Thorn - I won't let Gunner leave without a fight. (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

attachment.php

Coventry City manager Andy Thorn has said he will not allow Aron Gunnarsson to leave the club without a fight.

The 22 year old Iceland international yesterday rejected the offered new deal, but then came back with a list of demands of his own.

Thorn is hopeful of persuading Gunnarsson to remain a Sky Blue and get him to agree a long term deal with the club.

It was Thorn who originally scouted and recommended Gunnarsson to the club and was instrumental in securing his signature and he said,

“We will do all we can to keep him at the club. Negotiations are on-going."

"We would like to know sooner rather than later but at the end of the day we want to keep the boy and we will do everything we can. We’d like him to stay. The chairman is working hard on it, talking to Aron’s representative and we are hoping we can keep him here.”

rob9872

Depends what terms were offered to begin with. He's not worth pushing the boat out for and if his heart isn't in it then he should go, but knowing us we've probably tried to sign him for half a shandy and a packet of prawn cocktail.

Moff

Well if he wont let him leave without a fight i am sure Thorn will win, lets face it he is massive compared to Gunna ;)

rob9872

Good job he didn't use that line with King although as we know Thorny would have had to wear a skirt before Marlon punched his lights out

dazzled2u

Well I for one hope Thorn does pursuade him to stay.
I think Thorn has the man manage skills to develop Gunnar into his full potential and he's shown glimpses of what he is capable of achieving.

Gunnar and Clingan has the potetntial be a great partnership in the middle of the park we could do a great deal worse.

Sutty

If he signs he's the next big thing, if he doesn't he's a greedy bastard who isn't that good anyway.

No grey area with CCFC fans.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Just a few thoughts ....

- have heard similar statements from CCFC managers before and rarely have they turned into positive news
- think Gunnar could be an asset to the club and is worth keeping but not at any price ... his best is yet to come
- says a lot to the fans if we cant keep any of the "3" about our ambition, but also reaffirms our financial position
- In terms of PR Gunnar is very good wih the supporters and kids
- think he showed at U21's (despite sending off) that he can compete with the best of his peers
- under AT he started to play much better and seemed to be getting his spark back
- the club making the right noises but know they are guaranteed some money if he goes elsewhere in this country so is it PR?
- Apparently for Gunnar it isnt just the money it is his development as well (and thats how it should be) however it is worrying how many players do not believe or doubt in the CCFC mode of development
- why is it ok for KW to do whats best for his development but not Gunnar? He could get a place in a premiership squad be with better players and be paid more for doing it, but may not play as much
- he could go to another Championship team on more money and play regularly and I really couldnt blame him
- Once again CCFC have problems negotiating contracts, remember before the "3" we had promises made to Fox Dann Westwood & Gunnar ...... all ex or likely to be ex city players. Even the youngsters think carefully before signing. Why does it keep happening ?

sotv1987

Just a few thoughts ....

- have heard similar statements from CCFC managers before and rarely have they turned into positive news
- think Gunnar could be an asset to the club and is worth keeping but not at any price ... his best is yet to come
- says a lot to the fans if we cant keep any of the "3" about our ambition, but also reaffirms our financial position
- In terms of PR Gunnar is very good wih the supporters and kids
- think he showed at U21's (despite sending off) that he can compete with the best of his peers
- under AT he started to play much better and seemed to be getting his spark back
- the club making the right noises but know they are guaranteed some money if he goes elsewhere in this country so is it PR?
- Apparently for Gunnar it isnt just the money it is his development as well (and thats how it should be) however it is worrying how many players do not believe or doubt in the CCFC mode of development
- why is it ok for KW to do whats best for his development but not Gunnar? He could get a place in a premiership squad be with better players and be paid more for doing it, but may not play as much
- he could go to another Championship team on more money and play regularly and I really couldnt blame him
- Once again CCFC have problems negotiating contracts, remember before the "3" we had promises made to Fox Dann Westwood & Gunnar ...... all ex or likely to be ex city players. Even the youngsters think carefully before signing. Why does it keep happening ?

Great post and agree entirely, but, shiiiiit, have you got some time on your hands!!!!!!!!!!!, any jobs going at your place!!!!!!:claping hands:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
wouldnt give any of my staff this much time sotv ! :p

pusbccfc

Great player works well, and has started to perform like his old days, it would be fantastic to keep him IMO

skybluegod

Depends what terms were offered to begin with. He's not worth pushing the boat out for and if his heart isn't in it then he should go, but knowing us we've probably tried to sign him for half a shandy and a packet of prawn cocktail.
I think he wanted two packs:claping hands::claping hands:

Frostie

A few little snippets from a good source;

The offer made to Gunnarsson is relatively meagre compared to some of his team-mates. As we plucked him from relative insecurity he was on far less than you'd expect of a first team player at this level so whilst the offer on the table is a significant increase its still some way short of other key players & some way short of other offers he has received.

BurbageSkyBlues

Hmmmm.......methinks our PR guru is earning his keep.

The club seems to have developed the ability to turn these rebels into villains, and installed a 'siege mentality' into the fans, so we fight tooth and nail when our backs are against the wall.....

blueflint

hey old skyblue spot on again i couldn't agree more with that we need help very badly as we cant go on weakening our squad

ccfc_Tom

I'd like him to stay if the wages are right but depends what we could get in a tribunal..probably a pittance.

Users who are viewing this thread