Saddlebrains

Jul 2, 2019
Coventry
Has absolutely changed us

The wing back system just did not work anymore. We've gone from leaking goals and looking lost to being one of the most dangerous teams going forward in this division while not being too shoddy at the back.

Its getting the best out of the players we have while showing that those who we thought were still good enough, unfortunately arent anymore

If we can get the box to box midfielder of quality and a winger or 2 in this month, we could have a really interesting second half couldnt we?

Before anyone starts about my bedwetting, yes I was. But since the change of shape we've been superb.

clint van damme

May 3, 2015
It’s vintage Robins - his ability to change the system mid-season and get results out of it is mesmerising.

He also seems to benefit from unfortunate events!
Steve Taylor getting ill saw Viveash brought into the club.
Jobello getting injured was the catalyst for changing shape in L1.
Personal issues for Fadz saw him drop out of games and allowed Robins to go to a 4.

I wonder who's going to have to have a shit time to facilitate us winning the Chapions League?!

Alkhen

Jul 23, 2012
Gloucestershire

The wing back system just did not work anymore. We've gone from leaking goals and looking lost to being one of the most dangerous teams going forward in this division while not being too shoddy at the back.

Its getting the best out of the players we have while showing that those who we thought were still good enough, unfortunately arent anymore

If we can get the box to box midfielder of quality and a winger or 2 in this month, we could have a really interesting second half couldnt we?

Before anyone starts about my bedwetting, yes I was. But since the change of shape we've been superb.
Nice to hear you positive, fair play to admit the bedwetting.

If we have another poor run maybe hold your next bout off a touch longer and trust the management team that have year on year progressed us 😉

Reactions: Saddlebrains

NorthernWisdom

Apr 23, 2013
Well for starters sakamoto has gone from being a pointless signing to one of the best in the last 20 years because we changed system
Not sure anyone would have seen him hit the vein of goalscoring either. Got zero league goals before this season (zero!) outside of Japan, but suddenly he's got a goal conversion rate nearly twice that of Wright's, and 2/3 better than Godden's!

Reactions: clint van damme

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Aug 26, 2016
He also seems to benefit from unfortunate events!
Steve Taylor getting ill saw Viveash brought into the club.
Jobello getting injured was the catalyst for changing shape in L1.
Personal issues for Fadz saw him drop out of games and allowed Robins to go to a 4.

I wonder who's going to have to have a shit time to facilitate us winning the Chapions League?!
Jones getting injured in League two forced a shape change that got the best out of McNulty aswell

Evo1883

May 25, 2013
Coventry
Not sure anyone would have seen him hit the vein of goalscoring either. Got zero league goals before this season (zero!) outside of Japan, but suddenly he's got a goal conversion rate nearly twice that of Wright's, and 2/3 better than Godden's!
We've definitely signed him based off data , and we're now getting the best from him .

Superb scouting

Jamesimus

Jul 19, 2011

Congrats on the dry sheets mate, those training pants really work!

Just had to play the system that suits the personnel, that’s all we needed, mad isn’t it.

Calista

Sep 30, 2013

Genuine question - do any of your previous harsh judgements of our new players, the character assasinations or the accusations of disharmony in the camp still stand?
Looks like one of the best squads we've had since dropping out of the Prem to me, and at least from the outside it seems like there's real togetherness.

Reactions: Martin180

pusbccfc

Apr 15, 2011
Coventry
Well for starters sakamoto has gone from being a pointless signing to one of the best in the last 20 years because we changed system

Building the team around our superstar signings rather than shoehorning them into our old system. Robins must wish he tried it earlier.

NorthernWisdom

Apr 23, 2013
Yeah, I don't think we could have made the change successfully earlier in the season.
Also worth noting there are games during this run where we've played just as well (or poorly!) as earlier in the season, just we've got the breaks (Plymouth!) where earlier we didn't.

It's not just formation but also that bit of luck, and also a bit of players getting more familiar with one another regardless of formation.

NorthernWisdom

Apr 23, 2013
Genuine question - do any of your previous harsh judgements of our new players, the character assasinations or the accusations of disharmony in the camp still stand?
Looks like one of the best squads we've had since dropping out of the Prem to me, and at least from the outside it seems like there's real togetherness.
tbf I'd expect everyone to be happier when we win than when we lose. Easy to point to disharmony earlier in the season when it's just players being down at us not getting the results.

Calista

Sep 30, 2013
Also worth noting there are games during this run where we've played just as well (or poorly!) as earlier in the season, just we've got the breaks (Plymouth!) where earlier we didn't.

It's not just formation but also that bit of luck, and also a bit of players getting more familiar with one another regardless of formation.
Yes, we lost a lot of points in very close games in the first few months, and recently a lot of things seem to have gone our way. But IMO we've been a good Championship side all the way through, and we're improving.

NorthernWisdom

Apr 23, 2013
Yes, we lost a lot of points in very close games in the first few months, and recently a lot of things seem to have gone our way. But IMO we've been a good Championship side all the way through, and we're improving.
There have honestly been no games this season where I've thought we've looked awful. individual players, maybe(!) but not the team (and I know many will throw Cardiff at me, but I thought we looked alright!)

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011
It’s vintage Robins - his ability to change the system mid-season and get results out of it is mesmerising.
To be fair, it's nearly always happened when circumstances has forced his hand. Like Jobello getting injured in league meaning we changed to wingbacks, Godden being injured meaning we went to more of a box. Now Wilson's form and McFadz being unavailable meant he could tweak it. I'm not sure he would have dropped Fadz had he not had an enforced absence. Jones getting injured in league two, bringing in Max to get the best out of McNulty.

Edit: just seen Clint has said the exact same thing earlier.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

TomRad85

Apr 30, 2018
There have honestly been no games this season where I've thought we've looked awful. individual players, maybe(!) but not the team (and I know many will throw Cardiff at me, but I thought we looked alright!)
Rotherham away, West Brom home and for large parts Huddersfield at home. Also, although a decent result away I thought Hull away was a turgid watch.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TomRad85

Apr 30, 2018
Basically we're much more fun to watch since the change in shape, as well as much more effective.

NorthernWisdom

Apr 23, 2013
Rotherham away, West Brom home and for large parts Huddersfield at home. Also, although a decent result away I thought Hull away was a turgid watch.

I thought we were alright against Huddersfield and West Brom. tbf I can't speak for Rotherham as I didn't see it.

NorthernWisdom

Apr 23, 2013
To be fair, it's nearly always happened when circumstances has forced his hand. Like Jobello getting injured in league meaning we changed to wingbacks, Godden being injured meaning we went to more of a box. Now Wilson's form and McFadz being unavailable meant he could tweak it. I'm not sure he would have dropped Fadz had he not had an enforced absence. Jones getting injured in league two, bringing in Max to get the best out of McNulty.

Edit: just seen Clint has said the exact same thing earlier.

The Jones one is harsh really. Given he was off to Leeds we were probably working on a change anyway.

Reactions: TomRad85

Jamesimus

Jul 19, 2011

West Brom wasn’t brilliant. Wasn’t sure at the time if Hull were just better than us or we were bad.

Reactions: Bova and TomRad85

TomRad85

Apr 30, 2018
The Jones one is harsh really. Given he was off to Leeds we were probably working on a change anyway.
Yep and we'd have got some cash instead of an injured player who never fully recovered.

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011
I know, But if I went from a position of McNulty being awful, losing the leagues standout player to getting promoted.

Users who are viewing this thread