The Orange Ball (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

With todays weather in mind do the older ones on here remember us playing Blackburn Rovers on a snow covered HR pitch, early December 1995 I’m sure they were reigning league champions at the time but we thumped them 5-0, Blackburn had a lot of the the star names of the day Alan Shearer, Colin Hendry, Chris Sutton, Tim Flowers, Tim Sherwood and they blamed the use of an orange ball used on the snow covered pitch, which in those times was often used when snowing. I’m sure they made an official complaint and were laughed at all round the country.

Another snowy day we played Sheffield United at home who were leading 2-0 and a massive blizzard occurred and you couldn’t see the players, the game got abandoned and we won the replayed game at the back end of the season 2-0 to survive another relegation battle by the skin of our teeth.
Older!!!!!!!!!!!

Skybluecol

I was there as a kid, fuckin freezing it was. Remember buying a coffee (prob my 1st purchase of hot drink) and moved from west terrace to main stand for 15mins to sit down, drunk and warm up!! Only time I ever sat in the main stand!!
I miss HR soo much

Brylowes

I’m sure Coleman was to be part of a mega double signing neither happened can’t remember who the other one was.
I’m sure i remember a double singning that never happened that included Lee Bowyer.
Not sure if it was this tho

Grendel

Brylowes

Lee Bowyer and Richard Rufus from Charlton?
I’ve got a feeling the double signing might have been Gareth Southgate & Richard Shaw from Palace, the latter obviously making the move eventually.
Could be wrong but I recall a £5 million combined bid being made (£3 million for Southgate and £2 million for Shaw )
We were definitely after Lee Bowyer around that time as well tho.

Legia Sky Blue

Shaw came mid season, after we failed to sign Coleman first. Don't ever reall us being linked with Southgate.

The Bowyer interest was in the Summer break when we signed McAllister. Am positive we tried to sign Richard Rufus at the same time.

WestEndAgro

One double signing I recall which didn't happen was Neil Lennon and Muzzy Izzet both from Crewe, somehow they both ended up at Leicester.

fernandopartridge

I‘m randomly friends with him on FB & he doesn‘t seem the sharpest tool in the box 🤣

Yeah i've seen him posting on social media, think he's in the building trade now. Mad to think how much football changed, a player like him with a couple of years in the PL would be relatively wealthy now.

fernandopartridge

One double signing I recall which didn't happen was Neil Lennon and Muzzy Izzet both from Crewe, somehow they both ended up at Leicester.

Lennon came for a medical and chose Leicester as he felt disrespected by something Atkinson said to him, "Can you head a ball, son?" didn't feel like Atkinson had watched him. What a shame as he was an excellent player, and signing him might have made all the difference to that soft Atkinson team.

Brylowes

Shaw came mid season, after we failed to sign Coleman first. Don't ever reall us being linked with Southgate.

The Bowyer interest was in the Summer break when we signed McAllister. Am positive we tried to sign Richard Rufus at the same time.
Could well be mate, it’s a long time ago and my memory isn’t great nowadays, it sometimes plays tricks on me ‘where by, I remember something fully and in fine detail, then it comes out that the only thing I can recall correctly, is being there.

Hobo

I remember that Blackburn game. On the way into the stadium their fans were so smug and thought they would be totally invincible that day. On the way out they were all totally shell shocked!

slowpoke

You couldn’t make it up we get linked with Coleman, who was a bloody good player, Southgate who became an England regular, I’m sure we were, Rufus another decent player but end up with Richard Shaw ffs ! For ten bloody years. Good servant but ten years ?

Brylowes

Sensational player, a natural.
Me & my brother traveled to Cov with 5 Norwich supporting mates, we went Cov side of Kop they went the other, then all met up at the end to get home.
We won 2 v 1 and they were all drooling over Peter Undlovu all the way home, he scored the winner from 25 yards after dropping his shoulder and sending 2 defenders the wrong way.
Mind you we we’re 30 steps up the Kop and he sent us all the wrong way.

Hertsccfc

Me & my brother traveled to Cov with 5 Norwich supporting mates, we went Cov side of Kop they went the other, then all met up at the end to get home.
We won 2 v 1 and they were all drooling over Peter Undlovu all the way home, he scored the winner from 25 yards after dropping his shoulder and sending 2 defenders the wrong way.
I remember coming back from a match at Spurs, and hearing some of their fans calling him Pele. They weren't being ironic.

baldy

Blimey he didn’t half send you the wrong way - because he never even scored in a 2-1 win against Norwich - Sean Flynn & Mick Quinn did
You‘re on about the 1-1 draw cuz I remember that goal too…early goal of the season contender on MOTD

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You couldn’t make it up we get linked with Coleman, who was a bloody good player, Southgate who became an England regular, I’m sure we were, Rufus another decent player but end up with Richard Shaw ffs ! For ten bloody years. Good servant but ten years ?
We had a decent team for a few year apart from consistently having Shaw and Williams at CB.

Some transfers just didn't come off, others we were unlucky with (Clement getting injured for example) but the consistent pairing of those two stopped us progressing.

I'm not knocking their effort or commitment to the team, but in all honesty it was the area of the pitch we most needed to improve.

Brylowes

Blimey he didn’t half send you the wrong way - because he never even scored in a 2-1 win against Norwich - Sean Flynn & Mick Quinn did
You‘re on about the 1-1 draw cuz I remember that goal too…early goal of the season contender on MOTD
You’re absolutely correct 🙄 I’m lumping 2 games into 1 aren't I.

Users who are viewing this thread