The greatest singers of all time.... (1 Viewer)

dancers lance

I'll start..........Otis Redding.

Otis

John Lennon

Guy Garvey

Frank Sinatra

Elizabeth Fraser

Amy Winehouse

Billy Holliday

mrtrench

Tom Waits
Agree re Liz Fraser & Billie Holliday & wouldn't have thought of Eddie Veder but it's a good call
Mozza
Thom Yorke
Don Van Vliet (Captain Beefheart)
Bjork

and a odd one - many years ago I saw a Brummie band called the Mood Elevators. The singer-drummer was a very slight girl who was absolutely manic on drums and managed to produce a beautiful sound vocally as well. Had to be seen to be believed. This recording wasn't something she could only do in the studio - imagine it...

olderskyblue

Don Van Vliet (Captain Beefheart)

Wow, didn't think I'd see his name on here. He had a very different voice and style that not many "got" at the time, although greatest voice? Not for me. Elvis would be on the list near the top.

Still got my Beefheart LP's in perfect condition.:)

Otis

Wow, didn't think I'd see his name on here. He had a very different voice and style that not many "got" at the time, although greatest voice? Not for me. Elvis would be on the list near the top.

Still got my Beefheart LP's in perfect condition.:)
Yeah, I've never, ever played mine either.

olderskyblue

Yeah, I've never, ever played mine either.

I always used to buy the plastic sleeves for my albums, and make sure they went back in as soon as I'd finished playing them, whereas my older sister used to just throw her albums onto the floor when putting a new one on. She has some very rare albums, and often talks about how much they are worth, which would be a lot if they weren't scratched to bits.. lol

lifeskyblue

This is hard....singers or voices? I would argue the Shane McGowan is a poor singer but his voice is perfect for the pogues.
Great voices and singers: Billie Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald, Sinatra, Judith Durham (seekers), melody gardot, margot timmins (cowboy junkies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrtrench

I took the approach of choosing immediately identifiable ground-breaking voices rather than strictly the best singer

Marty

Kate Bush
Stevie Nicks
Tom Petty

all great voices in there own way.

Malaka

Ronnie James Dio
George Michael (coz he is greek)
Elton
Rod Stewart
Roy Orbison
Freddie

Gazolba

Elvis Presley at his peak was a fantastic singer.
Gene Pitney.
Cat Stevens.
Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel as a duo were amazing.
But my personal preference is the female voice:
Alison Krauss
Nanci Griffith
Joan Baez
Crystal Gayle
Patsy Cline
Gwen Stefani
and a couple of Italian singers:
Rita Pavone
Gigliola Cinquetti

Last edited:

Gazolba

<snip>

and a odd one - many years ago I saw a Brummie band called the Mood Elevators. The singer-drummer was a very slight girl who was absolutely manic on drums and managed to produce a beautiful sound vocally as well. Had to be seen to be believed. <snip>
I love the little squeal she gives at the end of "a little bit". The xylophone in the background is also a very neat touch.

Last edited:

mrtrench

They released just two singles to my knowledge. Here's the other (again singing and playing drums simultaneously)

Terry Gibson's perm

Dame Vera Lynn must have a wonderful voice as until I looked yesterday I didn't realise she had more than two songs, made a fortune lived like a queen.

Johnnythespider

Billy Mackenzie
Mark Hollis
Liz Fraser
Sinead O'connor

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

dancers lance

Elvis Presley at his peak was a fantastic singer.
Gene Pitney.
Cat Stevens.
Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel as a duo were amazing.
But my personal preference is the female voice:
Alison Krauss
Nanci Griffith
Joan Baez
Crystal Gayle
Patsy Cline
Gwen Stefani
and a couple of Italian singers:
Rita Pavone
Gigliola Cinquetti

Alison Krauss has an amazing voice, her version of 'I go down to the river to pray' is hauntingly beautiful.

Tracy Chapman
Annie Lennox
Mary J Blige
Candi Staton
Randy Crawford

Gazolba

Female: Judy Collins, Sandy Posey, Natalie Imbruglia
Male: Tom Rush, Tim Buckley, David Gates, Daniel Betingfield

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread