? Maybe I'm being agist but I'd prefer someone younger than those mentioned in your post as our experience with the over 30's club has been a disaster in recent years. But, in hindsight I suppose we don't have such a luxury to turn our nose up at the likes of Matt Rhead as the Charlie Wyke's of this world will be immediately be snapped up by those in the higher leagues. I do agree with you though we certainly need a player of this mould but it concerns me that there's so few out there that aren't 32+ or out of our price range.

I'm unsure what the situation is with JCHs' contract. Whether it's our choice, his choice or whether it's dependant on us achieving promotion.

steve82

We should learn from our policy that loans don't generally work. Especially when you have 6/7 of them.

Matt Rhead, Yes he did score a good goal vs us. And bully our defenders. But....
Imo would mean a step backwards for me, not for Cov, if we buy a donkey like him would mean complete change of tactics and philosophy. We are better than that, we can afford to get a player who can play a level above like Collins/Richards and would prefer a more mobile physical beast who offers more. Ie like Bowery, or Dennis for me.

This is the issue though who realistically is there to fit this mould other than the odd veteran? Maybe I'm being agist but I'd prefer someone younger than those mentioned in your post as our experience with the over 30's club has been a disaster in recent years. But, in hindsight I suppose we don't have such a luxury to turn our nose up at the likes of Matt Rhead as the Charlie Wyke's of this world will be immediately be snapped up by those in the higher leagues. I do agree with you though we certainly need a player of this mould but it concerns me that there's so few out there that aren't 32+ or out of our price range.

I'm unsure what the situation is with JCHs' contract. Whether it's our choice, his choice or whether it's dependant on us achieving promotion.

That’s the thing I’m trying to explain, but didn’t put it across too well I think.

We need a type of striker who can bully a defence and take central defenders into areas and battles most really don’t want to go to, like your Matt Rheads and Tom Popes. Yet they have limited ability on the ball, or not as comfortable with the ball at there feet and prefer it in the air where they thrive.

James Collins is a better version you rightly point out who I forgot to include bizarrely. Him and Jayden Stockley are the more common ground I’d like to see as they can play both aspects of the game. Comfortable on the ball but are happy to go to war and get rough.

As pointed out these type of strikers are hard to find who aren’t in the age brackets of your 32+ club and the ones who can play and be physical are playing at a higher level.

You can find a few senior pros but come with battle scars of a long career like Alex Revel, Marc Richards where the legs are failing now.

This the type of striker I feel we need to assist getting out L2 from November to early March when we’re slugging it out on poor pitches when the football isn’t pretty or in tight games to occupy the central defenders for the clever players like McNulty to find the pockets of space to get the goals.

Think I’ve explained it better

Users who are viewing this thread