Tour de France (1 Viewer)

stupot07

I wish I was. Really wanted to go, but it's a long way to go to watch 30 seconds of action albeit with an amazing atmospherez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Covstu

I went to Cambridge today, it was awesome. We left yesterday and spent the day in Cambridge town centre (and a all dayer) then today we rode about 15miles to a little village parked the bikes up and waiting 4hrs for them to come. It was a good atmosphere and plenty of beer so the time went quickly. The front two buzzed by followed by the peleton 4 mins later. We were up a small hill but the speed these guys go is unbelievable, I am a capable cyclist but not even close to these guys!

We rode back to the pub and watched the rest and had a BBQ on! Baking hot day and couldn't believe it was pissing down in London! I know people will say why bother for 30 seconds of action but the greatest road race doesn't come to the UK every year so I just could not have missed it. It was one to say 'I was there'.

Covstu

its a franchise, everyone wants to see it. Its the world cup of cycling in effect.

turlykerd

I understand that CS.... But the tour of France can't start in Yorkshire
It should be tour de monde or tour de Europe .
I know its the biggest cycle race and its like the world championship of road races and i would have loved to have been there...
But the name still annoys me (a little too much I guess)

stupot07

I went to Cambridge today, it was awesome. We left yesterday and spent the day in Cambridge town centre (and a all dayer) then today we rode about 15miles to a little village parked the bikes up and waiting 4hrs for them to come. It was a good atmosphere and plenty of beer so the time went quickly. The front two buzzed by followed by the peleton 4 mins later. We were up a small hill but the speed these guys go is unbelievable, I am a capable cyclist but not even close to these guys!

We rode back to the pub and watched the rest and had a BBQ on! Baking hot day and couldn't believe it was pissing down in London! I know people will say why bother for 30 seconds of action but the greatest road race doesn't come to the UK every year so I just could not have missed it. It was one to say 'I was there'.

I'm v jealous. I really wanted to go, glad you had a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

jimmyhillsfanclub

I went to Yorkshire.....It was mental busy & a fantastic atmosphere.

Rode 50 miles to Hebden Bridge from Manchester on the Friday, scaling no less than 7 categorised climbs totalling over 6000ft. (inc. Holme Moss). exactly 4 hours riding time which I was chuffed with TBH.

Stayed in pub B&B, drank too much, had a little ride the next day to try & stretch the aches away.....but it was too painful so went to the pub to watch the tour & World cup.

Stayed another night & then watched the tour come past the pub door on the Sunday.....7 leaders followed by peloton about 4 mins later.

Only down side is that we couldn't get our bikes back on the trains as they were packed out & had to queue for over an hour just to get into the station.....so I've gotta go back next weekend to collect 3 bikes from a Yorkshire pub.

Covstu

I went to Yorkshire.....It was mental busy & a fantastic atmosphere.

Rode 50 miles to Hebden Bridge from Manchester on the Friday, scaling no less than 7 categorised climbs totalling over 6000ft. (inc. Holme Moss). exactly 4 hours riding time which I was chuffed with TBH.

Stayed in pub B&B, drank too much, had a little ride the next day to try & stretch the aches away.....but it was too painful so went to the pub to watch the tour & World cup.

Stayed another night & then watched the tour come past the pub door on the Sunday.....7 leaders followed by peloton about 4 mins later.

Only down side is that we couldn't get our bikes back on the trains as they were packed out & had to queue for over an hour just to get into the station.....so I've gotta go back next weekend to collect 3 bikes from a Yorkshire pub.

Wow, thats seems like a painful route there Jimmy! I would love to do Holme Moss one day, it looked so steep!

Did you watch Armstrong thing?

jimmyhillsfanclub

Wow, thats seems like a painful route there Jimmy! I would love to do Holme Moss one day, it looked so steep!

Did you watch Armstrong thing?

Ha ha....yeah...my toughest ride for about 20 years. We climbed Holme Moss in the other direction, so it was a little longer, but not quite as steep.
Funnily enough, the only climb I had to get off the bike for was not categorised, but was a short climb on a back lane past slaithwaite reservoir that hit 29% incline.....I didn't have the gears or the legs to cope with that!

I taped the Armstrong thing last night....The Mrs. is already getting sick of me hogging the big telly for all the tour highlights & world cup games....

....I haven't got the heart to tell her The Open starts next week:D

jimmyhillsfanclub

PS: I have one eye on doing Cragg Vale next weekend whne I go to collect the bikes.....its the longest continuous ascent in the UK....5.5 miles of constant pain. Can't wait:D

Covstu

29%! you would need a ladder and a banjo wheel for that one!! I looked at Cragg Vale for another on the cycling bucket list too. The problem is disappearing for the weekend to get it done so i am trying not to take the piss too much with the wife!

We normally do about 50-70 mile every sunday, head down towards the cotswolds, battle edge Hill and Sunrising etc. Good workout but nothing compared to some other routes around!

henry the wasp

Went up on Saturday afternoon. Stayed on a site in ingbirchworth, where i spotted a caravan with a ccfc flag in the window. Cycled to Holme Moss at 6am on the sunday. Felt like I was going backwards at times.
Superb day and would be great for a one day classic.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Went up on Saturday afternoon. Stayed on a site in ingbirchworth, where i spotted a caravan with a ccfc flag in the window. Cycled to Holme Moss at 6am on the sunday. Felt like I was going backwards at times.
Superb day and would be great for a one day classic.

So you scaled Holme Moss in the same direction as le tour then? Top effort fella.
Did you have a tail-wind that early in the morning? We had the wind in our face when we climbed it in the other direction on the Friday lunchtime.....luckily the heavens didn't open until later in the day, so we only got soaked in the saddle for the last 90 mins...

henry the wasp

So you scaled Holme Moss in the same direction as le tour then? Top effort fella.
Did you have a tail-wind that early in the morning? We had the wind in our face when we climbed it in the other direction on the Friday lunchtime.....luckily the heavens didn't open until later in the day, so we only got soaked in the saddle for the last 90 mins...

No.Went through Penistone over the dunford bridge, woodhead pass. Pretty calm most of the way. Rained for 20 minutes max but it bucketed down. No way would I have done it the other way. The dutch game went to extra time and pens so we opened another bottle of red the night before. Big mistake. I did it on a mountain bike which was another mistake but thought I would do more off road than I did. After the sunday I was in bits. Got back yesterday.
Anyone know who the cov fan was on Ingfield farm?

Users who are viewing this thread