This is truly horrendous (1 Viewer)

Otis

I can't begin to imagine what that would be like to live as a slave in a tiny shed for 40 years. 😳

BBC News - Carlisle man admits modern slavery of victim kept in shed

Can't buy this "limited involvement line." Sounds very, very iffy.

Robccfc87

Not meaning to sound uncaring as it’s obviously a horrific ordeal but, looking at the pic, how did he not break out?

Hertsccfc

I can't begin to imagine what that would be like to live as a slave in a tiny shed for 40 years. 😳

BBC News - Carlisle man admits modern slavery of victim kept in shed

Can't buy this "limited involvement line." Sounds very, very iffy.
Totally agree. Modern slavery is about as bad a crime as possible in my view.

Otis

Not meaning to sound uncaring as it’s obviously a horrific ordeal but, looking at the pic, how did he not break out?
I can only assume this guy was both new to these shores and scared and probably of a low IQ. Undoubtedly he would have any ID documents and passports taken off him.

These sorts of people use threats and intimidation tactics to keep people in line. Been many such cases unfortunately over the years.

Robccfc87

I can only assume this guy was both new to these shores and scared and probably of a low IQ. Undoubtedly he would have any ID documents and passports taken off him.

These sorts of people use threats and intimidation tactics to keep people in line. Been many such cases unfortunately over the years.
I’m sure you’re right, it’s so hard to fathom out the mental impact on the victims in these scenarios. Feel dreadfully sorry for the chap.

fernandopartridge

The victim was British according to earlier stories

Nick

Administrator
They have pretty much taken the poor bloke's life for their own financial gain to make him work. Horrible cunts.

PVA

I saw something very similar to this on a documentary last year. Some poor bloke was living in a hut in some woods because he was on the run from people traffickers.

He was 'only' there for 4 years I think which is awful, 40 years is just incomprehensible. Poor chap.

Ccfcisparks

I saw something very similar to this on a documentary last year. Some poor bloke was living in a hut in some woods because he was on the run from people traffickers.

He was 'only' there for 4 years I think which is awful, 40 years is just incomprehensible. Poor chap.
Think that was 24 hours in police custody wasn't it? Vaguely remember watching it.

chiefdave

They have pretty much taken the poor bloke's life for their own financial gain to make him work. Horrible cunts.
This is obviously an extreme case of modern slavery but I think some people might be surprised how many similarities there are between this and working conditions in some places that are perfectly legal.

My company used to do some work for a chain of luxury hotels, we're talking £400 and up a night. The hotels were properly in the middle of nowhere and inaccessible by public transports. The minimum wage positions, service, cleaning etc, were pretty much exclusively Eastern Europeans. They lived on site, for which a deduction was made from their minimum wage pay, in appalling conditions - it was so bad that eventually I refused to do any work there as I felt there was a health risk. Their meals were leftovers from the hotel restaurants as there were provided with no cooking facilities, again a deduction made from their pay. Their hours were all over the place, as they were permanently on site it was basically work on demand for as little as an hour at a time as required but that could be any time of the day or night.

And people wonder why we're having issues filling those sort of positions now. If anyone on here went to drop one of their kids off to work at somewhere like that you'd have them straight back in the car and out of there as quickly as possible.

Nick

Administrator
Think that was 24 hours in police custody wasn't it? Vaguely remember watching it.

Yeah it was 24 hours in police custody. His family thought he was missing.

I wonder if anybody has reported this bloke missing years ago and he has a family to go back to?

stay_up_skyblues

This is obviously an extreme case of modern slavery but I think some people might be surprised how many similarities there are between this and working conditions in some places that are perfectly legal.

My company used to do some work for a chain of luxury hotels, we're talking £400 and up a night. The hotels were properly in the middle of nowhere and inaccessible by public transports. The minimum wage positions, service, cleaning etc, were pretty much exclusively Eastern Europeans. They lived on site, for which a deduction was made from their minimum wage pay, in appalling conditions - it was so bad that eventually I refused to do any work there as I felt there was a health risk. Their meals were leftovers from the hotel restaurants as there were provided with no cooking facilities, again a deduction made from their pay. Their hours were all over the place, as they were permanently on site it was basically work on demand for as little as an hour at a time as required but that could be any time of the day or night.

And people wonder why we're having issues filling those sort of positions now. If anyone on here went to drop one of their kids off to work at somewhere like that you'd have them straight back in the car and out of there as quickly as possible.

Not too dissimilar to a fruit growing place I went to a few years ago for a meeting. Middle of nowhere. Endless rows of dilapidated caravans that the (Romanian?) workers lived in throughout the season. 12 - 14 hours hours a day picking fruit. Granted I don’t know what they were being paid and nothing to suggest it wasn’t above board. But the digs looked like shit and there were no cars in sight.

no_loyalty

It's not particularly shocking any more when some vile piece of shit gets a suspended sentence but wow. Just wow.

I thought he would get a minimum of 10 years, but that just takes the piss.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I was expecting at the very least, a 5 year sentence. What's he got? A bloody bender! And only 9 months for 2 years! Jeez H Christ! This country's judiciary system is an absolute piss take! It's no wonder criminals laugh at the law!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I was expecting at the very least, a 5 year sentence. What's he got? A bloody bender! And only 9 months for 2 years! Jeez H Christ! This country's judiciary system is an absolute piss take! It's no wonder criminals laugh at the law!
But they want ten year sentences for protesting...

SBT

Supposedly the judge was at pains to point out that this guy was not the main perpetrator (that was his father, who is already dead), that he wasn’t directly responsible for this guy being enslaved, and that the media coverage should reflect that he was being sentenced as such. Doesn’t seem like that happened.

1644509159693.png

I have very little sympathy for the guy regardless, but I also have very little faith in this AG intervening on individual cases after political pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread