The pros and cons of Mowbray (3 Viewers)

Otis

lol otis trying to pretend he didnt want TM's head earlier in season

he plays good football
hes a throwback to good old days of football before money and chavs
he sees the game like i do most of time so interviews are not frustrating
he gives me hope for the future, not something other cov managers have ever done

Never wanted his head and you know it, you cheeky monkey!

As I have said over eleventy billion times, I like the bloke and always just wanted him to put right what was going wrong.

:)

Ashdown

I liked him for a long time earlier on, the performances, the attacking stance, after match radio...............everything. But, he showed his weakness's when things started to go wrong, you could see why he hasn't particularly excelled as a manager as quite frankly he started to panic and started to sign dross, any old dross to fill gaps and then even his after match comments sounded dour and defeatist. Has he really got a mandate to gain promotion though ? Is it what SISU want right now ? I would have swore during the Colchester home game we were trying our best not to shoot.............

Hobo

The continuation of standing by him is even more concerning, especially as he says 'Martin, was not quite up to what he expects'

TM has mentioned Ricketts influence on the field, off the field and in the dressing room. He may not be a shouter or a ranter but neither is TM. He has also been shifted around the back 4 due to injuries, don't underestimate how difficult that is for a player. I remember Terry Yorath who was sometimes awful. But the team were always better for his presence.

Hobo

Mowbray obviously wants to improve the quality at the club. He realises that is about skills levels but equally about players having the right character.

fernandopartridge

I liked him for a long time earlier on, the performances, the attacking stance, after match radio...............everything. But, he showed his weakness's when things started to go wrong, you could see why he hasn't particularly excelled as a manager as quite frankly he started to panic and started to sign dross, any old dross to fill gaps and then even his after match comments sounded dour and defeatist. Has he really got a mandate to gain promotion though ? Is it what SISU want right now ? I would have swore during the Colchester home game we were trying our best not to shoot.............

That's not right, he signed a lot of players before things went wrong. Ramage was signed to plug a gap.

SkyBlue_Bear83

The pro's have been pretty much sorted, so cons:
- inflexible with his tactics at times
- poorish transfer record, especially with permanent signings
- too much rotation of tbr midfield 3
- outcasted some players far too easily

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Other than the point about rotation I don't think I agree with any of your other points.

I'd say for me one of the cons is he is too cautious with the young players.

ajsccfc

Has he really got a mandate to gain promotion though ? Is it what SISU want right now ? I would have swore during the Colchester home game we were trying our best not to shoot.............

This is a particularly mad conspiracy theory. Nobody's trying to stay in League One, a lot of the time we're just genuinely rubbish.

Otis

Other than the point about rotation I don't think I agree with any of your other points.

Yes, tend to agree. We have had that same problem with a number of managers.

I wonder if Sambou may have stayed had we played him, or at least gave him a run out from the bench.

Hobo

Didn't the likes of Hunt, Ramage and Henderson come in as it started to go belly up ?

It started to go belly up against Walsall, Burton (two massive games) and Southend. Hunt featured in Southend game, Rampage in Burton and Southend.

Can't people accept Rammage was an emergency due to Injuries brought in as an out of contract player hopefully buying us time to become active in the January window. He then brought in two decent loan CBs.

Hunt was worth a gamble giving us cover in various positions down the left, especially with Murphy showing signs he was becoming inconsistent. I think he thought he my be good off the bench, his experience helping us to see out games. Okay it didn't come off.... but who else was available on what we could pay? I don't know the answer to that do you?

Otis

It started to go belly up against Walsall, Burton (two massive games) and Southend. Hunt featured in Southend game, Rampage in Burton and Southend.

Can't people accept Rammage was an emergency due to Injuries brought in as an out of contract player hopefully buying us time to become active in the January window. He then brought in two decent loan CBs.

Hunt was worth a gamble giving us cover in various positions down the left, especially with Murphy showing signs he was becoming inconsistent. I think he thought he my be good off the bench, his experience helping us to see out games. Okay it didn't come off.... but who else was available on what we could pay? I don't know the answer to that do you?

It was pretty clear that the emergency loan of Ramage was indeed because it was actually an emergency and he was probably all that was available. Don't think we can apportion any blame to TM on that one. He was between a rock and a hard place. Bring him in and get slated, or bring in no-one and get slated for not bringing anyone in.

ajsccfc

He was definitely just filling a spot to give us time to get someone in. Signing Ramage was the professional equivalent of when your five a side team is missing a player and you find one of your friends owns a pair of boots and has the evening free.

stupot07

Fair do's but I do agree with your second point.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dongonzalos

I wonder if Sambou may have stayed had we played him, or at least gave him a run out from the bench.

If it wasn't a Premiership side he want to I would agree.
But TM did point out when he went up one level he struggled a bit
So who knows how he would have faired this season

Otis

If it wasn't a Premiership side he want to I would agree.
But TM did point out when he went up one level he struggled a bit
So who knows how he would have faired this season

Thing is with kids, sometimes you don't know until you throw them in.

Gazolba

Are these supposed to be plus points compared to an average L1 manager or plus points compared to the managers who got their teams to the play-offs this season?. Because they would be totally different.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Didn't Sambou come on soon after half time against Northampton in the cup?

If I'm remembering it correctly, he put in plenty of effort without ever looking particularly threatening.

Otis

Are these supposed to be plus points compared to an average L1 manager or plus points compared to the managers who got their teams to the play-offs this season?. Because they would be totally different.

Just how we think he has done as a manager for us. What plus points from him as our manager this season.

ranvir_PUSB

pros:
- Attacking football
- Positive minded substitutions
- Keeping the fans updated on transfers/rumours
- Contacts throughout the leagues
- Hard working and dedicated to the cause

Cons:
- Not giving youngsters enough chances to shine
- Tinkering too much
- Signing too many has-beens
- Not dropping players who are out of form e.g. Murphy, Ricketts, Fortune.

Hadji10

releasing martin shows he has learnt from ramage,henderson etc

he is no longer settling

good signs

Sorry, what? Ramage, Henderson and Hunt are all way past their best and they were stop-gap signings. Martin is a good age and was probably the only player here from last season who actually improved under Mowbrays tutelage (and Stokes to be fair).

To compare Martin to them two is pretty stupid IMO.

wingy

I like the idea his ideals around good human qualities in the people he surrounds himself with and obviously maintains for himself.
But on the pitch I want to see driven aggressive individuals who won't take crap from other teams or officials.
More in their faces like Norwich and Southampton when they achieved their promotions please!

Gazolba

pros:
- Attacking football
- Positive minded substitutions
- Keeping the fans updated on transfers/rumours
- Contacts throughout the leagues
- Hard working and dedicated to the cause

Cons:
- Not giving youngsters enough chances to shine
- Tinkering too much
- Signing too many has-beens
- Not dropping players who are out of form e.g. Murphy, Ricketts, Fortune.

I largely agree with this but not too sure about the 'attacking football' part. Playing one up front at home. If we were so attacking why did we go 10 games and score only four goals. Why some 45 mins we did not register a single shot on goal?

Users who are viewing this thread