The holiday 2023 thread (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Where in the world is everyone going this year then ?

We were going to go to a villa on Spain for 10 days in July but have decided on a cruise in August starting in Florida and going into St Turks and Caicos, The Dominican , St. Louis 2 nights in New York and Miami . Can’t wait , we were supposed to go to New York and Boston as we went into lockdown in 2020 and haven’t been away since , we have had a bit go on with work and family stuff so we both thought balls to it your a long time dead . Our daughter is in zante for 10 days and comes home 2 days before we all go on the cruise bloody students they have a great time

LastGarrison

Had 4 days in Dubai last week that I tagged onto the end of working there before flying into Bangkok for 5 nights (Bangkok in a suit is not fun!).

Got a lads weekend in Frankfurt in May and meant to be having a bit of a family gathering/piss up in the Dorm at some point as well.

Then I want to tick a couple of countries off the list that I haven’t been to so looking at Slovenia, Croatia and Montenegro but doubt I’ll get to all of them.

Also, will be going out in China for work late March/early April and is another country I’ve never been to so looking forward to that as well!

Astute

Nothing booked as such. I finally go and join my wife and kids in France next month. Our children finish school end of June and go back start of September. We're buying a motorhome and starting in Spain. Take in Portugal. South Coast of France then on to Italy. Next on the list is Croatia. Would be rude not to stop in Slovenia on the way.

Then it depends on how long we have left if we do manage to get that far.

Tommo1993

Nothing booked as such. I finally go and join my wife and kids in France next month. Our children finish school end of June and go back start of September. We're buying a motorhome and starting in Spain. Take in Portugal. South Coast of France then on to Italy. Next on the list is Croatia. Would be rude not to stop in Slovenia on the way.

Then it depends on how long we have left if we do manage to get that far.
Would really like to do something like that!

Astute

What sort of ball park are you looking at to do something like that?

View attachment 28547
Depends which country. But much cheaper than a normal holiday. For instance in France you get free places for motorhomes all over to bring people into the area. €40 a day average should cover all costs.

Otis

Where in the world is everyone going this year then ?

We were going to go to a villa on Spain for 10 days in July but have decided on a cruise in August starting in Florida and going into St Turks and Caicos, The Dominican , St. Louis 2 nights in New York and Miami . Can’t wait , we were supposed to go to New York and Boston as we went into lockdown in 2020 and haven’t been away since , we have had a bit go on with work and family stuff so we both thought balls to it your a long time dead . Our daughter is in zante for 10 days and comes home 2 days before we all go on the cruise bloody students they have a great time
Nowt this year. Divorce has cost many thousands, so it's a summer of just staying at home.

Never been on a cruise, but would love to get one. Let us know how you get on, Daz. Would love to hear about it.

Kneeza

I've booked a ferry to the Hook, but no plans from there on. Will just drift from park-up to park-up and see where we end up. Will likely get to northern Italy via Germany, Czech and Austria then back via eastern France as we usually end up doing the west coast, so it ahould be a nice change.
That sees off April, May, and a bit of June. No idea what we'll do after that, but maybe some Somerset/Wiltshire/Dorset for a few weeks in late summer.
Undecided whether to go in the autumn or not, but if we do it'll probably be just Brittany and Normandy for a few weeks.

Kneeza

Depends which country. But much cheaper than a normal holiday. For instance in France you get free places for motorhomes all over to bring people into the area. €40 a day average should cover all costs.
We did a mix last Autumn. French Camping-Car Parks (low cost moho sites with water/grey and black dumps. Some with free showers/washing up/washing facilities etc) and some similar in Spain, plus free Aires and car parks in both countries. Also used France Passion park-ups (free, but out of politeness you buy goods from the owner. Often these are wineries or cheesemakers. Bought some lovely produce! We also spent around 12 nights in full facility campsites, for a total of around £60 per day.
This includes two ferries (Newhaven out, Caen back) and all fuel (3500 miles worth at 27mpg), food, entertainment, wi-fi/Firestick costs, lpg, gifts etc etc.
You can do it cheaper by only 'wilding' or using free Aires but it's nice to have a few facilities some of the time.

Kneeza

no cost of living crisis on SBT! my last holiday was September 2013, some of you must be a lot richer than me :ROFLMAO:
Retired, and sold my late parents' house, paid off the mortgage and bought the moho with some of the proceeds.
Reasonable pension, but that has to cover both of us as the dragon doesn't have one (or any kind of income!).
I know, I'm very lucky, but we had very few holidays for forty years so we're determined to make up for it somewhat before we croak.
I still struggle to believe we can do it.

Astute

We did a mix last Autumn. French Camping-Car Parks (low cost moho sites with water/grey and black dumps. Some with free showers/washing up/washing facilities etc) and some similar in Spain, plus free Aires and car parks in both countries. Also used France Passion park-ups (free, but out of politeness you buy goods from the owner. Often these are wineries or cheesemakers. Bought some lovely produce! We also spent around 12 nights in full facility campsites, for a total of around £60 per day.
This includes two ferries (Newhaven out, Caen back) and all fuel (3500 miles worth at 27mpg), food, entertainment, wi-fi/Firestick costs, lpg, gifts etc etc.
You can do it cheaper by only 'wilding' or using free Aires but it's nice to have a few facilities some of the time.
I have my own winery. She will be sitting in the passenger seat 😁

Sounds excellent. The sort of way we will be doing it. We are about 2 and a half hours north of Bordeaux so 3 hours from Spain. Will do the campsites for the kids, wine/food places for wife and try and get close to good fishing places for me. Would love to get my first 40lb carp. Hoping not to hit a monster catfish as too old for them now.

Food in France costs a lot more than in the UK but the quality makes it worth it as you will know. Still trying to get out of my large portion meals so I can enjoy the several courses of small dishes.

If you do it again give me a shout. Our garden will be just over half an acre so plenty of room to park up. And we will have a large part of the house for guests for creature comfort. It is an extension on the back with a door to the house as well as a door at each end. Should move in May/June time. Local bar is great and we are in the second sunniest part of France.

And my lad already has ifollow to watch the games if during the football season 😂

Astute

no cost of living crisis on SBT! my last holiday was September 2013, some of you must be a lot richer than me :ROFLMAO:
Most of my holidays have been France for the last 37 years. Love the place. And it is cheaper in France than the UK. Either take your car or get a flight each way for less than £20 each way if you can keep away from school holiday times. Camping?

10 years without a holiday? You need a break. Get to Limoges airport and I'll pick you up. Just need a little spending money. Just like what you would need in the UK. Just beware it gets hot. Had 42 degrees a few times but just high 20's mid 30's most of the summer. So lots of liquid refreshments are needed 😁 We always have plenty in.

robbiekeane

lisbon, UK, tazmania, adelaide, gold coast so far, korea in a couple of weeks.

Won't tell you the rest of the year...it's not great for building rapport :ROFLMAO::oops:

Kneeza

Two and a half hours north of Bordeaux and three hours from Spain? Lordy me, it took us about a week from Irun to Bordeaux. Ok, we stopped a fair few times, but I'm sure I couldn’t have done it in half an hour!
Highlights in France last year were - on the way down - Confolens (dragon's cousin lives near there so we spent a night on his drive then a couple more at the municipal campsite literally on the river bank. Lovely little town).
Then another site within a short walk of Carcassonne citadel and city. Both lovely).
On the way back up, some of the beaches between the border and Bordeaux, although the countryside is rather drab, flat forests.
Then east of Bordeaux in a France Passion Auberge surrounded by vineyards. She stocked up on excellent cheap wines, and I stocked up on the best grape juice I've ever tasted.
Perigeuex next. Probably my favourite French city. We then just bimbled up the coast and via Quimper (lovely. Three nights here) and back via Normandy inland for a couple of nights, then a coastal Aire at Hermanville on Sword beach, coincidentally on November 11th. They take Armistice Day very seriously there!

rob9872

Cheers for all the tips lads, I've decided to stay at home and rob your houses whilst you're away 👍🤣

ovduk78

Got a week in Lincolnshire in August, hopefully it coincides with 1st home game of the season. I'm also going to try & convince my wife that moving from Scotland to Lincolnshire is a great idea! 🤞

Robinshio

Got a week in Lincolnshire in August, hopefully it coincides with 1st home game of the season. I'm also going to try & convince my wife that moving from Scotland to Lincolnshire is a great idea! 🤞
Forest , Leeds or Sheff United will be closest to lincolnshire (assuming Leeds dont come down and Sheff U go up with us)

Users who are viewing this thread