Tony Mowbray (1 Viewer)

Irish Sky Blue

I know I will be whistling in the wind on this and will be jumped on by lots on here. I can't be bothered to post the same thing on three or four threads calling for TM to go. This is my view on why Mowbray should stay. I have watched Coventry City from 1967 to the present. I only say this as it means I have seen the amount of times that removing a manager has made things better in the long term. Thinking back, Noel Cantwell going to be replaced by Mercer and Milne saw an era of dour football replaced by bright,, attacking and reasonably successful football. (Cantwell was given nearly 5 years to succeed and had to follow on from Jimmy Hill. A five year stint as a manager at one club is almost unheard of now). Don Makay's replacement by Curtis and Sillett again produced exciting football and our most exciting time ever. ( Not sure if Makay' was sacked or resigned though so might not count).
By my reckoning there have been 27 permenent managers from JH to TM. Only Mark Robbins moved on to another club through his choice. The vast majority of the rest were sacked, some shamefully ( Sillett himself and Eric Black Spring to mind). The one thing this shows is that sacking the manager very rarely works In the modern era, the past twenty years, at our club, it has made no long term improvement at all. In fact, the policy of getting rid of managers quickly has added to the tormoil going on, no long term plan and has cost hundreds of thousands of pounds in paying people off.

So let's do it all again in the vague hope that the next one will "get it right". History shows that they almost certainly won't and that in 9, 12 or 18 months time all those on here saying TM must go will be doing exactly the same thing again about his replacement.

I have never called for the sacking of a manager. However, I would be particularly disappointed when Sisu inevitably cave in, pull the trigger and we start the merry go round again. Of all our recent managers Mowbrey comes across as having a long term vision, a plan for us as a club.He is looking to the long term and needs to have the time to bring his ideas to fruition. He comes across as honest and honourable, a real old school football man. Yes he mumbles and is repetitive in his after match comments. Stick a microphone under anyone's nose on here 10 minutes after another defeat and ask them to give concise coherent comment and I think we would all find it difficult.
Lots on here seem to know that his budget is comparable to this team and that team and must be more than that of Fleetwood. How do you know? Where does that info come from? I think it is supposition and guess work.
Rosler "out thought" TM yesterday, he is more tactically aware, we could have had him in the summer. Would Wigan or Leeds fans agree that he is a tactical genius? I heard the same things said about Graham Westley in comparison to TM last season after we had outplayed but lost to Peterborough. Westley, a tactical genius that night according to some of our fans, was sacked a few games later. He, like TM and every other manager, is a genius after a few wins and is hopeless after two defeats.
I've been disappointed by our signings this summer as I think we need experience and I think we need a goal scorer. Is this all TM's fault? Probably he has made mistakes. Would someone else do any better due to the short term nature of our owners and life in the third division? Probably not.
I've been to two away games so far this season, Norwich and Fleetwood. We were poor in both games. Yesterday I thought we were terrible. Was there a big difference between Fleetwood at the top of the league and us at the bottom? No. I didn't think they were any better than us. Would a new manager make any long term difference to games like this? Probably not. Mowbrey tries to play the right way. When his team's get it right they are fast, exciting and score goals. He needs time to do that again here. With these owners and with the situation we find ourselves in it is hard to see any other manager succeeding.
I have said my piece. No doubt it will be jumped on by many. My parting shot would be the fact that sacking the manager has been tried over and over by this and most other clubs. It does not work. Why not try something different this time, stick with a good football man, ride out the bad times and see where it gets us.

rupert_bear

I don't think Tony Mowbray should be sacked on the back of the Fleetwood result and performance, he had a number of new players available, kids, and needs a bit of time to sort them out, but the way we are set up, play tactically and managed throughout a game lands on the TM doorstep, is it him ? Is it his assistant, Mark Venus or the first team coach, Jamie Clapham a combination of all three, I don't know, all I do know the facts show it has hardly been right since the New Year and we are 4 weeks into the new season and it is far from right, we leak goals, can't create or score, or look like scoring, so when is enough an enough ? Will we tumble even further, we have home games coming up after Millwall away Wimbledon and Oldham and I suspect neither will bring in more than 8/9000 home fans and the away will be able to come in a taxi, that I suspect will test the sisu waters especially if we don't win, poor gates do cost our owners money, budgeting for 14000 and getting less than 9 leaves a £100k plus short fall a game, getting on for 2 million for the season, so firing the manager and / or his assistants and paying them off becomes a viable option.

chinamans view

I do think TM and MV have made mistakes on how to recruit at this level, but he must now be given time with this group of players to show us if he is a good manager and can get them playing good football, this is the time for all managers at this level to earn there money and prove there ability . We will see in the next few months if TM is worth his salary.

skyblue1991

Mowbray has this easy and he knows it.

