Sunderland Fan In Peace (1 Viewer)

BackRoomRummermill

First off, I'll accept and expect the usual abuse, being a Sunderland fan.

Secondly, can we put the pathetic "rivalry' created by fans who don't even attend games to bed. Fact of the matter is, genuine Sunderland fans don't really care about a questionable action that may or may not have happened centuries ago.

FWIW, I actually don't mind Coventry as a club. I find similarities with ourselves. Both somewhat unfashionable clubs, in working class (some would say shithole) areas, but pretty genuine people who just like their footy.

You lot have had the better of us over recent years, and in general, I've not looked forward to playing you. Gyokeres was a tremendous player and Robins is up there with the best in the division.

Anyway, onto Saturday. I feel it will be a close match between two teams who try to play football in the right way. Haven't seen much of you this year, but can't help but feel you should be higher up in the table.

Are you lot feeling confident?
Yes I remember in the 2000’s playing you at home in League and cup and there was very little of this nonsense

slowpoke

Kick off was 7.30 at 7 there were hardly any Bristol fans in the ground can’t remember if it was all ticket but the police delayed the kick off 15 minutes and opened up the gates and Bristol fans poured in, thousands of them. Never mentioned but when we kicked off at 7.45 Sunderland were already 1-0 down.Everton got a second in the last minute sealing their fate.
We played Sunderland many times since never any issue re. the Bristol game ironically including a similar thing when we won at Spurs and they lost at Wimbledon on the last day which meant we stayed up and they were relegated.
That Spurs match also kicked off late due to crowd congestion think there were train issues and over 10000 Cov trying to get in.
All this crap started about 10/15 years ago when a Sunderland key board warrior took it on himself to blame our chairman Jimmy Hill for the Bristol issue.
Also one thing that’s never mentioned is at 2-2 Bristol brought on a youngster in the final minutes and he hit a 30 yard thunder bolt which crashed against the underside of the bar bounced on the line and somehow didn’t go in, thankfully no line technology in those days I was behind that goal and it looked more in than not.

Last edited:

Skyblue Bangkok

Let’s just call it a draw and move on to the two winnable home games that follow.
How many shit hoiking fans are we taking up there this time ? It’s an awful time of the year for travel, especially if the trains are disrupted.
Happy Christmas all, stay safe and have fun 🎅🎄🎅
Going to my first ever match on Xmas Day.

SkyBlueSoul

My only rivalry with Sunderland is that one of my best mates is a fan. Will be watching the game together tomorrow then going on the annual Christmas pub crawl with some other mates, winner buys the other a drink. Draw and it's a shot each for every goal.

ricohroar

Pleasantly surprised by this post and the responses, as most have said already, until the recent 1977 talk never heard of any rivalry before. Some say Cov started it? thats weird as why would we bring up a match from 1977?

anyhow on a similar post on the Sunderland forum you can see who has the issues with who.

Not a nice word in a 7 page post lol

TomRad85

Pleasantly surprised by this post and the responses, as most have said already, until the recent 1977 talk never heard of any rivalry before. Some say Cov started it? thats weird as why would we bring up a match from 1977?

anyhow on a similar post on the Sunderland forum you can see who has the issues with who.

Not a nice word in a 7 page post lol
What a shock

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

CBS16

Their forum is an absolute cesspit to be fair. They can't seem to understand our piss taking on here about 'hoying down shit' and think we actually talk like that 😂 they fucking made it up!
Anyway I actually like the rivalry side to it, gives the game a great edge and have really enjoyed the recent dominance in this fixture. Would never condone violence at the football but so long as that's avoided it's all a bit of a banter to 'sell' the game I suppose.
Agree with a few people, slightly nervous as they're overdue a win against us, but then again I can equally see us shit housing them 1-0

robbiethemole

Perhaps these pair should have a look on their own board before coming here with talk of being friendly, most on their seem to be totally out of touch with realty. Talk of the Luftwaffe doing a good job and calling us a vile and scummy Club and fan base is really going to endear them ain’t it? There are a couple of decent, sensible posts but they get pelted from the loons.
Be friendly with them? nah, no thanks.

Skyblue Bangkok

Stop this fuckin love in,
Sunderland are a massive club, are they fuck.
We saw you crying on Netflix, comedy gold.
Hope we fuckin wallop you tomorrow
PUSB 💙
In that documentary they seemed to like Chris Coleman for about 2 minutes and then hated his guts as the results got worse.

Sky Blue Harry H

Be friendly with them? nah, no thanks.
Aren't you just doing what you're accusing a lot of their forum of doing? We all know that the vast majority of fans of all clubs are decent people. People on the internet can just hide behind their keyboard and spout sh*te. If you met a few people on holiday abroad, or over here, you wouldn't decide on whether you liked them by researching what team they follow, you'd base it upon their behaviour and whether you thought they had similar values/sense of humour as yourself. Every club has a large majority of decent people follow them, with a few tossers thrown in for good measure.

Bidda

Kick off was 7.30 at 7 there were hardly any Bristol fans in the ground can’t remember if it was all ticket but the police delayed the kick off 15 minutes and opened up the gates and Bristol fans poured in, thousands of them. Never mentioned but when we kicked off at 7.45 Sunderland were already 1-0 down.Everton got a second in the last minute sealing their fate.
We played Sunderland many times since never any issue re. the Bristol game ironically including a similar thing when we won at Spurs and they lost at Wimbledon on the last day which meant we stayed up and they were relegated.
That Spurs match also kicked off late due to crowd congestion think there were train issues and over 10000 Cov trying to get in.
All this crap started about 10/15 years ago when a Sunderland key board warrior took it on himself to blame our chairman Jimmy Hill for the Bristol issue.
Also one thing that’s never mentioned is at 2-2 Bristol brought on a youngster in the final minutes and he hit a 30 yard thunder bolt which crashed against the underside of the bar bounced on the line and somehow didn’t go in, thankfully no line technology in those days I was behind that goal and it looked more in than not.
Clive Whitehead?

mrtrench

don't really care about a questionable action that may or may not have happened centuries ago

It definitely happened, I was there. It was wrong. But it isn't the fans that were culpable nor the current regime. And as you write, it was a long time ago.

I'm fine with Mackems not liking it, so long as it's in the pantomime spirit of football and doesn't spill over in real anger.

Good luck for the rest of the season after tomorrow.

Covkid1968#

‘Peugeot shagging inbreds’

Had to chuckle at that on their forum. We have designed and built all manner of automotive stuff over the last 100 years when they and their forefathers were tossing off about building ships….they put together a few Nissans and all of a sudden we are the ones having sex with non British cars.

will be very happy to get a draw but got a bad feeling!! Hope I’m wrong

wingy

‘Peugeot shagging inbreds’

Had to chuckle at that on their forum. We have designed and built all manner of automotive stuff over the last 100 years when they and their forefathers were tossing off about building ships….they put together a few Nissans and all of a sudden we are the ones having sex with non British cars.

will be very happy to get a draw but got a bad feeling!! Hope I’m wrong
Better get that charging network completed or Vehicles will be obsolete!

Robinshio

I hate Sunderland because
1 summerbee ending froggats career
2 Kevin Kyle
3 Peter Reid

but as they never beat us it’s always good to have them in the same division

Milne Out

Sunderland was the First Cup final i saw on a colour TV.
Myself and my Dad went over to a neighbours house to watch Sunderland beat "Dirty" Leeds.
That game back in 1973 was probably the reason i loved the FA cup so much, and longed to get there to watch City lift the cup. The flags, the noise, the under-dogs winning. The unfashionable club beating the easy to follow giant club. Isnt that "real" football at its best ?
Back in the day then in the early 70's, everybody supported Leeds, Liverpool, United or Chelsea.
Our primary schools football team second kit was even a Leeds utd kit !

Never had an issue with Sunderland fans, and always found any i have come across, to be proper football people. I was also at that 2-2 night game against Bristol City, and taking into account the lack of effort in the last 10 minutes, it would hardly have been the only game i'd witness with no-one scoring in the dying stages. I've got more issues with fans of plenty other clubs before Sunderland.
Leeds, Leicester, Villa and ether of the Sheffield clubs, are all teams i quite happily see lose whoever they are playing.
We all probably know lads who have at some stage supported one of the fashionable clubs, before switching their allegiance. I'd very much doubt you'd have too many Sunderland fans doing that. They travel in numbers, they're not glory hunters. Sure they have a few idiots on the day, and on the keyboards.
Yes, at the time, back in '77 i found it amusing what Jimmy Hill had done, and the fact both clubs stayed up. But it could easily have been a different story, with either team winning by a couple of goals, and the Everton game bearing a different result.
I have a grudging respect for any fans of an unfashionable team who travel in numbers, whatever the distance and whatever the weather or time of kick off. And Sunderland fall into that bracket.

On a different note, i disklike both the Sheffield clubs and no real idea why !

Milne Out

I hate Sunderland because
1 summerbee ending froggats career
2 Kevin Kyle
3 Peter Reid

but as they never beat us it’s always good to have them in the same division
anyone else at Forest a couple of years later , when i seem to remember Summerbee cracking in a 20 yarder , after being called something that rhymes with banker, every time he touched the ball, that day, because of the Froggat incident.
That was a bitter pill to swallow , walking out of the City Ground that day.

Ashdown

Sunderland are to play a certain little team just over the water from them in the cup ( The barcodes ) I believe is one of the politer terms they use for NUFC….so in the grand scheme of things this little rivalry tomorrow will pale into insignificance.
Maybe we could take advantage whilst they have eyes elsewhere 🤞

slowpoke

Sunderland are to play a certain little team just over the water from them in the cup ( The barcodes ) I believe is one of the politer terms they use for NUFC….so in the grand scheme of things this little rivalry tomorrow will pale into insignificance.
Maybe we could take advantage whilst they have eyes elsewhere 🤞
Bit of luck a load will get nicked and banned.

blunted

I like football rivalries providing the challenged don't take it beyond sensible banter. I had and still have good friends from Sunderland at college and they were very interested in drinking, football and getting their leg over. Were certainly not as attractive to all women as they thought they were, but that is universal to the young. Obviously I hope Beale is another Rooney situation. Think this game could go any way with Sunderland as favourites. We are still not firing properly and O'Hare is still a long way off from the player he was. This is the Championship so any team can win anywhere.

blunted

Never been to Sunderland as its a bit cold up there. Coventry is not a shithole, it just does not sell itself properly. The shopping is dire but the people are awesome (apart from the nobheads that you find everywhere).

Evo1883

I'd rather keep my opinion of sunderland to myself , your fans spoke about us like we were pieces of shit on their shoe and lauded the nazi bombing of the city .. whatever coventry fans have done to yours in recent years in thoroughly deserved .. cheers

Boicey

I'd rather keep my opinion of sunderland to myself , your fans spoke about us like we were pieces of shit on their shoe and lauded the nazi bombing of the city .. whatever coventry fans have done to yours in recent years in thoroughly deserved .. cheers
This is silly generalised nonsense.
‘whatever coventry fans have done to yours in recent years in thoroughly deserved ‘
Oh dear. Embarrassed for you.

Happy_Martian

It's not just a couple of rogue Sunderland forumites that have raised the German bombings. In their current thread, a guy by the user name "Swindon on Tour" also implies that the Third Reich should have done more to our city.

I have been vocal on here and on the RTG forum about this fucking stupid rivalry. I can't believe adults would act like this and use words that hurt more than just a minority. And this is on both forums. Two clubs that have zero in common other than we are in the same league at the same time. If it's because they're footballing rivals, why don't we (or they) have threads on Norwich, Preston, Sheffield United or Huddersfield. All are in the same league, all aiming for the same league positions. Injuries happen, we don't throw insults or have pages long threads on Man Utd for what happened to Dave Busst.

Time to grow up people. Be the bigger, more mentally superior person and walk away from the insults. Hopefully Sunderland can take the same approach and we'll return to watching good football between two good teams with NONE of the added animosity.

Evo1883

It's not just a couple of rogue Sunderland forumites that have raised the German bombings. In their current thread, a guy by the user name "Swindon on Tour" also implies that the Third Reich should have done more to our city.

I have been vocal on here and on the RTG forum about this fucking stupid rivalry. I can't believe adults would act like this and use words that hurt more than just a minority. And this is on both forums. Two clubs that have zero in common other than we are in the same league at the same time. If it's because they're footballing rivals, why don't we (or they) have threads on Norwich, Preston, Sheffield United or Huddersfield. All are in the same league, all aiming for the same league positions. Injuries happen, we don't throw insults or have pages long threads on Man Utd for what happened to Dave Busst.

Time to grow up people. Be the bigger, more mentally superior person and walk away from the insults. Hopefully Sunderland can take the same approach and we'll return to watching good football between two good teams with NONE of the added animosity.

Let's get it right though , Sunderland fans created this rivalry then got extremely upset that coventry fans acted on their complete disrespect and threats towards us , the rememberance garden and the Jimmy Hill statue ... Sunderland fans can say they never said these things , however the security officer and the police along with the club saw it fit to put tarp all around the rememberance garden

Evo1883

This is silly generalised nonsense.
‘whatever coventry fans have done to yours in recent years in thoroughly deserved ‘
Oh dear. Embarrassed for you.
I couldn't give a flying fuck ya wet fart , me and you don't need to communicate at all

An absolute persistence in talking shit and you know fuck all about football .. be gone

Boicey

I couldn't give a flying fuck ya wet fart , me and you don't need to communicate at all

An absolute persistence in talking shit and you know fuck all about football .. be gone
This is what keyboard ‘hard man’ is really like.
A Coward.
Pathetic.

Happy_Martian

Let's get it right though , Sunderland fans created this rivalry then got extremely upset that coventry fans acted on their complete disrespect and threats towards us , the rememberance garden and the Jimmy Hill statue ... Sunderland fans can say they never said these things , however the security officer and the police along with the club saw it fit to put tarp all around the rememberance garden

I found and posted the Sunderland idiot's tweet about damaging the garden on the RTG forum so the evidence is there for them.

And to re-use your comment above to Boicey, I couldn't give a flying fuck who started it or who's Dad is bigger, it's a joke and it really needs to end before someone gets hurt. Don't need a love-in but limit comments to inside the grounds. There wasn't trouble at the CBS before this started and the muppets who go to the SoL with the intention of creating havoc were absent 5 years ago. Unless this stops, it will continue to escalate.

That's why I say "Be your own hero. Walk away with your head held high." And people shouldn't drag Coventry City FC into insult fights that only prove how ignorant the posters are.

Users who are viewing this thread