Match Thread Swansea City - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 19th Aug (4 Viewers)

shepardo01

PGMOL have had him apologise for his performance last week.... Unfortunately it does not change the result for Rotherham.

shmmeee

Surprise 1 nil win - get your Wembley hotels and Wembley logistics thread will appear

If we beat Swansea away I’ll start to believe, even if it is only 3 games in. My least favourite bogey side cos you just spend 90 minutes watching them play keep ball.

shmmeee

Im assuming this will be on the dodgy streams? Not sure I want to gamble on being able to get on via my vpn first game.

edgy

First must win game of the season. IMO.

Win and we're in the Top 6. Lose...... well doesn't bare thinking about.

theferret

Not looking forward to this. Drive down will be horrendous. Nowhere decent to get a drink and storm Betty treating us to 50mph wind gusts. Apart from that, it'll be a top away day.

PVA

I just don't want us to get overrun in midfield. It happens too often. Palmer needs to show he's more than just a luxury player, else get someone like Saka in away from home to offer some wide threat and put some defensive yards in.
We also don't want an anonymous Godden away game he needs to be involved. Hopefully, his confidence is reasonable high.

Palmer is not a luxury player. He does far more defensive work than (many) people give him credit for. He was in the 99th percentile for tackles made and 97th percentile for passes blocked in the Championship last season when compared with other AMs and wingers.

Robins wouldn't pick him if he didn't do any defensive work.

His energy levels do drop late into games though, that's a fair criticism.

Last edited:

Alkhen

Palmer is not a luxury player. He does far more defensive work than people give him credit for. He was in the 99th percentile for tackles made and 97th percentile for passes blocked in the Championship last season when compared with other AMs and wingers.

Robins wouldn't pick him if he didn't do any defensive work.

His energy levels do drop late into games though, that's a fair criticism.

Yep such a weird narrative pinned to Palmer. Not sure why but it's like people just took what the Bristol City fans said prior to him joining us and that was him eternally labelled.

Would agree that he can tire but I'm sure he can work on that, I hope he stays fit and gets a run as he can open up defenses like few else in our squad.

Ooh Ah

Not looking forward to this. Drive down will be horrendous. Nowhere decent to get a drink and storm Betty treating us to 50mph wind gusts. Apart from that, it'll be a top away day.

Come on, Marina/Sea front early for a drink, easy 20min journey to the ground, to watch our first victory since the 50's. What's not to like?

I'll probably be in the brewery near the Marina. I've put on a little weight, have one eye but a lot friendlier than I look. To blend in, I'll be speaking in a Welsh accent. I'm a hugger, so just come over, wrap your arms round and whisper Sky Blue Army. I'll buy you a beer.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It'll be an unchanged team, though I reckon MR will be toying with the idea of swapping Simms and Wright if Simms doesn't get off the mark in the next two or three games.

I reckon 1-1 in a quite bland match where they keep the ball for ages and we let them.

Hertsccfc

It'll be an unchanged team, though I reckon MR will be toying with the idea of swapping Simms and Wright if Simms doesn't get off the mark in the next two or three games.

I reckon 1-1 in a quite bland match where they keep the ball for ages and we let them.
Surely with another week's training behind him Wright comes in for Simms now? Otherwise yes an unchanged team i suspect. Maybe Sakamoto for van Ewijk?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Surely with another week's training behind him Wright comes in for Simms now? Otherwise yes an unchanged team i suspect. Maybe Sakamoto for van Ewijk?
More that MR tends to not change a winning team, so I doubt he will just now unless forced to.

Personally I would pick Wright as well, but at the same time he's working well off the bench and Simms' confidence seems to be quite fragile right now and I wonder if benching him might make that worse.

Hertsccfc

More that MR tends to not change a winning team, so I doubt he will just now unless forced to.

Personally I would pick Wright as well, but at the same time he's working well off the bench and Simms' confidence seems to be quite fragile right now and I wonder if benching him might make that worse.
I don't really get that thinking. You have to play your best players. This feels like the argument about Walker a couple of years ago. Then it was argued that Robins shouldn't have dropped Walker after he scored a couple of goals as it would affect his confidence. Gyokeres and Godden had been playing really well and it was obvious why Robins preferred them over Walker when they were fit and available.

Can't deny I haven't been impressed with Simms so far whereas Wright has made an impact as substitute both times. I am not writing Simms off by any means but if Wright is fully fit he should play in my view.

Users who are viewing this thread