If he is sacked it's SISU's fault
If he resigns it's SISU's fault

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

dongonzalos

Grendel

The longest a manager has had in the last 15 years is 2 years

Will we ever learn?

The only times we have been relegated in the last half a century was when we stuck by a manager who was clearly crashing to relegation.

Let's hope we have learnt.

Hobo

The only times we have been relegated in the last half a century was when we stuck by a manager who was clearly crashing to relegation.

But one of the best periods in our history was Gordon Milne.

Martin180

TM is trying to rebuild a squad , he hasn't got it right by a long chalk but you can see the policy he is putting in place.Last season we massively overachieved and this has lead to a huge expectation for more of the same this season.

For me TM needs another 2-3 seasons to continue the rebuild and bring through the youth/academy players we have

bawtryneal

Mowbray has this easy and he knows it.

If he is sacked it's SISU's fault
If he resigns it's SISU's fault

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

But either way he will still be out of work. He will not want it on his CV and would be gutted
Give him longer and extend his contract for me. We are lucky to have him and whoever replaces him will be less experienced
Agree totally with Irish comments.

stupot07

Who would you appoint in his place ??
There will be lots of managers out there haooy to come and take the reigns. I would give him another couple of games, but he needs to turn this around and quickly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brylowes

You're right,
CCFC is a superbly run football club, a well oiled machine, that provides a sound
Platform and the tools required for a manager to concentrate on the footballing
side of the club.
And.
All managers are shit.

Nick

Administrator
You're right,
CCFC is a superbly run football club, a well oiled machine, that provides a sound
Platform and the tools required for a manager to concentrate on the footballing
side of the club.
And.
All managers are shit.
The old "you must be happy" reply, standard

Snouty72

We get rid of TM now and the new man can't use the loan system and has to use the same men Mowbray has bought in. Like it or not, surely we're better sticking with him and hope it clicks.

Nick

Administrator
Mowbray obviously isn't playing the right way if we are losing though is he?

Playing the right way would be to the players strengths rather than trying to cram them into a system wherever.

As seen by other league 1 managers who play however it gets results, whether it is long ball or kicking the opposition. There's no point trying to play football a certain way if it doesn't work.

Martin180

Sorry, it that because he is too expensive, wouldn't come or you think he is not good enough? A multi promotion winner at Swansea, Millwall and Wolves, ousted at Wolves by the new owners keen to bring their own man in.
Can't think of a single reason why he would come here , you ?

NortonSkyBlue

Playing the right way would be to the players strengths rather than trying to cram them into a system wherever.

As seen by other league 1 managers who play however it gets results, whether it is long ball or kicking the opposition. There's no point trying to play football a certain way if it doesn't work.
I agree Nick. Winning games is a philosophy lost on us at present so I am bothered about points on the board. That will save Mowbray's job for sure.

Snouty72

I agree. The system is not working yet and arguably needs changing.

JulianDarbyFTW

I think that the change to the loan system may well see a change in the way managers are sacked. Why get rid of someone just after a transfer window, when the new manager will be hamstrung by the old manager's players. If there is a change, i expect it will be around the end of November / start of December, giving the new guy time to see what we have at our disposal and to draw up a new list of targets.

Still, I think TM is the right man for the job. We have to give him time to get the players working as he wants. Imho, this is a rebuild job that will take a couple of years to get right, and this may well be a season of consolidation; get the youngsters experienced and ready to push on next year. That may not sound appealing, but I think it's the reality.

Martin180

I think that the change to the loan system may well see a change in the way managers are sacked. Why get rid of someone just after a transfer window, when the new manager will be hamstrung by the old manager's players. If there is a change, i expect it will be around the end of November / start of December, giving the new guy time to see what we have at our disposal and to draw up a new list of targets.

Still, I think TM is the right man for the job. We have to give him time to get the players working as he wants. Imho, this is a rebuild job that will take a couple of years to get right, and this may well be a season of consolidation; get the youngsters experienced and ready to push on next year. That may not sound appealing, but I think it's the reality.
Totally agree , a revolving door policy doesn't lend itself to stability .At some point we have to invest time in a manager and endure a period of consolidation .Its been proven in all divisions that this is the only way to move forward

Otis

There will be lots of managers out there haooy to come and take the reigns. I would give him another couple of games, but he needs to turn this around and quickly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yep, agree, though I would say we need to give him 10-12 games rather than just a couple.

Users who are viewing this thread