This was my era . what was yours ? (2 Viewers)

Otis

I love that kit too. Great memories.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Great stuff! Just a reminder of what a great player Colin Stein was and also reminded me that Hugh Johns was the only person on the entire planet who used to called Mick Coop, Mike Coop!!

Remember his catch phrase after a goal had been scored - "We've got a whole new ball game going!"

lifeskyblue

I liked Coleman on the other sports shows such as Question of Sport but like you preferred Motson and Davies doing the football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kneeza

First match of 1964/5 for me, at age 11, with my dad and granddad. We stood on the terrace in front of the brand new Sky Blue Stand at the end nearest the Kop. Can't remember who we played, but we won 2-0 or 2-1 I think) and I recall filing out afterwards and saying "Well, that's two points in the bag" which caused them to exchange glances!
Not sure if I'm right, but I think that was the season that Harold Wilson visited for the Huddersfield match, which I seem to recall us losing.

Edit: age 10, not 11!

Last edited:
My era commenced in 1962 on the arrival of JH and have seen approx 1500 games since then home and away.

Seen a multitude of fabulous games and players including the likes of Hudson/Hutch/Glazier/Curtis/Wallace/ Dublin/Huckerby - plus many many others.

It's been a rollercoaster of emotions over the years: heartache, despair, elation and wonderment at what this "little" club has achieved: 34 years unbroken in top division plus of course 1987.

I think we have a potential fabulous fan base just waiting for better things which hopefully with TM at the helm will surely make advances not seen for many seasons

oakey

Boxing Day 1970. A Christmas present and the only time my dad took me even though he had watched City avidly in the Clarrie Bourton and old 5 days.
I sat in the last seat on the West End side of the Sky blue stand and nearly froze to death. It was a 1-1 draw with 2 penalties, ours by Neil Martin, I think but John O'Rourke was my favourite. I was 10.
I didn't get taken again, by my uncle this time, until Stein and Hutch arrived when I was 12.
The 70s was the best era I have witnessed. Stacks of good players and a genuinely competitive league in which we beat one or more of the top teams each season... But always managed to lose to the worst, of course.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Didn't care for Coleman much, or the 1 nil quip. Always came across as a bit arrogant in his commentary. Much preferred Motson and Davies.

Got taken to the Cov v Everton "donkey kick" game as a birthday present.

We went in the Main Stand and before the game went into one of the new posh bars for a lemonade (literally - I was about 11). Barry Davies was in there having a pre-match drink and had quite a chat with my Dad.

He was my favourite before that - but that sealed it.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

1977- for 3 years we were brilliant . Anyone regular would know that one of the reasons we had such a big crowd at the well documented 2-2 draw with Bristol City was that despite our desperate position in the league we were on a roll - we all knew that if we stayed up we would be a force to be reckoned with the next season. Things were beginning to click - and we were not disappointed. I was very very fortunate to begin supporting city at this time. Gordon Milne did a lot to revitalise a club that had slipped into the doledrums after the jimmy hill era. Some great players and fantastic games.

wingy

1977- for 3 years we were brilliant . Anyone regular would know that one of the reasons we had such a big crowd at the well documented 2-2 draw with Bristol City was that despite our desperate position in the league we were on a roll - we all knew that if we stayed up we would be a force to be reckoned with the next season. Things were beginning to click - and we were not disappointed. I was very very fortunate to begin supporting city at this time. Gordon Milne did a lot to revitalise a club that had slipped into the doledrums after the jimmy hill era. Some great players and fantastic games.
The West ham semi the culmination of his work IIRC.

Brylowes

Forest around that time proved that clubs our size really could achieve the impossible ,
it could of been us,we really were a good team then.

skybluelee

Started supporting the club the day after we beat Liverpool 4-0 (10 Dec 83) after watching the highlights on MOTD. My dad told me me we played like that every week, bastard.

First game was in October 84, beat Sheff Weds with a Terry Gibson penalty.

I remember hero worshipping that 84/85 side like they were gods. Loved the kit, even used to wear it under my school uniform. I swear I would have passed out with the excitement of it all if I had ever got to meet Oggy, Cyrille or Terry Gibson in person. I cried for days when we sold Gibson to Man U.

torchomatic

Yeah, despite our precarious league positions those years were brilliant.

Started supporting the club the day after we beat Liverpool 4-0 (10 Dec 83) after watching the highlights on MOTD. My dad told me me we played like that every week, bastard.

First game was in October 84, beat Sheff Weds with a Terry Gibson penalty.

I remember hero worshipping that 84/85 side like they were gods. Loved the kit, even used to wear it under my school uniform. I swear I would have passed out with the excitement of it all if I had ever got to meet Oggy, Cyrille or Terry Gibson in person. I cried for days when we sold Gibson to Man U.

Skyblueweeman

Didn't care for Coleman much, or the 1 nil quip. Always came across as a bit arrogant in his commentary. Much preferred Motson and Davies.

My mother looked after Coleman in his final years at his care home, along with his wife. He came across that way, even in his final years.

sky_blue_up_north

City v Huddersfield. About Oct/Nov 1964. We lost (2-3 I think) but I was hooked from that day!

Think that was the game Harold Wilson attended....

sky_blue_up_north

Saw everything through Sky Blue tinted glasses . great days .
CbvadwkW0AAsLZ9.jpg:large

Just about the best side we ever had IMO...

Skyblueweeman

Blimey. I'm really feeling my age purely cos I know which Brian Moore he meant and you don't!

I just thought that as some commentators were mentioned, that it was the rugby one that was being referred to.

I'm 36 this year....anything earlier than the 80's and I'd need to refer to books!

sky_blue_up_north

Firstly, a few of the team back then. John Austin, Lol Harvey, Peter Hill, Jimmy Hill, Roy Kirk, Alan Moore, Colin Colindridge, Dennis Uphill, Charlie Timmins, Ray Sambrook, Ken Mcpherson. Ken Jones, Iain Jamieson, Noel Simpson and George Curtis !

I was 14 that season and, although I had been going to Highfield Road since 1952, this was the season when I became hooked. Gates were around 7 - 8,000 prior to our relegation to Division Four (now Division Two). After relegation gates rocketed as we sought promotion back to Divison Three, vying with Port Vale for top spot, reaching 28,000 for one game. The atmosphere back then was great ! Rattles, singing, no violence. Highfield Road was a typical old fashioned, dated stadium and I loved it.

Like most teenagers I wecomed the changes introduced, but saddened we changed our strip. Everything seemed to be going forward at such a fast pace as football changed into the modern game we know now,

But I have my memories !
Bet you write a book on some of your brilliant memories.... love hearing about the team before my era started in the early 60's.

sky_blue_up_north

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
1994 season for me was 11 i was man united supporter and saw them play coventry on tv fell in love with jersey been supporter ever since

Users who are viewing this thread