The queues (1 Viewer)

MalcSB

Look, stop having a dig at people getting there 30 mins before KO. For midweek games, living an hour away, there is absolutely no way for me to get there earlier without booking time off work. We're not all local retirees!
I’m not a local retiree. I live an hour away, but I am retired.

I’m not really having a dig, but what I said was true. Why would people get buses that early when they won’t, or in your case can’t, get to the arena earlier under their own steam?

It will always take a certain ammount of time to get people in through the turnstiles - everyone can’t turn up 15 minutes before kick off and expect to get in on time. Those that won’t, or in your case can’t, get there earlier are relying on retirees, local or otherwise, to turn up early to smooth their entry to the arena.

For many, including yourself, the problem with getting there early is largely because of the number of fixtures being shifted to week days. Where this has been done to accommodate TV coverage, it would be reasonable to expect the club to invest some of the additional income in some of the on site remedies, such as searches away from the turnstiles being carried out by an adequate number of stewards. I’m just not convinced that putting buses on will help - it certainly wouldn’t help you or me.

MalcSB

The other half is giving people something to turn up to. I still think the arena could support some more bars near by.
As others have said, cheaper beers in the stadium and somewhere to stand them on would help. More bars nearby could be counter productive.

MAFF

Can't help but feel like the fans are the ones at fault for not arriving early enough and causing all of these queues.

Why aren't the fans taking advantage of the opportunities provided to help them arrive and get in earlier such as:

- The extra perimeter fencing around the ground encouraging longer routes to be taken when attempting to walk to a turnstile

- The incredible train service to Coventry Arena station which is surely the best service in the West Midlands to get fans straight to a ground on matchdays

- The double decker shuttle buses that efficiently take fans from the City Centre, Train Station and Pool Meadow directly to the ground without any other stops

- The large car parking exclusion zone maximising the distance some fans will walk to get to the turnstiles

- The extensive temporary road closures put in place before kick off to help fans to cross the A444 without bottlenecks and delays

- the opportunity to add matchday tickets to a plastic membership card for non-Season Ticket Holders for faster entry.

- the folding lines on printed tickets being in the wrong place so the printed tickets won't fit in the scanner when folded as instructed

- the lack of line markings / fencing outside turnstiles to help lead to orderly queues that doesn't just lead into the barriers placed without gaps on the way into the North Stand. This then leads into queues that block off or limit the ability of fans to move from left to right when the loudspeaker helpfully explains that the reason for the problems is fans using the wrong turnstiles when they follow the printed instructions and go to the turnstiles on their ticket

- the additional stewarding placed standing around the away fans area rather than being used to complete searches in pairs away from the turnstiles or assisting with scanning problems either at the turnstile or with handheld scanners.

The way a lot of our fans act they must think they are owed the right of admission for paying to get in and I think it's high time they apologised to the club and arena staff for the way in which attendances have increased and are continuing to increase which makes life so much more difficult for everyone.

I know it was 7 years ago but have any other clubs had to delay a kick off due to the inability of 11,672 fans to be able to enter a 32k-ish stadium for a FA Trophy Semi Final game?

Speaking of delayed kick offs - does the lack of delays to kick offs mean that the CBS Arena is the first venue in England to implement 'safe standing areas' during football matches that are located outside of the stadium bowl on the way into the turnstiles?
Fantastic post.

I can’t believe our attendances are as high as they are considering how dreadfully hard they make it for us. The parking exclusion zone, mixed with SHITE public transport makes it so tricky for those of us that don’t live in Coventry.

Last edited:

MalcSB

You mean we all can't turn up 4 hours before kick off

Also if everyone turned up earlier you would still have big queues, just earlier in the day. You need people to turn up early and you need people to turn up late.
People are complaining that they are missing the start of the games. Big queues earlier in the day would be unlikely to have that outcome. But you are right, you do need a steady flow of people arriving from “opening time”.

There must be data from the turnstiles about time of arrivals and throughput that could be used to model and inform the admission process.

Mucca Mad Boys

would people catch buses that early? They can’t be arsed to get to the stadium that far in advance of kick off currently.
Tuesday and Wednesday are my office days (mandatory) and the drive is just shy of 2 hours so I can’t really get to to stadium before 19:30. Against Wednesday I parked up at 19:40.

In any case, I’ve been to events at most of the major stadiums in England and I’ve not had the same issues getting into a venue.

Instead of placing the blame on the fans, the club need to look at their operations. There shouldn’t be hundreds of people waiting at turnstiles to get into a match when the stadium is less than 2/3rds full. It’s not unreasonable to expect to get through the turnstiles 15-20m before KO.

Paper tickets should be scrapped - there should be an option to download a QR code to smartphones. Easy.

wingy

I’m not a local retiree. I live an hour away, but I am retired.

I’m not really having a dig, but what I said was true. Why would people get buses that early when they won’t, or in your case can’t, get to the arena earlier under their own steam?

It will always take a certain ammount of time to get people in through the turnstiles - everyone can’t turn up 15 minutes before kick off and expect to get in on time. Those that won’t, or in your case can’t, get there earlier are relying on retirees, local or otherwise, to turn up early to smooth their entry to the arena.

For many, including yourself, the problem with getting there early is largely because of the number of fixtures being shifted to week days. Where this has been done to accommodate TV coverage, it would be reasonable to expect the club to invest some of the additional income in some of the on site remedies, such as searches away from the turnstiles being carried out by an adequate number of stewards. I’m just not convinced that putting buses on will help - it certainly wouldn’t help you or me.
No agreed but it could help in this city and you'd expect a company with the franchise to step up, there's so much wrong the way things are, don't get me started on the parking wardens.

MalcSB

Tuesday and Wednesday are my office days (mandatory) and the drive is just shy of 2 hours so I can’t really get to to stadium before 19:30. Against Wednesday I parked up at 19:40.

In any case, I’ve been to events at most of the major stadiums in England and I’ve not had the same issues getting into a venue.

Instead of placing the blame on the fans, the club need to look at their operations. There shouldn’t be hundreds of people waiting at turnstiles to get into a match when the stadium is less than 2/3rds full. It’s not unreasonable to expect to get through the turnstiles 15-20m before KO.

Paper tickets should be scrapped - there should be an option to download a QR code to smartphones. Easy.
The paper tickets is a farce and could be a quick win. However, not all old gits have smart phones.

MalcSB

No agreed but it could help in this city and you'd expect a company with the franchise to step up, there's so much wrong the way things are, don't get me started on the parking wardens.
The parking zoning is crazy, almost as bad as building a huge hospital on the edge of the city and only having one road into it.

David O'Day

People are complaining that they are missing the start of the games. Big queues earlier in the day would be unlikely to have that outcome. But you are right, you do need a steady flow of people arriving from “opening time”.

There must be data from the turnstiles about time of arrivals and throughput that could be used to model and inform the admission process.
People have also been complaining about being stuck in big queues this season even if they get in before kick off or not.

shmmeee

As others have said, cheaper beers in the stadium and somewhere to stand them on would help. More bars nearby could be counter productive.

Only so much you can do to get people in earlier, but giving them something to do while they wait should ease traffic in and out and spread it out a bit.

I like the fan village/ticket check zone idea. Just not sure you’re gonna get too many in an hour early so they can stand and drink flat beer in the concourse.

Mucca Mad Boys

The paper tickets is a farce and could be a quick win. However, not all old gits have smart phones.
You can still keep the paper tickets, but for a lot of events now there’s a button to add the ticket to android/apple wallet.

In my experience, it’s very handy and easy to send people their tickets via iMessage/WhatsApp.

chiefdave

This is the key point. I’ve been to stadiums and arenas around the world and not seen the issues we face week in week out.

The only time I ever see queues anything like I see at the CBS are people queuing hours before doors open for standing gigs to get to the front and even then when doors open the queue moves rapidly.

Going to a game is not a cheap day out, we shouldn’t be made to feel like an afterthought or being told things can’t be better because they don’t want to pay for extra staff.

Mucca Mad Boys

You can still keep the paper tickets, but for a lot of events now there’s a button to add the ticket to android/apple wallet.

In my experience, it’s very handy and easy to send people their tickets via iMessage/WhatsApp.
This is the key point. I’ve been to stadiums and arenas around the world and not seen the issues we face week in week out.

The only time I ever see queues anything like I see at the CBS are people queuing hours before doors open for standing gigs to get to the front and even then when doors open the queue moves rapidly.

Going to a game is not a cheap day out, we shouldn’t be made to feel like an afterthought or being told things can’t be better because they don’t want to pay for extra staff.
Therefore, it’s clear that the issues are structural because it doesn’t matter if it’s lairy football fans or hordes of Harry Styles followers - the issues remain the same.

I don’t see why there’s a requirement to search everyone. Especially when it’s so half-hearted. It would be better to search the people in Singer’s Corner where there’s the highest risk of violence with away fans. Everywhere else around the stadium can have a ‘targeted’ search policy i.e. who looks like trouble.

JAM See

Therefore, it’s clear that the issues are structural because it doesn’t matter if it’s lairy football fans or hordes of Harry Styles followers - the issues remain the same.

I don’t see why there’s a requirement to search everyone. Especially when it’s so half-hearted. It would be better to search the people in Singer’s Corner where there’s the highest risk of violence with away fans. Everywhere else around the stadium can have a ‘targeted’ search policy i.e. who looks like trouble.
Quite right about the searching. Waste of time.

Make it bleeding obvious that any naughty behaviour WILL be caught on CCTV and you WILL be prosecuted.

Remember Portsmouth in 2000? That was twenty four years ago, and all the convictions in the ground were based on CCTV evidence.

SBbucks

So who benifits from the parking, a private entity that's who I believe, it should every fans objective to use public transport, and that is the responsibility of who?

Why should it be every fan’s objective to use public transport? Weird take.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Yeah I think the North is pretty well served, would be interesting to see any data the club had on ST locations and travel choices.
I agree, with knowing where fans come from might help gauge likely pick up points.Will say it might be a surprise how many come from outside the Coventry boundary.I agree Bedworth and the north of are well served for transport.The N.and B. supporter run 2 coaches and another company run 2 plus 20 and 148 buses.It's the south of the City that is starved of adiquate transport.A simple questionnaire when ST are renewed might help.

SBbucks

Because I think that it would benefit most of the fans that come from the City,cost effective as well?

You’re making a big assumption on people’s objectives. I think you’ll find that most people’s objective will be to get there in the most efficient & convenient way that suits their individual circumstances.
I’ve no desire to use public transport, I’m quite happy to drive thank you.

wingy

You’re making a big assumption on people’s objectives. I think you’ll find that most people’s objective will be to get there in the most efficient & convenient way that suits their individual circumstances.
I’ve no desire to use public transport, I’m quite happy to drive thank you.
I'll carry on then and continue driving probably best policy until the infrastructure is in place

scubasteve

Why did they stop opening the doors and scanning tickets like they did at the back end of last season?
Thought it worked well as it took the pressure off the turnstiles.

Tile Hill Phil

I agree, with knowing where fans come from might help gauge likely pick up points.Will say it might be a surprise how many come from outside the Coventry boundary.I agree Bedworth and the north of are well served for transport.The N.and B. supporter run 2 coaches and another company run 2 plus 20 and 148 buses.It's the south of the City that is starved of adiquate transport.A simple questionnaire when ST are renewed might help.
Lots of pubs and clubs hire minibuses to get to the ground from all over the City. The Craftsman pub, the Parkstone club are two that I know of. I know of people who share taxis to get there from Tile Hill. The club need to try and get a reliable regular train service going to the ground. It’s embarrassing that the station by the ground is so underused.

MalcSB

Quite right about the searching. Waste of time.

Make it bleeding obvious that any naughty behaviour WILL be caught on CCTV and you WILL be prosecuted.

Remember Portsmouth in 2000? That was twenty four years ago, and all the convictions in the ground were based on CCTV evidence.
I guess it depends what they are - supposedly - searching for.

oakey

A lot of people don't get to their seats much before KO. Instead they occupy the concourse or exterior bar areas. Club should consider some pre-match entertainment to entice fans in earlier.
A local band for half an hour.
Competitions with winners picked out of crowd and meet/team with a current player or legend.
Decent prizes like signed shirt etc

chiefdave

hat the issues are structural because it doesn’t matter if it’s lairy football fans or hordes of Harry Styles followers - the issues remain the same

Lots of pubs and clubs hire minibuses to get to the ground from all over the City. The Craftsman pub, the Parkstone club are two that I know of. I know of people who share taxis to get there from Tile Hill. The club need to try and get a reliable regular train service going to the ground. It’s embarrassing that the station by the ground is so underused.
How about the club putting a directory of places that run transport on the website

hamertime

The parking zoning is crazy, almost as bad as building a huge hospital on the edge of the city and only having one road into it.
Not really, they’ve dumped a stadium where people live. It never would have got planning permission otherwise. Highfield rd was different, it had been there that long people decided to buy houses near it.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You mean we all can't turn up 4 hours before kick off

Also if everyone turned up earlier you would still have big queues, just earlier in the day. You need people to turn up early and you need people to turn up late.
If that happened it wouldn't be as much of an issue because they'd have ages to get everyone in before KO

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It's just mad that a stadium only given the go-ahead if most people travelled by public transport has barely any trains and no dedicated matchday bus service.

Users who are viewing this thread