The Thorn out people (1 Viewer)

la-ccfc

All of these people who want Thorn out what is it exactly he can do, there was nothing on the bench and we have a starting 11 which is half full of teenagers, so can someone who wants him out give an explanation of why.

Nonleagueherewecome

All of these people who want Thorn out what is it exactly he can do, there was nothing on the bench and we have a starting 11 which is half full of teenagers, so can someone who wants him out give an explanation of why.

I'm with you but don't encourage them, it'll just be another thread for me to have to ignore!

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Am I right in thinking that we no longer have a fitness coach? Some more SISU penny pinching. Then, according to those who call into CWR, it's Thorn's fault the players seem to tire compared to their peers. Hmmm....

stupot07

Am I right in thinking that we no longer have a fitness coach? Some more SISU penny pinching. Then, according to those who call into CWR, it's Thorn's fault the players seem to tire compared to their peers. Hmmm....

We haven't had one since the summer when Liverpool poached him. He's never been replaced.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

We haven't had one since the summer when Liverpool poached him. He's never been replaced.

Thought so. People can't see that the club is so threadbare it's incredible - we couldn't even fill the bench today - and their first critisism is of Thorn. No, he's not a great manager, probably not even very good, but even a miracle worker would despair with the tool's at Thorn's disposal

Half of me wants him to stay because the squad and it's "contents" are forced upon him - he can't bring anyone in so he works with what he's got, therefore i'd like him to stay and see what he could with a few signings and loans but that's all dependant on the take over.

The other half of me says i'd I want him to go because i'd like someone who's been in the situation (or more experienced) and knows a bit more about being in this position - a kind of been there done that manager.

flammablepiss

Facebook User
Well I defended Thorn for a very long time. Only recently has my mind started to change. Personally I think Thorn is an excellent motivator but tactically he he not very aware at all and he needs a partner to work alongside him. Just little things really... For instance the amount of times this season I have been shouting out in the 60\70th minute for a substitute! We could have gained so many points in numerous games where the match has changed mid way through or been lost in the dying minutes. Admittedly we don't have a great subs bench but you cannot under estimate the impact of a pair (or two) fresh legs coming on the pitch. Thorn probably isn't good enough but I try to support him as he is the heart of the squad and we won't get anyone better. The Thorn out guys are frustrated and I think the majority of people understand exactly why.

Last edited:

Mary_Mungo_Midge

But LAST, what 'more experienced' manager would touch this farce with a barge pole?

Thorn is there for one reason. Because he's cheap. Which is for the same reason as we don't have a fitness coach. Or a chief scout. We don't have the resources of a 4th tier club, let alone a 2nd tier one

BANTAM

He is the "Top scout" who obtained these wasters,he has got us knocked out of all cup competitions and got us relegated.Sisu need to show some balls and sack him it will also free up his 8 k a week wages.

MatthewWallis

He needs to go and we need a MANAGER someone who doesn't just have a plan A and someone who can get his players to perform for a match and not the occasional45 minutes.

Nonleagueherewecome

Well I defended Thorn for a very long time. Only recently has my mind started to change. Personally I think Thorn is an excellent motivator but tactically he he not very aware at all and he needs a patner to work alongside him. Just little things really... For instance the amount of times this season I have been shouting out in the 60\70th minute for a substitute! We could have gained so many points in numerous games where the match has changed mid way through or been lost in the dying minutes. Admittedly we don't have a great subs bench but you cannot under estimate the impact of a pair (or two) fresh legs coming on the pitch. Thorn probably isn't good enough but I try to support him as he is the heart of the squad and we won't get anyone better. The Thorn out guys are frustrated and I think the majority of people understand exactly why.

A weak bench is under stating it. Ruffles and Jeffers were fresh legs, but they were outclassed and made zero impact.

The CableGuy

He needs to go and we need a MANAGER someone who doesn't just have a plan A and someone who can get his players to perform for a match and not the occasional45 minutes.

Maybe if we had a fitness coach, that would be happening, no?

I'd love to see how the likes of Fergie and Wenger would do without one at their clubs, let alone CCFC.

la-ccfc

He is the "Top scout" who obtained these wasters,he has got us knocked out of all cup competitions and got us relegated.Sisu need to show some balls and sack him it will also free up his 8 k a week wages.

He signed the majority of these players because the the players at the top of his list (Carroll and Henderson for example) SISU thought were too expensive at the time, so he then had to go and scout cheaper alternatives.

MatthewWallis said:

With the players we had today what plan B could we have used? so who would this manager be that you expect to get bearing in mind his wages will be 50p and half a mars bar.

Blue Maniac

Even if he is on 8k a week, which he isn't, how will sacking him free that money up? Surely you'd have to spend it on another manager, unless you think they'll hire a competition winner who will work for free.

ICHAN

How do we know Carroll and henderson were top of his list?
Ok we had henderson on loan but how do we know sunderland wanted to sell him at that time and he was only ever going to be allowed to be loaned to us anyway?

MatthewWallis

With the players we had today what plan B could we have used? so who would this manager be that you expect to get bearing in mind his wages will be 50p and half a mars bar.

The players we had today, I understand he had no option. But the other games we've had this season where he's clearly shown that he has no clue tactically, means he has to go, he is not a manager and will not get another managerial job after CCFC. I don't care who it is but anybody with managerial experience would be nice

la-ccfc

How do we know Carroll and henderson were top of his list?
Ok we had henderson on loan but how do we know sunderland wanted to sell him at that time and he was only ever going to be allowed to be loaned to us anyway?

I think it was Gary Hoffman who had said we had inquired about them and we were given a price for them which SISU felt was too expensive, and obviously as Thorn was scout he would have had to have seen them play to make the recommendation.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
reports at the time we had Henderson said he was highly rated by Sunderland and not for sale, certainly if he was there was never any chance of us affording him.

We dont know why we didnt get Carroll etc only got one side of the story that may or may not be right

AT will certainly be on a decent salary by our standards - we dont know how much - certainly £100k+ pa

the minority against AT is growing in my opinion, but that is because peoples frustrations with all things CCFC are growing.

Personally I dont rate him never have, but i dont think he will be replaced before end of season or until perhaps a new owner comes in.

I do think there is an issue with fitness in the team, have thought so all season - if I and others can see it so too must AT and my question is what is he and SH doing about it because it is not improving

just my thoughts

skybluegod

i agree how can people conplain about his desicions today when he only has youngsters on the bench he couldn't make any match changing subs because the bench was full with unexperience youth player's more or less.

southern_comfort

Facebook User
consistently we only play for 45 mins of football, consistently we give away cheap goals, consistently our more experienced players put in half rate performances, for this i hold the manager responsible, we have a sh#t squad of players i agree, possible the worst squad to ever wear the shirt, but what i blame him for the most is his lack of leadership, he could not motivate the man city squad, just listen to him after every game, i totally switch off he bores me, and i think this shows in the players they have no faith, he should be motivating them to go down fighting. We will win 1 or 2 more games this season but thats it . we are exactly where we belong when sisu chose a member of the backroom staff instead of paying out for an experienced manager even if they came from a lower league, tactically ever match he is being out done by subs and position switches by the opposition, he needs help so he can become a good manager for the future, i pray ccfc have a future.

Otis

Half of me wants him to stay because the squad and it's "contents" are forced upon him - he can't bring anyone in so he works with what he's got, therefore i'd like him to stay and see what he could with a few signings and loans but that's all dependant on the take over.

The other half of me says i'd I want him to go because i'd like someone who's been in the situation (or more experienced) and knows a bit more about being in this position - a kind of been there done that manager.

I'm kind of where you are on this. To me though, it's like the head teacher is ill and the caretaker is running the school.

Despite all the constraints he has around him, I still don't think AT's good enough for the job. I remain convinced that a better manager would have us further up the table, albeit not that much further.

ICHAN

It's more to do with the whole season and not just one match, this has been bought up again because we have just lost again but this time by a keep thorn in his job poster and not the other way around.
Over the whole season it is just not good enough.
AT is the only person who can be changed to try and make a differance to the season.
Wheather you agree or not about AT getting sacked surely as fans of CCFC you must want something done to try and change our fortunes, sisu will only go when they are ready and IF hoff try's to buy the club of them but would it make a differance now as january is rolling on fast and it could be to late to get any players in.
So for me AT is the only option their is to save our season and for that he has to go as no-one is bigger than the club, and the club and our chance of survival comes first and any step that can be made to try and achieve this must be taken.
To get relegated without so much as trying any possible avenue would be a crime and could have repercussions for many years to come, and next year if AT is still here people will be saying how did AT keep his job we got relegated under him, sisu never tried to save us they should have got rid months before the end of the season.

The beginning of the season people were saying give him till xmas and then judge him, well xmas has been and gone and he needs judgeing on results as it is a results orientated business and not a feel sorry for business.

la-ccfc

I could see why Thorn would sacked if new owners came in and had money to spend but in our current situation I can't see how a change of manager would changer anything except give us an even smaller budget for players and a new manager.

ICHAN

But there is no budget for players and yes AT would need paying off but how do we know a new manager with this squad would not change anything unless it is tried to say no-one would be able to do better can not be proved and so should not be used as a reason to keep AT.
To keep AT is giving up on the season without a fight and we may as well pack it in now.
If he stays and we stay up I promise I will be on here admiting I was wrong, however if we change manager and stay up will those saying keep AT no manager would get us out of this do the same if we changed manager?

Last edited:

la-ccfc

no one can know if it would change for the better just as no one can know if it would change for the worse, but the fact that we would have an even smaller budget than what we currently pay Thorn for a new manager would make it incredibly difficult to find a manager who would be good enough and willing to take the job.

Grendel

Regis87

I never wanted him in the 1st place . He had 2 or 3 games in charge and did ok last season , it was more a case of the players not having to play the Bothroyd way and their shackles had been ripped off giving them a boost , Thorn being Sisus cheap option and with 75% of city fans wanting him in , turned out to be a no brainer for Sisu .
Nice bloke but not good enough and tactically naive .

ICHAN

Thing is the key word is Manager not Scout.
AT must be the luckiest manager in the country because the fans are not calling for his head.
No other manager would be allowed such leniency and he says the team have no luck.

Maybe the underachieving over the past 10 years certainly the past 5 have taken it's toll on the fans more than we knew.
I realise that it may be mainly a differant generation of fan and they are not to blame for what has happened to the club but I really can not understand how keeping AT as manager is going to bring anything other than relegation, more years out in the wilderness and further away from the premiership.
A change of some kind is needed and the quicker the better while there is still a glimmer of hope of getting out of this awful mess.
Luckily it was a cup game and not a league game today.

Grendel

I never wanted him in the 1st place . He had 2 or 3 games in charge and did ok last season , it was more a case of the players not having to play the Bothroyd way and their shackles had been ripped off giving them a boost , Thorn being Sisus cheap option and with 75% of city fans wanting him in , turned out to be a no brainer for Sisu .
Nice bloke but not good enough and tactically naive .

We are down and even I am fed up with sounding like a broken record. We are stuck with Thorn till the end of the season. Then his contract is up and he is just a (very) unfortunate blip on the history of the club and the ultimate summary of SISU incompetence - the employment of a hopelessly out of depth individual to do a job in the most difficult of circumstances.
Oddly SISU incompetence has worked in his favour and made him some peculiar anti-hero in peoples eyes.
The one fear that I have is that he despite appearing rather stupid has an astute eye for the mood of the people. When Boothroyd went, if he was playing entertaining football AT would have declared its results that matter - he wants to please the majority and as he has pulled this off will continue to do so.
All this talk of takeover when and where is nonsense. Just wait for AT to start publicly slagging off SISU and saying he wanted to sign this and that and then you know it is happening tomorrow.
Thorn cares about one thing and one thing only and that is self-preservation. He knows no other club would contemplate him at the helm and will say, do whatever he can to stay where he is. Sky Blue through and through? Only if the SISU dollar keeps rewarding him.

stupot07

Thing is the key word is Manager not Scout.
AT must be the luckiest manager in the country because the fans are not calling for his head.
No other manager would be allowed such leniency and he says the team have no luck.

Maybe the underachieving over the past 10 years certainly the past 5 have taken it's toll on the fans more than we knew.
I realise that it may be mainly a differant generation of fan and they are not to blame for what has happened to the club but I really can not understand how keeping AT as manager is going to bring anything other than relegation, more years out in the wilderness and further away from the premiership.
A change of some kind is needed and the quicker the better while there is still a glimmer of hope of getting out of this awful mess.
Luckily it was a cup game and not a league game today.

I'm sure we would be just as lenient with a proper manager as we're being with thorn in the current situation. And before people start banding about previous managers names, it is impossible to be objective when you already dislike them based on what they did here.

Users who are viewing this thread