Talksport Danny Kelly (1 Viewer)

6 Generations

' The most callous act of treachery' in the history of the game,

Danny Kelly will discuss Robins desertion of our sinking ship, shortly.

kg82

Media on our side! I'm just trying to figure out if CCFC can use that to their advantage with the appointment of the new manager...

6 Generations

Media on our side! I'm just trying to figure out if CCFC can use that to their advantage with the appointment of the new manager...
Even Adrian Durham, who has traditionally dismissed our club and city as insignificant, actually sympathised with our plight.

And, although he said that Robins is a good manager, he could not justify why he left us to join Huddersfield, UNLESS IT WAS GREED..

kg82

Well, who doesn't dismiss us as insignificant! In my opinion, he's right. Nowt against Huddersfield.

jabharty

He's very much on our side at the moment, said it was a poor showing of loyalty. Talking about the last press conference he had. Pretty standard stuff.

Colonel Mustard

Funny listening to this. Danny Kelly is more upset about the Robins departure than Andy Turner is. Defeatist attitude in this city.

theferret

Funny listening to this. Danny Kelly is more upset about the Robins departure than Andy Turner is. Defeatist attitude in this city.

Uh? The local hack refuses to jump up and down with false indignation and this somehow renders the whole city defeatist?

Anyone would think we are the first club to ever have their manager poached. Some people need to have a word with themselves.

Colonel Mustard

Uh? The local hack refuses to jump up and down with false indignation and this somehow renders the whole city defeatist?

Reverse that statement and you have it - minus the 'false' part.

Anyone would think we are the first club to ever have their manager poached. Some people need to have a word with themselves.

Defeatist mindset right there.

You do not need to 'jump up and down with indignation' to be peeved that a manager has chosen to walk five months into a three year contract.

dongonzalos

Even Adrian Durham, who has traditionally dismissed our club and city as insignificant, actually sympathised with our plight.

And, although he said that Robins is a good manager, he could not justify why he left us to join Huddersfield, UNLESS IT WAS GREED..

He said he understood why he went but he should not have lied to the fans regarding the colour of his blood.

theferret

Reverse that statement and you have it - minus the 'false' part.

Defeatist mindset right there.

You do not need to 'jump up and down with indignation' to be peeved that a manager has chosen to walk five months into a three year contract.

No it isn't. What do you want, more anger? Shall we all converge on Huddersfield and drag him back kicking and screaming?

Being defeatist is taking the view that with his departure goes any chance of promotion this season. I don't believe that, quite the opposite in fact, I believe we are still in there with a fair chance. So let's just get on with the business of winning football games and appointing the new man as soon as possible rather than bleating about something we have no power to change.

Not going to cry about it. Will go to Bury and cheer the team on as normal.

Colonel Mustard

No it isn't. What do you want, more anger? Shall we all converge on Huddersfield and drag him back kicking and screaming? Being defeatist is taking the view that with his departure goes any chance of promotion this season.

My claim of defeatism was much more general than that. The dictionary definition of defeatism is 'demonstrating expectation or acceptance of failure'. Sums Coventry up to a tee.

I don't believe that, quite the opposite in fact, I believe we are still in there with a fair chance.

A fair chance? The team has a nominal chance at best. That is not based on gut instinct, but the facts of history; the team would need to go on a very improbable run of success to make the playoffs.

So let's just get on with the business of winning football games and appointing the new man as soon as possible rather than bleating about something we have no power to change.

To take and accept it without protest ... defeatism, wouldn't you say?

theferret

My claim of defeatism was much more general than that. The dictionary definition of defeatism is 'demonstrating expectation or acceptance of failure'. Sums Coventry up to a tee.

A fair chance? The team has a nominal chance at best. That is not based on gut instinct, but the facts of history; the team would need to go on a very improbable run of success to make the playoffs.

To take and accept it without protest ... defeatism, wouldn't you say?

What sums Coventry up to a tee is how it coped during times of real strife - the Blitz for example, the very definition of refusing to be defeated.

Some people just love to have a go at this city. I, however, believe it is a great city and the people stoic and resilient, but that's because I refuse to have a defeatist attitude and wallow in self-pity.

Now then, if we're talking about defeatism, writing off our chances as 'nominal at best' reeks of it.

We have 14 games left. We need to amass something like 26-28 points to make the playoffs. In our last 14 games our tally was 27 points. Improbable? To simply repeat our points haul from the last 14 games. Really?

Colonel Mustard

What sums Coventry up to a tee is how it coped during times of real strife - the Blitz for example, the very definition of refusing to be defeated.

The Blitz that took place 72 years ago and didn't involve 99.99% of the people currently alive and from the city?

Some people just love to have a go at this city. I, however, believe it is a great city and the people stoic and resilient, but that's because I refuse to have a defeatist attitude and wallow in self-pity.

You continue to confuse criticism with weakness. It is plausible to criticise the city because people have love for it and wish for it to improve in any number of aspects. Keeping the chin up and the blinkers on is no way to progress.

Now then, if we're talking about defeatism, writing off our chances as 'nominal at best' reeks of it.

Well, if you want to call it a defeatist analysis, then that's fine. But it is a rational analysis, not a character trait.

We have 14 games left. We need to amass something like 26-28 points to make the playoffs. In our last 14 games our tally was 27 points. Improbable? To simply repeat our points haul from the last 14 games. Really?

Really. I crunched the numbers a couple of weeks back (and posted them on this forum) and it was looking unlikely then - things have only gotten worse since.

Colonel Mustard

To elaborate on why this is very unlikely...

1. Over the past couple of decades, 74 points or fewer has been good for a playoff spot around 25% of the time. So generally speaking, we have a 1 in 4 chance of your points goal being the threshold.

2. Yes, CCFC have got 27 points in the last 14 games. It has been a great run that has yielded a clip of 1.92 points per game. The team at the top of the table, Bournemouth, have an average of 1.81 points per game. So we have to maintain form for a considerable period of time that is way, way beyond what even the table-toppers are achieving. And even if CCFC continue that terrific run of form, it would only take them to 74 points which, as we know, is rarely enough for a playoff spot.

So - very unlikely. A nominal chance. I wish it weren't so, but the start to the season is a weight around the ankles.

theferret

The Blitz that took place 72 years ago and didn't involve 99.99% of the people currently alive and from the city?

You continue to confuse criticism with weakness. It is plausible to criticise the city because people have love for it and wish for it to improve in any number of aspects. Keeping the chin up and the blinkers on is no way to progress.

Well, if you want to call it a defeatist analysis, then that's fine. But it is a rational analysis, not a character trait.

Really. I crunched the numbers a couple of weeks back (and posted them on this forum) and it was looking unlikely then - things have only gotten worse since.

You do not have an argument that stands up to any sort of scrutiny I'm afraid. What is your point? Your argument about this city's supposed propensity to 'defeatism' is its apparent lack of righteous indignation about the untimely departure of Mark Robins? Is that it? All this against a backdrop of so called 'rational analysis' that suggests we have practically no hope of being promoted this season. The irony here is that yours is probably the most defeatist appraisal of our chances I have yet come across.

A classic case of somebody seeing something that isn't there. All this nonsense talk about defeatism which amounts to nothing more than an opinion based on half-baked observations and weak anecdotal evidence that has no factual basis.

Put simply, just another miserable old cynic trying far too hard to find fault with their home city. It could just be that the general acceptance of most people to recent events is an example of the type of 'rational analysis' you run to when it suits. But that doesn't fit the with 'everything's shit' view of Coventry that many people seem determined to make happen.

SkyBlueRuffian

Danny Kelly always gets his words wrong, firstly saying Judas signed a contract with us 5 weeks ago, then calling Andy Turner, Andy King, thats why you've got to love Talk Sport, quality station:mad:

Colonel Mustard

You do not have an argument that stands up to any sort of scrutiny I'm afraid. What is your point? Your argument about this city's supposed propensity to 'defeatism' is its apparent lack of righteous indignation about the untimely departure of Mark Robins? Is that it?

No, that is not 'it'. I clarified that in my first response to you.

All this against a backdrop of so called 'rational analysis' that suggests we have practically no hope of being promoted this season. The irony here is that yours is probably the most defeatist appraisal of our chances I have yet come across.

Read the post above yours. Rational analysis. It may be a 'defeatist analysis' (as you are so desperate to attach an emotional label to basic math), but I remain optimistic about the future. As ever.

A classic case of somebody seeing something that isn't there. All this nonsense talk about defeatism which amounts to nothing more than an opinion based on half-baked observations and weak anecdotal evidence that has no factual basis.

Undeniably anecdotal. I certainly never said that there is a scientific basis for the city's defeatism.

Put simply, just another miserable old cynic trying far too hard to find fault with their home city.

Ad hom attack. Weak. And wrong, by the way.

It could just be that the general acceptance of most people to recent events is an example of the type of 'rational analysis' you run to when it suits. But that doesn't fit the with 'everything's shit' view of Coventry that many people seem determined to make happen.

For somebody who is so against being indignant, you sure come across as indignant.

Last edited:

stupot07

The best bit about the interview was when he said he would like to hear the comments of the chair of the LMA, who is always the first one in the media slating clubs for sacking managers prematurely.

Users who are viewing this thread