The Goldstone Ground (1 Viewer)

wantageskyblue

Went twice. 1st time must have been early in the season (79?) as it was still warm (must have been their first season back in Div 1 for a while, Peter Ward was their star player.

2nd time was year after (perhaps) and it was cold and wet on that open terrace in the corner. I remember coppers making as my one wearing DMs to take them off during game and stand in their socks! Bastards. Bought a pie that year, it was stone cold - unbelievable really but that was how it was in the late 70s.

I also remember that we had to go through Central London on the coach to get there, no M40 or M25 back then.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Went twice. 1st time must have been early in the season (79?) as it was still warm (must have been their first season back in Div 1 for a while, Peter Ward was their star player.

2nd time was year after (perhaps) and it was cold and wet on that open terrace in the corner. I remember coppers making as my one wearing DMs to take them off during game and stand in their socks! Bastards. Bought a pie that year, it was stone cold - unbelievable really but that was how it was in the late 70s.

I also remember that we had to go through Central London on the coach to get there, no M40 or M25 back then.

Not nice very nice times as a football fan in many ways. Ok games seemed more important and passionate but the hooligan element and police treatment spoilt it.

tisza

Bit of a random thread, if we are going down this route, who remembers Aryesome Park
Horrible.
Exposed standing in the corners. Cold.
they had those big pieces of netting/fabric to put up if Boro fans were lobbing those old plastic pub darts into away section. But would have needed a proper Fatima Whitbread to lob one far. End of 70s/ early 80s. ??
One of those grounds with lots of side streets on the way in where it could get a bit lairy.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Went there once. About 1980? As I recall it was a 1-1 draw with our goal scored by Tommy English. Main memory is that the pitch was more sand than grass.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Never went to the Goldstone but went to the shitty retail park there now many times.

Therein lay the final insult. Wickes is in the retail park and when it set up the Company was run by Bill Archer.

So... the ground was sold under dubious circumstances and one of the club's former owners has another business that sets up on the site.

oscillatewildly

Bit of a random thread, if we are going down this route, who remembers Aryesome Park
Only ever went there once - Late 1980's, 1-1 (Pretty sure our goal was a Cyrille header) The journey up was a stinker - howling gale and on a Harry Shaw minibus. We probably added on an extra 20 miles from being continually blown sideways across the carriageway.
I was sat next to a bloke who insisted on telling me his life story (part of which to be fair was the unintentionally funny (disastrous) American road trip he and his mate had taken the year before.)
Even the coppers were bigging up the place by warning: "It's a bit rough up here fella's". When we told them we were off for something to eat after they asked where we were going.
They weren't joking - witnessed a couple of lads from the other coaches nursing bloodied noses as we all converged on the ground just in time for KO.
Anyway, for your Goldstone and Ayresome, I'll raise you Burnden Park.

ovduk78

Only ever went there once - Late 1980's, 1-1 (Pretty sure our goal was a Cyrille header) The journey up was a stinker - howling gale and on a Harry Shaw minibus. We probably added on an extra 20 miles from being continually blown sideways across the carriageway.
I was sat next to a bloke who insisted on telling me his life story (part of which to be fair was the unintentionally funny (disastrous) American road trip he and his mate had taken the year before.)
Even the coppers were bigging up the place by warning: "It's a bit rough up here fella's". When we told them we were off for something to eat after they asked where we were going.
They weren't joking - witnessed a couple of lads from the other coaches nursing bloodied noses as we all converged on the ground just in time for KO.
Anyway, for your Goldstone and Ayresome, I'll raise you Burnden Park.
I went to Ayresome Park for a 2-0 win in 1993 & Burnden Park for a 2-1 win around Christmas 1995, both enjoyable away days. Anyone else savour the delights of the away end at Plough Lane?

oscillatewildly

I went to Ayresome Park for a 2-0 win in 1993 & Burnden Park for a 2-1 win around Christmas 1995, both enjoyable away days. Anyone else savour the delights of the away end at Plough Lane?
My one and only visit to Bolton was that xmas '95 fixture. Absolutely taiters standing on that open terrace. The unlikeliest of late winners for us helping to warm the mood,
Only ever went to Plough lane once as well - The night before managed to blag a handful of complementaries from Micky Gynn at Whitley members club. 0-0 around 1990.

ovduk78

My one and only visit to Bolton was that xmas '95 fixture. Absolutely taiters standing on that open terrace. The unlikeliest of late winners for us helping to warm the mood,
Only ever went to Plough lane once as well - The night before managed to blag a handful of complementaries from Micky Gynn at Whitley members club. 0-0 around 1990.
I think the Bolton game was the coldest I have ever been at a match.
I went to Plough Lane to watch Newcastle in the league cup with a couple of mates but we got there 15 minutes after kick off and they wouldn't let us and about 20 other in, so 1 of them broke down the wooden fencing on the side and we climbed in & we were in the family enclosure. I got us moved to the end and we stood in front of the toilets & food shack. The floor was wet as the toilets was just a wall to piss against & with no plumbing it just went down the terracing!

Leamington Pete

Only just caught up with this thread. Here’s a pic I took from the away seats in March ‘81. Got stuffed 4-1 if I’m not mistaken. Got another shot somewhere featuring the Cov fans huddled on the open terrace which I’ll dig out one day. I put my old Cov images on my twitter account from time to time if anyone’s interested. @PeteRowePhoto

Attachments

• 923F09A2-FE3C-4E6D-AC67-610E033A8B9B.jpeg
    923F09A2-FE3C-4E6D-AC67-610E033A8B9B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21

Tartan Specials

Sorry, I was drunk and watching the Brighton Vs Wolves game. It got me thinking that it's one of the few new grounds that appear to be better than the original. Even though I love the higgledy-piggledy grounds (The Vetch Field!), The Goldstone was always a dump. Lockdown does strange things to you, lol.

Magwitch

Trying to think of the grounds I’ve been to that are no longer there 23 altogether

Aryesome Park...Middlesbrough
Rocker Park...Sunderland
Burndon Park...Bolton
Highbury....Arsenal
Upton Park....West Ham
White Hart Lane...Tottenham
Plough Lane Wimbledon
The Den ....Millwall
Filbert Street....Leicester
Victoria Ground....Stoke
Eastville...Bristol Rovers
Wembley
Baseball Ground...Derby
Maine Road...Manchester City
Gay Meadow...Shrewsbury
Millmoor...Rotherham
County Ground...Northampton
Vetch Field...Swansea
Griffin Park...Brentford
Leeds Road...Huddersfield
Saddler Road...Walsall
HIGHFIELD ROAD 😪

Soon to be
Kenilworth Road... Luton
and my favourite of the lot
Goodison Park...Everton

Tartan Specials

Trying to think of the grounds I’ve been to that are no longer there 23 altogether

Aryesome Park...Middlesbrough
Rocker Park...Sunderland
Burndon Park...Bolton
Highbury....Arsenal
Upton Park....West Ham
White Hart Lane...Tottenham
Plough Lane Wimbledon
The Den ....Millwall
Filbert Street....Leicester
Victoria Ground....Stoke
Eastville...Bristol Rovers
Wembley
Baseball Ground...Derby
Maine Road...Manchester City
Gay Meadow...Shrewsbury
Millmoor...Rotherham
County Ground...Northampton
Vetch Field...Swansea
Griffin Park...Brentford
Leeds Road...Huddersfield
Saddler Road...Walsall
HIGHFIELD ROAD 😪

Soon to be
Kenilworth Road... Luton
and my favourite of the lot
Goodison Park...Everton
The Dell. The Goldstone Ground. Chester - Sealand Rd (I think?). Horror of horrors,but do Sutton have a new ground?

Users who are viewing this thread