This dressing up as a clown craze (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
we are all very selective - if we were all followed around by attractive scantly clad young ladies, we wouldnt be suggesting it was a criminal offence
And if they were handling a weapon, even less so
If a few scantily dressed young ladies followed me home, wanting to handle my weapon, I wouldn't say no! ;)

Otis

Exactly this Nick. The CET were calling it a 'craze' when there had been precisely six incidents in the UK. Six.

They're trying to create some sort of moral panic in order to make money for themselves, classic Daily Mail bullshit. Any newspaper or 'journalist' who involved themselves in this isn't worthy of the name.

As for the dickheads doing it, they just need to grow up. If scaring kids gets you off, and you're older than say nine, you've got serious issues that you need to resolve. I'm sure the kids' parents will be happy to explain in more direct terms if required!
Where does the six come from, Duffer?

BBC said yesterday that the police have said they have been called out to dozens of incidents and one police force I heard say mentioned fourteen incidents in 24 hrs.

duffer

Where does the six cone from, Duffer?

BBC said yesterday that the police have said they have been called out to dozens of incidents and one police force I heard say mentioned 14 incidents in 24 hrs.

There were six incidents in total reported across the UK when the CET tweeted and reported "Scary Clown Craze" the day before yesterday. They must be tremendously chuffed that the publicity is working and it's starting to catch on, as it'll save them having to spend money on actual reporting.

What I want to know is why isn't more being done about the hidden dangers of putting on your trousers. Why last year alone at least 6,000 people were injured in trouser-related incidents...

http://money.aol.co.uk/2014/10/03/what-s-more-likely-winning-the-lottery-or-being-killed-by-your/

On average then, more than sixteen people a day are ending up with actual physical injuries. This is far beyond the numbers of people hurt in the current Scary Clown Craze, and it's been going on for years. It's an outrage I tell you. Why aren't our media focussed on the real issue here - ban these deadly trousers before it gets any worse.

Otis

There were six incidents in total reported across the UK when the CET tweeted and reported "Scary Clown Craze" the day before yesterday. They must be tremendously chuffed that the publicity is working and it's starting to catch on, as it'll save them having to spend money on actual reporting.

What I want to know is why isn't more being done about the hidden dangers of putting on your trousers. Why last year alone at least 6,000 people were injured in trouser-related incidents...

http://money.aol.co.uk/2014/10/03/what-s-more-likely-winning-the-lottery-or-being-killed-by-your/

On average then, more than sixteen people a day are ending up with actual physical injuries. This is far beyond the numbers of people hurt in the current Scary Clown Craze, and it's been going on for years. It's an outrage I tell you. Why aren't our media focussed on the real issue here - ban these deadly trousers before it gets any worse.
Cumbrian police alone say they had 19 incidents just between 3 pm and midnight the day before last.

The point is Duffer, some are carrying hammers and knives and are chasing people, especially children.

You think accidents in trousers is a more pressing issue than people running round chasing people with weapons?

Otis

Also, have to pick you up slightly on the media reporting. This isn't driven by the media. They have only just picked up on it in the last few days.

It is social media driven. All over Facebook and Snapchat and Instagram. My daughter told me about it two weeks ago and I just laughed it off as a silly made up story.

Didn't believe a word of it until it actually DID appear in the news.

The problem isn't people dressing up as clowns and going 'boo' at people, it's the people dressing up as clowns and carrying weapons and REALLY scaring people.

duffer

Cumbrian police alone say they had 19 incidents just between 3 pm and midnight the day before last.

The point is Duffer, some are carrying hammers and knives and are chasing people, especially children.

You think accidents in trousers is a more pressing issue than people running round chasing people with weapons?

No Otis, you're missing the point entirely. What I'm saying is that this is an issue that has been largely manufactured by the press who created a 'craze' when there simply wasn't one.

If you're f****d off about it, go and complain to the sodding morons who manufactured it - which includes the CET who talked about a 'craze' which was patently nothing of the sort.

If there really are people chasing kids with hammers and knives, then frankly they need shooting. But get some balance here, and maybe a sense of humour. Before the press got hold of it these 'killer clowns' were actually a far lower risk to your way of life than your trousers.

Last edited:

Otis

No Otis, you're missing the point entirely. What I'm saying is that this is an issue that has been largely manufactured by the press who created a 'craze' when there simply wasn't one.

If you're f****d off about it, go and complain to the sodding morons who manufactured it - which includes the CET who talked about a 'craze' which was patently nothing of the sort.

If there really are people chasing kids with hammers and knives, then frankly they need shooting. But get some balance here, and maybe a sense of humour. Before the press got hold of it these 'killer clowns' were actually a far lower risk to your way of life than your trousers.

I don't think you have seen my trousers. ;)

As I say, the press have only just picked up on it, but it has been all over social media and fuelled from there. Started in the States and now spread to Canada, Austrailia and here. Some schools in the US have actually closed as a result of some incidents, so I would say it is newsworthy and to be fair to the Beeb, they had it well down on their agenda in the bulletin yesterday.

I do have balance, but now my daughter doesn't want to go trick or treating as a result, which is a real shame.

Am guessing it will all peak at Halloween.

Otis

Can I also just say, you do seem a little angry and aggressive about it all. ;) You are usually calmer. :)

It doesn't bother me personally and my only concern is on behalf of my 86 year old parents (this sort of thing would really shake them up) and my 12 year old daughter, who frightens easily.

Don't think any of us are that bothered about people in clown masks just going 'boo'.' :)

I do think it was right for the CT and the Beeb to report it, as several police forces have come out and made official statements on the matter, so they obviously are taking it quite seriously themselves. In fact, I am sure the police forces released the statements before the CT decided to report on it.

As with most things, 90% will probably be harmless fun and the other 10% will make it as sinister as they possibly can. :(

Gazolba

It would be funny if you ripped a clown's mask off and it was the same underneath.

Johnnythespider

I'd like to see some statistics on the dangers of putting on clown trousers

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

lifeskyblue

Don't like trick or treat...certainly won't open the door to kids or teenagers to encourage them hassling others including the elderlyAs for the close...anyone with a knife stalking kids needs locking up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Daz

As a kid I was never allowed to go trick or treating
My mum and dad called it begging and wouldn't have it

Although since they've become grandparents they've really mellowed

In fact I remember if my dad caught me sat in his chair I'd get a clip round the ear
When my daughter goes round this house he gets up and puts her in his chair
It's lovely to see too be honest

duffer

Can I also just say, you do seem a little angry and aggressive about it all. ;) You are usually calmer. :)

It doesn't bother me personally and my only concern is on behalf of my 86 year old parents (this sort of thing would really shake them up) and my 12 year old daughter, who frightens easily.

Don't think any of us are that bothered about people in clown masks just going 'boo'.' :)

I do think it was right for the CT and the Beeb to report it, as several police forces have come out and made official statements on the matter, so they obviously are taking it quite seriously themselves. In fact, I am sure the police forces released the statements before the CT decided to report on it.

As with most things, 90% will probably be harmless fun and the other 10% will make it as sinister as they possibly can. :(

Yep, sorry Otis, that's fair comment - didn't mean to bite your head off. I apologise.

I don't mean to underplay it, I know exactly how I'd feel if one of these idiots scared my kids. My mum would just thump 'em, I suspect. ;) The point I was trying to make is that the media were fanning the flames here, particularly when it hadn't really become a 'craze'.

Six incidents in the UK, is not by anyone's standards a craze, and that's what it was when the CET jumped on the bandwagon and used precisely that word. That, for me, stretched the bounds of responsible reporting. What's happened since is the perfect definition of a self-fulfilling prophecy. At this rate we'll be heading into full-blown moral panic mode because a few eejits on SM managed to get main-stream media on board.

olderskyblue

If there really are people chasing kids with hammers and knives, then frankly they need shooting. But get some balance here

Not sure why, but this made me laugh... :)

duffer

It didn't at a the time, but it does now. :)

Not, perhaps, my most lucid post ever. :)

I am reminded of the magical Chris Cattlin quote, when he was manager of Brighton "There's a rat in the camp trying to throw a spanner into the works!".

Macca

Don't lump them all in one basket. A clown opened the door for me at the shop earlier. Really nice jester

Ian1779

This is still the best and scariest clown ever. The rest don't even come close.
00002124511pennywise1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread