The 1960's feeling.... (1 Viewer)

Voice_of_Reason

Back in the 1960's a guy named Jimmy Hill came to Coventry.. what hapened next was that the crowds starting coming back and it was the "feel good" feeling returning to what had been a miserable few years (apart from promotion from Div 4 ) that created the impetus and launch of a tremendous next 40 years in Sky Blues history. We are now EXACTLY where we were 50 years ago - in Div 3.

I get this feeling again... with bigger crowds urging the team on I feel an impetus could see a big upturn in our fortunes. PUSB

Otis

It's just one game VOR, one game. :wave:

Maintain this level of interest and passion from the fans and we might be on to something. An air of positivity and belief can go a long way, but we need to maintain the spirit and interest shown at the Gillingham game and carry it on through.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I was there in the 1960's VOR and ever since, apart from one 6th place finish and an FA Cup victory, there hasn't been much to cheer about at CCFC. But they are MY club and I will follow them till I snuff away from this world. I just hope you're right with your prediction of success. Forgive me if I don't hold my breath just yet!

Voice_of_Reason

I was there in the 1960's VOR and ever since, apart from one 6th place finish and an FA Cup victory, there hasn't been much to cheer about at CCFC. But they are MY club and I will follow them till I snuff away from this world. I just hope you're right with your prediction of success. Forgive me if I don't hold my breath just yet!

Note to SISU. Jimmy Hill recognized the importance of including the supporters and making them feeling wanted, needed and excited. The Sky Blue express, kid's parties and more. He wanted them to feel it was their club and knew how important it was to get the supporters feel part of the family. SISU do not for some bizare reason realize yet the importance of this. Customers (supporters in our case) are needed to make our club a success. ( I was in my mid-twenties in the 60's).

Delboycov

Before my time VOR but Jimmy Hill had the backing of a fantastic Chairman who supported ideas which were unheard of and probably laughed at in some quarters....ideas that not only had a positive impact on our club and our city but football in general. The current Chairman is Tim Fisher.

shmmeee

Jimmy Hill would be lambasted on the Internet if he tried that stuff today. Just look at the reaction any change to the standard matchday experience gets in here and even more so on GMK.

I imagine LS, FP, etc would have gone into "cringe" overload.

Otis

Only difference is that last time, owners, manager, team and fans were all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Can't mention Jimmy Hill without mentioning Derrick Robins. We have the team, the fans and the manager, but unfortunately Sisu are no Derrick Robins.

Still think we can have a very positive season however and the fans can obviously play a massive part in that.

Gint11

Give credit where it is due. Fair play to CCFC for listening to the fans and re-opening the North stand. I think it is a great idea to close off the tops rows and bunch people together near the front. Not only will that generate a better atmosphere and look better on TV when a game is aired but also keeps fans behind a goal which is important. Keep it up.

Otis

Give credit where it is due. Fair play to CCFC for listening to the fans and re-opening the North stand. I think it is a great idea to close off the tops rows and bunch people together near the front. Not only will that generate a better atmosphere and look better on TV when a game is aired but also keeps fans behind a goal which is important. Keep it up.

Is this just your own opinion, or have the club said anything? I am in one of the rows near the top of the Tesco Stand.

Last edited:

Gint11

Is this just your own opinion, or have the club said anything? I am in one of the rows near the top of the Tesco Stand.

Read it on CET I think. Row LL and down. Although just read a thread that they are closing the South stand now. Keeps changing.

Otis

Considering I went out and deliberately chose that seat because of the view and after trying several different seats and rows etc., are the club now just going to give me any ticket they feel like?

Won't be a hppy bunny if they just throw some random ticket at me. I am on the end of a row right on the half way line. What I consider to be a perfect view.

diggerdaley

The team in the sixties was'nt made up of loan players,that may go back to their clubs in January,to be replaced by more loan players.

Otis

The team in the sixties was'nt made up of loan players,that may go back to their clubs in January,to be replaced by more loan players.

Differnet era. Times have changed. How many testimonial matches do you have these days for long serving players? If that is still to happen then the criteria should be any player who stays longer than 2 seasons.

skybluefred

Back in the 1960's a guy named Jimmy Hill came to Coventry.. what hapened next was that the crowds starting coming back and it was the "feel good" feeling returning to what had been a miserable few years (apart from promotion from Div 4 ) that created the impetus and launch of a tremendous next 40 years in Sky Blues history. We are now EXACTLY where we were 50 years ago - in Div 3.

I get this feeling again... with bigger crowds urging the team on I feel an impetus could see a big upturn in our fortunes. PUSB

In those days we had Derek Robbins & John Camkin---now we have sisu. The first of those wanted success for CCFC the others want success for themselves
with no thought for CCFC or the fans.

martcov

It was certainly a different era. People took part in the "Sky Blue Pool" because it raised money for the club - no-one would dream of that now. I was at junior school and my family weren't interested in football, but soon everyone was talking about city. The "sky blue express" for the away following etc.. The city was doing well, car workers earning good money, house prices rising, full employment... Now we discuss insolvency law, EU opinions on financing and illegal ( or not ) state funding. Before we went to a game to enjoy it....be part of the crowd, meet our mates, talk about the game and enjoy the positive atmosphere. Was in Broadgate waving my rattle when we went up ( rattles were banned not so long afterwards ).. I don't hate Tim Fisher - or even SISU - but they are just not the people to inspire the population of Coventry or get them into the stadium ( unless, og course, making them go "cold turkey" and then letting them have their fun again, counts as serious marketing ).

They have caused more division and unrest in Coventry than any 70's strikes or 80's riots. I hope they see a way out and leave. We need someone that wants the glory and has plenty of capital - because they won't make money, at least in the short term.

covcity4life

Considering I went out and deliberately chose that seat because of the view and after trying several different seats and rows etc., are the club now just going to give me any ticket they feel like?

Won't be a hppy bunny if they just throw some random ticket at me. I am on the end of a row right on the half way line. What I consider to be a perfect view.

its only LL and below in northstand as far as i am aware.

if your on halfway line you should not be effected.

Otis

its only LL and below in northstand as far as i am aware.

if your on halfway line you should not be effected.

LL and below or above? :confused: You're confusing me now. Last post you said LL and above and now you are saying LL and below. Are you confusing yourself or don't you have a bleeding clue what you are talking about? :cool:

covcity4life

LL and below or above? :confused: You're confusing me now. Last post you said LL and above and now you are saying LL and below. Are you confusing yourself or don't you have a bleeding clue what you are talking about? :cool:

listen up scum bag

north stand closed LL and above

main stand is normal.

Spagbol

Otis are you being stupid on purpose? LL and above is closed unless there is demand in the north stand(cet) only. South stand is closed to home supporters, unless there is demand. :wave:

Otis

Otis are you being stupid on purpose? LL and above is closed unless there is demand in the north stand(cet) only. South stand is closed to home supporters, unless there is demand. :wave:

I'm always stupid on purpose.

Have made a career out of it.

blueflint

i was there loved every minute of it i can remember the days before jimmy hill and they were better than now as we had atmosphere then

rupert_bear

Listening to Fisher when interviewed last 'Friday promotion is the last thing he wants, can't afford it apparently.

Paxman II

arhh them were the days. The Bisto ads, fairy liquid and all the rest. I remember the coal man delivering the coal. No washing machines and spin dryers then and black and white TV reserved for a Sunday. As a kid I had a transistor radio under the pillow listening to a fading Radio Luxembourg and thought it was from a far, far away place and even fainter radio Caroline. Yes those were the less complicated days, lucky if you had a telephone in your house which was a big boast!
Then along came Jimmy Hill.....

Bill Glazier

It's just one game VOR, one game. :wave:

Maintain this level of interest and passion from the fans and we might be on to something. An air of positivity and belief can go a long way, but we need to maintain the spirit and interest shown at the Gillingham game and carry it on through.

I normally agree with what you say Otis, but I don't think it's up to the fans. If the team does well, and I think Pressley's really got something going, then the fans will pour in. That's what happened under Jimmy Hill. A promotion push will do the job.

Otis

I normally agree with what you say Otis, but I don't think it's up to the fans. If the team does well, and I think Pressley's really got something going, then the fans will pour in. That's what happened under Jimmy Hill. A promotion push will do the job.

Yes, agree with that, Bill.

Think the fans have a major part to play in all this, but it is a chicken and egg situation and if the team do well on the pitch that will get the fans onboard and back into the stadium.

Otis

Otis I always had you down as a bit more left of centre than that!

That's nothing! After that I was in the Khmer Rouge!!

Or thinking about it, maybe that was Cafe Rouge. :thinking about: They may not be quite as horrible, but they do, do a mean cup of coffee.

Gazolba

We are now EXACTLY where we were 50 years ago - in Div 3. [/QUOTE said:
I'm afraid this is nonsense. Jimmy Hill was a new manager with new ideas. We don't have a new manager and certainly no new ideas. Jimmy Hill brought in the top scorers in the division and the best goal keeper in the division (Bill Glazier). We have now sold all of our top scorers (McGoldrick, Clarke, Wilson), our best goal keepers (Westwood, Murphy), and currently have a loanee goalkeeper because our own no 1 is not good enough. Our goalkeeper and top scorer are loanees who will leave in January.
No, we are a world away from the Jimmy Hill years when we boasted a forward line with two international wingers, the mercurial George Hudson, and the England U-23 goalkeeper.

Last edited:

Otis

That feeling didn't last very long at all did it. :(

Who would have thought after that Gillingham game we would now only have 6,000 City fans turning up to games.

And if this poor run of form continues, with the onset of winter, you can only think the attendances can drop further still.

Excitement and a winning team bring fans in. At the moment we have neither.

The football may seem 'pretty' on the surface, but it is also all rather dull and predictable.

In the words of the Stranglers ..... Something Better Change

[video=youtube;oSEOzimKnEY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSEOzimKnEY[/video]

Voice_of_Reason

That feeling didn't last very long at all did it. :(

Who would have thought after that Gillingham game we would now only have 6,000 City fans turning up to games.

And if this poor run of form continues, with the onset of winter, you can only think the attendances can drop further still.

Excitement and a winning team bring fans in. At the moment we have neither.

The football may seem 'pretty' on the surface, but it is also all rather dull and predictable.

In the words of the Stranglers ..... Something Better Change

[video=youtube;oSEOzimKnEY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSEOzimKnEY[/video]

Yes, Otis, how wrong I was ! Instead of building on the successful return to the Ricoh our wonderful owners and manager simply did not have a clue as to how to keep the impetus going !

rupert_bear

The fans are talking with their feet, the twelve month exile, the constant selling of the better players, the woeful performances and a manager that as each week passes looks way way out of his depth. 7/8000 will be our normal home fan gate and apart form Peterborough I don't see much more than a few hundred away fans each game so times look pretty grim for the near future.
How long can sisu last like this ?

Users who are viewing this thread