This Town (3 Viewers)

rob9872

Done first 4 will finish it tonight. Excellent so far.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I've seen two. Very good .
Like the way (so far) Coventry people have Birmingham accents. As expected.

rob9872

I've seen two. Very good .
Like the way (so far) Coventry people have Birmingham accents. As expected.
Tbf that's how the rest of the world see us, but I guess only like me considering all southerners are cockneys

The Great Eastern

Also seen the 1st 4 episodes and will watch the last 2 tonight. Mostly filmed in Chelmsley Wood with Cov cathedral being the only bit I recognise as being 100% Cov. Pretty sure the several canal viaduct scenes were filmed at the M5/M6 junction.
Great series up to now and takes me back to my 20s. Got Peaky Blinders style all over it.

M&B Stand

Was the Irish Grandmother killed or did she have a heart attack? Or are we just meant to not actually know??!

Nick

Administrator
Do you need to watch a few to get into it? Nearly through the first one but struggling to get into it so far.

The Great Eastern

Now watched it all. Loved it ! It might just induce a ska/two tone revival... Who knows ?
Sincerely hope theres a second series to show how the band progresses (or doesnt...) Quite a few unanswered questions !

SkyBlueCharlie9

Its excelllent. Very creatively written and filmed with some brilliant acting too. Yes there is a lot of artistic license in the storyline weaving together the issues of the time but its done so cleverly. I was 9 in 1981 so was not really into 2Tone but sense it captivates the time very well. BBC as ever always support and promote the very best dramas and writers that capture the different stories of places and their people.

rob9872

Lots of inconsistencies that I can't help but notice (even small detail like the pvc window frames) but still a great watch.

Mcbean

Main character sounds like Lenny Godber and the young Irish guy looks like a young Lenny Godber 😁 enjoying it

Terry_dactyl

Watched the first episode today. It fell like it was setting the scene quite nicely.
Looking forward to the rest.

Bertola

Watched the first two, and enjoyed it, even if it does feel like Birmingham are trying to rewrite history a little bit.

Only other bit of Coventry (apart from those mentioned above) that I spotted was when he was calling the bomb threat through, it was at the top of the subway on Hill St, outside the Gatehouse

David O'Day

Watched the first two, and enjoyed it, even if it does feel like Birmingham are trying to rewrite history a little bit.

Only other bit of Coventry (apart from those mentioned above) that I spotted was when he was calling the bomb threat through, it was at the top of the subway on Hill St, outside the Gatehouse
Yeah the timeline is off as well for the music.

Good series though

Frankly_Mr_Shankly

Also seen the 1st 4 episodes and will watch the last 2 tonight. Mostly filmed in Chelmsley Wood with Cov cathedral being the only bit I recognise as being 100% Cov. Pretty sure the several canal viaduct scenes were filmed at the M5/M6 junction.
Great series up to now and takes me back to my 20s. Got Peaky Blinders style all over it.
Riley Square and Roseberry Avenue, Bell Green, also St Chads Church, Wood End spotted during my watching of it. First episode was a bit dull, hope it picks up which I’m sure it will.

clint van damme

4 in, hate to say it about a programme in which Cov features so heavily but it's fucking dogshit in my opinion.

Reactions: KAB

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Lots of inconsistencies that I can't help but notice (even small detail like the pvc window frames) but still a great watch.
I grew up in Cov and never once heard the IRA referred to as the "ra", though I'm sure that's just me.
No one ever called anyone a "fuck" either. You either didn't give one or you added " off"
Loads of inconsistencies that only people of a certain age would spot !

Reactions: KAB

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I'm sure there will be loads more series. The IRA story , the nightclub, the band, Bardon's situation. All these surely have legs.
If it has actually ended it's disappointing.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Still only seen the first episode. Sounds like the first season is maybe an extended version of that…setting the scene?
In episode 4 watch out for ( briefly) a bloke running away with a Cov city hat on .

Brylowes

Christ, I haven’t lived in Coventry for 45 year’s, but even I recognised Riley Square, Bell Green, The many shots of the ring road, the Cathedral and the estate in Spon End.

Johnnythespider

4 in, hate to say it about a programme in which Cov features so heavily but it's fucking dogshit in my opinion.
I thought it was just me, I watched two and gave up, it seems Birmingham is about to create 2 Tone and Cov is full of IRA cells.

Brylowes

I thought it was just me, I watched two and gave up, it seems Birmingham is about to create 2 Tone and Cov is full of IRA cells.
The story unfolds after 2 Tone has already been created, I really don’t think it‘s got anything to do with the creation of that particular genre, it’s more an attempt to show what life was like in those areas at that particular time.

Though I do agree, it’s not all that good.

chiefdave

The story unfolds after 2 Tone has already been created, I really don’t think it‘s got anything to do with the creation of that particular genre, it’s more an attempt to show what life was like in those areas at that particular time.
From some of the early promo stuff I thought it was going to have a lot more focus on 2 Tone, this just seems more a generic story that could really be set anywhere but has a decent soundtrack.

Made it to halfway through the second episode before I gave up.

Johnnythespider

Though I do agree, it’s not all that good.
Oh fair enough, maybe i should have given it more of a chance to develop

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread