Stand up if you've never watched Wasps (1 Viewer)

NortonSkyBlue

Having supported Wasps originally in Sudbury, then Loftus Road, then at Adams Park which was great as I live in Wycombe, the move to Coventry was not welcomed unilaterally in my household. It's a great stadium, but the price for seeing my team play there is that it takes nearly all of Sunday including travelling, compared with 3 hours previously. But I'd rather give up that time and see them thrive, rather that live from hand to mouth as tenants of a football club.

But the sad reality for CCFC fans, despite the frustration, anger, bile (and some bad grammar) on this thread is that the people of Coventry are voting with their feet - around 17,000 average home attendances for Wasps, compared with 7,500 for CCFC (both numbers include freebies).

It was the CCFC owners who caused this situation. Wasps simply took advantage of a good business opportunity. End of.
As much as I would like to say fuck off and do one, Bargpole has summed it up perfectly.

covmark

Having supported Wasps originally in Sudbury, then Loftus Road, then at Adams Park which was great as I live in Wycombe, the move to Coventry was not welcomed unilaterally in my household. It's a great stadium, but the price for seeing my team play there is that it takes nearly all of Sunday including travelling, compared with 3 hours previously. But I'd rather give up that time and see them thrive, rather that live from hand to mouth as tenants of a football club.

But the sad reality for CCFC fans, despite the frustration, anger, bile (and some bad grammar) on this thread is that the people of Coventry are voting with their feet - around 17,000 average home attendances for Wasps, compared with 7,500 for CCFC (both numbers include freebies).

It was the CCFC owners who caused this situation. Wasps simply took advantage of a good business opportunity. End of.
Welcome to the forum

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Moff

I have no problem with Wasps thriving, but I would be pleased if it was no longer in Coventry.

Hobo

Look I disagree, deal with it and stop banging on to try to prove your point.
Just grasp that the people I know who support Rugby teams don't swap between the Premiership teams, and yes the people who know do.

Oh sorry posters, this is the Moff thread and Moff is always right.

Grendel

Oh sorry posters, this is the Moff thread and Moff is always right.

He is a regular attendee at rugby matches and has been for many years so I trust his judgement

Grendel

I think you are talking out your arse.

dongonzalos

Why waste your breathe on the attention seeking lunatic?

Because he is capable of reasoned debate.
As pointed out before unlike some who are not and so they have resort to childish digs and name calling ect. Think they are more commonly known in the internet world as trolls and wums. Rather perculiar existence, but hey ho each to their own.

fernandopartridge

Because he is capable of reasoned debate.
As pointed out before unlike some who are not and so they have resort to childish digs and name calling ect. Think they are more commonly known in the internet world as trolls and wums. Rather perculiar existence, but hey ho each to their own.
You gave up with me when you got properly shown up to be a liar about that bet. I hope you've got your money ready for that charity when McNulty hits 20.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ccfchoi87

Ha ha ha, voting with their feet. We got 32k for a jpt game and wasps can't fill the stadium when they play in the the European cup. We'll see in 10 years just how well they're doing. Hope the bond scheme does well, other than that good luck finishing 3rd and losing in the play off semi.

mechaishida

1 game, what about the rest?
You've missed the point a bit, there.

The point is, 32k attended a tin pot cup game, and Wasps can't get a full house even with their loftier status and position.

I don't decry rugby fans anything, despite hating rugby myself, and I won't spit venom at Wasps fans who just want to support their team - after all, it was the guys in suits who thought it'd be great to exploit our club and move to Coventry.

Sisu didn't really need help burying CCFC in shit, but Wasps grabbed a shovel and heaped it on anyway.

NortonSkyBlue

Ha ha ha, voting with their feet. We got 32k for a jpt game and wasps can't fill the stadium when they play in the the European cup. We'll see in 10 years just how well they're doing. Hope the bond scheme does well, other than that good luck finishing 3rd and losing in the play off semi.
Get real, our club has gifted Wasps the stadium, the city and we can't fill 25% of the stadium.

CCFC54321

Believe me the financial shit you have wrapped around London Wasps neck for a rugby team is simply not sustainable. You will have to win everything in sight for the next five years to have a chance. You have no chance. You will suffer in the long term and the Coventry people won’t shred a tear.

Out of interest why did your chairman chuck £1.5m into supporting the bond payments? Just asking as my understanding is Wasps are struggling to make the payments. Why did he do that out interest?

Last thing... 17,000 gates? Thousands of freebies thump the number up. Love to see the real average gate.

CCFC54321

Get real, our club has gifted Wasps the stadium, the city and we can't fill 25% of the stadium.

I think it was the council that made the decision but I agree SISU (not CCFC) didn’t help pulling the club out of Coventry. How Tim Fisher still survives to this day...

rondog1973

That Sisu (CCFC), were not in any way responsible for losing the Ricoh to Wasps. They gave the council ample justification for doing so. See Jr's, 1,2 and the subsequent appeals for details.

dongonzalos

I think it was the council that made the decision but I agree SISU (not CCFC) didn’t help pulling the club out of Coventry. How Tim Fisher still survives to this day...

SISU were asked to bid for ACL, otherwise the council and Higgs would have no choice but to sell elsewhere the council said they could no longer be held to ransom and gave a deadline by which time they would move on.
At the time we were in Northampton ACL was losing value by the day.
SISU had actually won, however
they did not believe that the council and Higgs had any other option. So unfortunately they got even greedier. They stated that they had already moved on that they had no interest in buying ACL and they were now building their own stadium. The deadline past.
The rest is history.
SISU screwed up.

dongonzalos

That Sisu (CCFC), were not in any way responsible for losing the Ricoh to Wasps. They gave the council ample justification for doing so. See Jr's, 1,2 and the subsequent appeals for details.

Zack just hates his fellow Cov fans because most of us can see the regality of what actually happened. That we don’t just jump up and down and want to destroy everything Wasps related because they took advantage of what SISU had created.
It’s shit for Cov fans but I am not going to waste my time hating Wasps for what they did.
I wish the council never had to sell to them but only the most staunch people who only ever see anything through sky blue tinted glasses can not understand the logic of why they had to.
A top flight rugby team coming into the area.
It’s seems CRFC are thriving since they arrived (
Higgs Charity and the council get some money back from their original investment as oppose to the way it was heading.
The loan paid off.
CCFC back in the city as they didn’t really have any other choice financially.

The council would have bern accused of a dereliction if duty if they didn’t take this chance. Then ACL folded.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

No, it isn't end of. Wasps took advantage of a vulnerable situation, where a whole fan base of a football club were being held to ransom by their owners, and the council that also should have been trying to fight for them sold them up the river too.

Instead what happened was that they sold off the stadium to another hedge fund who are as morally corrupt as the CCFC owners. In fact, you could argue that they are worse. Imagine if SISU had taken CCFC to another city and done what Wasps have done? Taking over the biggest sports club in the city, making them tenants, and then deliberately tried to recruit disillusioned supporters. The free ticket bonanza that Wasps are driving is targeting the very people that once used to go and watch CCFC.

The whole thing is quite sickening, and I'm equally as mad at the CCFC supporters that will now happily go and watch Wasps more than they do CCFC. It's Stockholm Syndrome if ever I've heard it. In fact, I would argue about 90% of the people who are watching Wasps are morally in the wrong somewhere.

The CCFC owners might be a joke, but Wasps are not clean and it is pathetic that people try to defend them. They are deceitful, untrustworthy snakes and I can honestly say I hope they fail here. If they don't, CCFC will struggle to bounce back. We aren't just a sleeping giant anymore, we have lost supporters due to our owners, but even if they go, Wasps have mopped up the rest who I fear will never return whilst the city is flying gold and black flags...

CCFC54321

No, it isn't end of. Wasps took advantage of a vulnerable situation, where a whole fan base of a football club were being held to ransom by their owners, and the council that also should have been trying to fight for them sold them up the river too.

Instead what happened was that they sold off the stadium to another hedge fund who are as morally corrupt as the CCFC owners. In fact, you could argue that they are worse. Imagine if SISU had taken CCFC to another city and done what Wasps have done? Taking over the biggest sports club in the city, making them tenants, and then deliberately tried to recruit disillusioned supporters. The free ticket bonanza that Wasps are driving is targeting the very people that once used to go and watch CCFC.

The whole thing is quite sickening, and I'm equally as mad at the CCFC supporters that will now happily go and watch Wasps more than they do CCFC. It's Stockholm Syndrome if ever I've heard it. In fact, I would argue about 90% of the people who are watching Wasps are morally in the wrong somewhere.

The CCFC owners might be a joke, but Wasps are not clean and it is pathetic that people try to defend them. They are deceitful, untrustworthy snakes and I can honestly say I hope they fail here. If they don't, CCFC will struggle to bounce back. We aren't just a sleeping giant anymore, we have lost supporters due to our owners, but even if they go, Wasps have mopped up the rest who I fear will never return whilst the city is flying gold and black flags...
99% of the Coventry public agree with every word you just posted.

The other 1% need a cricket bat between there legs as the walk out the Ricoh after watching that wasps shite.

SkyBlueZack

Zack just hates his fellow Cov fans because most of us can see the regality of what actually happened. That we don’t just jump up and down and want to destroy everything Wasps related because they took advantage of what SISU had created.
It’s shit for Cov fans but I am not going to waste my time hating Wasps for what they did.
I wish the council never had to sell to them but only the most staunch people who only ever see anything through sky blue tinted glasses can not understand the logic of why they had to.
A top flight rugby team coming into the area.
It’s seems CRFC are thriving since they arrived (
Higgs Charity and the council get some money back from their original investment as oppose to the way it was heading.
The loan paid off.
CCFC back in the city as they didn’t really have any other choice financially.

The council would have bern accused of a dereliction if duty if they didn’t take this chance. Then ACL folded.

I hate Wasps and think they shouldn't be here, blame more than just SISU for the situation. You translate that to me hating CCFC fans. Fuck off Dongo. You prove time and again that you chat utter rubbish. Still think McNulty is shit? Not the player MR thought he was etc. You can't hate SISU for moving us but then not have a problem with Wasps moving. It's hypocrisy.

SISU didn't bankrupt ACL, ACL bankrupted itself. If the club weren't paying £1.3 million a year it would already be gathering cobwebs. The council only invested £10 million into the build. They then lumped a £21 million debt on ACL whilst only giving it a short lease. So just so we all understand clearly, CCC and Wasps have both lumped debt on the stadium. The thing people were terrified of SISU doing but ok with Wasps doing, more hypocrisy. The problem is, with a short lease and debt, the stadium struggles. With a longer lease and debt, the stadium struggles. The common denominator is the debt, hence SISU wanting rid of the loan as it was a millstone around ACL's neck.

Let's address the Higgs before people start wetting themselves over Wasps donating 50p a ticket sold. The stands behind the posts in rugby are less popular than in football, so there was never going to be masses sat there generating lots of 50p's for the Higgs. Oh and guess where the free tickets are given out? Still worked as a good bit of PR.

CCFC came back as part of Wasps taking over, I have no doubt about that. It was a stitch up. CCC acted out of spite, yet if I'm spiteful towards Wasps it means I hate CCFC fans. You're an idiot.

Skyblueweeman

The simplicity of the matter is that some people who don't decry or belittle Wasps being here, are the same people who were up in arms about CCFC playing temporarily in Northampton.

Yes, it was largely SISUs fault the whole situation happened, yes CCC should've realised that CCFC and CRC would be here longer than SISU and therefore not jeopardise both their futures by selling to Wasps and yes Wasps did take advantage of the whole shit-storm to their advantage, likely not bothered about the consequences of the football club (but maybe the Rugby club a little).

Regardless of who is at fault for the situation, anyone who had a go (rightly) at SISU for instigating the move to Northampton, should be annoyed at Wasps being here. I find it incredulous that some posters on here are happy to 'get over' the whole Wasps situation as it was SISUs fault but moaned like anything when we went to Northampton.

Double standards much??

italiahorse

The simplicity of the matter is that some people who don't decry or belittle Wasps being here, are the same people who were up in arms about CCFC playing temporarily in Northampton.

Yes, it was largely SISUs fault the whole situation happened, yes CCC should've realised that CCFC and CRC would be here longer than SISU and therefore not jeopardise both their futures by selling to Wasps and yes Wasps did take advantage of the whole shit-storm to their advantage, likely not bothered about the consequences of the football club (but maybe the Rugby club a little).

Regardless of who is at fault for the situation, anyone who had a go (rightly) at SISU for instigating the move to Northampton, should be annoyed at Wasps being here. I find it incredulous that some posters on here are happy to 'get over' the whole Wasps situation as it was SISUs fault but moaned like anything when we went to Northampton.

Double standards much??

Its all about football surely?
Are Wasps responsible for us going through the motions in Division 2 ?

italiahorse

I think you've missed the whole point of my post....

..... and the point I am making is it's all about football and how supporting Wasps changes things.
You can keep bringing up your opinion on what has happened but you fail to mention where we would be if Wasps were not here.
??

Ashdown

There is a lot of 'side taking' again here.....................surely everyone can see that multiple organisations are to blame here. SISU are chief protagonists in our downfall without doubt but there were also some very grey areas with the councils loyalty to its historic football and existing rugby teams. Then there was another bunch of opportunistic hedge fund sharks looking for something on the cheap............................and all that was preceded by negligent and reckless owners from the early mid 90's to 2007 ! A whole load of disreputable types have had their grubby fingers in the pie !

Irish Sky Blue

Surely the whole purpose of a professional sports team is to play, entertain and be a part of the community that fostered it? If, as you say, Wasps were floundering in Wycombe then they should surely have cut their cloth accordingly ( something that CCFC have had to do over the past few years), and stayed in the south east.
You might still be coming to the Ricoh but I wonder how many of the 5K who regularly went to Adams Park still make the trek? A diminishing number I would think, likely to diminish further if Wasps start to fail. Both City and Cov have roots in the City going back nearly 150 years. They were institutions started by Coventry people for Coventry people. Wasps roots I would imagine are firmly in London and the south east. That is their community, or should be. Wasps move here has been hughly detrimental to the football club’s future, something the council claimed would not happen. Your clubs move here has threatened the very future of our football club. It isn’t surprising that City fans are angry and frustrated.Your move was a franchise move every bit as bad as Wimbledon’s move to MK. In many ways it is worse as there are too victims; fans of Wasps who can’t or won’t do what you do and CCFC and it’s fans who have had any hope for the future taken away. Wasps were moved on the whim of a businessman for financial reasons. I hope they fail here, not out of spite as it will give the football club a chance to have the stadium built for it given back to it and also allow Wasps to return to their genuine fans and roots in the south east. Only when this happens will this wrong be righted.

Skyblueweeman

..... and the point I am making is it's all about football and how supporting Wasps changes things.
You can keep bringing up your opinion on what has happened but you fail to mention where we would be if Wasps were not here.
??

But why quote my post and then comment on something else?

It's like you posting - 'We were great away at Luton but not sure if we'll still make the autos' and me responding with 'yeah, but the weathers not been great, has it?'

NortonSkyBlue

Surely the whole purpose of a professional sports team is to play, entertain and be a part of the community that fostered it? If, as you say, Wasps were floundering in Wycombe then they should surely have cut their cloth accordingly ( something that CCFC have had to do over the past few years), and stayed in the south east.
You might still be coming to the Ricoh but I wonder how many of the 5K who regularly went to Adams Park still make the trek? A diminishing number I would think, likely to diminish further if Wasps start to fail. Both City and Cov have roots in the City going back nearly 150 years. They were institutions started by Coventry people for Coventry people. Wasps roots I would imagine are firmly in London and the south east. That is their community, or should be. Wasps move here has been hughly detrimental to the football club’s future, something the council claimed would not happen. Your clubs move here has threatened the very future of our football club. It isn’t surprising that City fans are angry and frustrated.Your move was a franchise move every bit as bad as Wimbledon’s move to MK. In many ways it is worse as there are too victims; fans of Wasps who can’t or won’t do what you do and CCFC and it’s fans who have had any hope for the future taken away. Wasps were moved on the whim of a businessman for financial reasons. I hope they fail here, not out of spite as it will give the football club a chance to have the stadium built for it given back to it and also allow Wasps to return to their genuine fans and roots in the south east. Only when this happens will this wrong be righted.
You and others are right but surely it's about where we are now rather than how we got here?
I am not going to waste energy hating Wasps and wishing they would be elsewhere as it is not going to happen.
We need to look forward to how we can get the club back to its rightful place. Brighton went through its own hell and are now in the top tier, we should use them as our template.
With or without Wasps, Sisu or a new owner the club needs its fanbase to move beyond NOPM.

Woz01

Coventry is big enough for all the sports clubs, look at similar sized towns and Citys. If CCFC fail it isn't because of Wasps or any other new sporting club that start in the city. To be perfectly honest even if Wasps didn't come here I think we would be in exactly the same position with not stadium of our own. Sisu have zero intention of solving that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread