Southampton pubs (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

Where is everyone going?

Spaceman

Off to the "Guide Dog" , Community pub with 11 handpulls..That will do nicely

If you're going there I'd recommend also visiting the South Western Arms and the Dolphin about a 5-10min walk from there next to St Deny's railway station. Remember there is a walkway along the Itchen river from Horseshoe Bridge that will take you to Northam Bridge, not far from the stadium.

03_SU4213_42981344_08.JPG

Also there's the Bookshop Alehouse and of course the Hobbit! :) which has just been refurbished. The Hobbit is a pretty good night out too, then there's the Rockstone and the Shooting Star. All good pubs if you like real ale.

Then if you're up really late and need something to eat head to Manzil's, many times I've had a curry there at about 4am in the morning lol.

You could also go to Portswood around the corner :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Spaceman

Another tip is if you're staying toward the sea, you could always go to Ocean Village for a drink before the match. It's really not that far from there to the stadium. It's about a ten minute walk, just use Google to tell you where to go but it's pretty much a straight line once you get past the Itchen Bridge roundabout.

Do be aware though that pubs in Ocean Village and Oxford Street are pricey (Wetherspoon's not included).

You could also visit pubs in the Old Town and the High Street, especially the Dancing Man microbrewery.

Pubs round there are:

The Juniper Berry (Ei taverns)
The Duke of Wellington (Wadworth)
Dancing Man (microbrewery)
The Titanic (haven't been for years, not sure what it's like now or who owns it)
The Red Lion (One of the oldest pubs in Southampton)
Platform Tavern (if you have time, owned by Dancing Man above)
Crammed Inn (micropub, decent ales)

Then there's the Oxford Street pubs like the White Star and the Grapes (famous pub where I think those guys were playing cars before they got on the TItanic) but Oxford Street pubs are pretty pricey, expect to pay about £5/pint there.

zyden472tm371.jpg

Dancing Man Brewery.

Last edited:

Spaceman

You're not going to have had one at 4am in the afternoon though are you mate

There's nowhere else in Southampton you'd be able to sit down in a restaurant and have a curry at that time in the morning. IIRC I was eating in there at 5am once. There's two of them on Onslow Road.

Spaceman

As for pubs nearer the stadium, I would avoid the Kingsland Tavern.

The Angel however is under new management and the landlord Huw has done a fantastic job of transforming the place, making it a lot more welcoming so is worth a visit.

There's no bad blood between Coventry and Southampton so you'll likely be okay, even if you visit the Chapel Arms on the way back from Ocean Village I expect.

A lot of people just drink in Yates, O'Neil's etc (which is pretty good) on Above Bar and just walk down. Nothing wrong with that.

Also if you do end up in Manzils, I think he does a good deal if you're a student and have an ID.

If you want a good night out I would head to Bedford Place and London Road. There's also the Frog and Frigate on Canute Road (which is a completely crazy place, nothing quite like it).

Sadly a lot of late night venues have closed down. There are nightclubs in Bedford Place if you like cheesy music lol. Although the Orange Rooms and Buddha Lounge are quite nice. Be careful around Trinity Nightclub on London Road, when it was called Junk they had a lot of problems. Suburbia on Onslow Road is a bit better.

Last edited:

Knotty99

Another tip is if you're staying toward the sea, you could always go to Ocean Village for a drink before the match. It's really not that far from there to the stadium. It's about a ten minute walk, just use Google to tell you where to go but it's pretty much a straight line once you get past the Itchen Bridge roundabout.

Do be aware though that pubs in Ocean Village and Oxford Street are pricey (Wetherspoon's not included).

You could also visit pubs in the Old Town and the High Street, especially the Dancing Man microbrewery.

Pubs round there are:

The Juniper Berry (Ei taverns)
The Duke of Wellington (Wadworth)
Dancing Man (micropub)
The Titanic (haven't been for years, not sure what it's like now or who owns it)
The Red Lion (One of the oldest pubs in Southampton)
Platform Tavern (if you have time, owned by Dancing Man above)
Crammed Inn (micropub, decent ales)

Then there's the Oxford Street pubs like the White Star and the Grapes (famous pub where I think those guys were playing cars before they got on the TItanic) but Oxford Street pubs are pretty pricey, expect to pay about £5/pint there.

zyden472tm371.jpg

Dancing Man Brewery.
Dancing Man Brewery is great!

Spaceman

Dancing Man Brewery is great!

Yeah it's a great place, just as long as the upstairs is open. Might get a bit packed.

And apologies I meant to put microbrewery not micropub, it's a fairly big place.

One last thing, if you do decide to head off to Bevois Valley (the Hobbit, Guide Dog etc) don't be tempted to take a shortcut across Nicholstown/Newtown (Empress Rd etc), it's a bit of a dodgy area, although that said I walk through it at night sometimes and live on the edge of it.

And if you're really hungry, stuff your face for £17.99 in the Cosmo all you can eat lol. Great place.

Last edited:
Reactions: vow

steveo1987

If you're going there I'd recommend also visiting the South Western Arms and the Dolphin about a 5-10min walk from there next to St Deny's railway station. Remember there is a walkway along the Itchen river from Horseshoe Bridge that will take you to Northam Bridge, not far from the stadium.

03_SU4213_42981344_08.JPG

Also there's the Bookshop Alehouse and of course the Hobbit! :) which has just been refurbished. The Hobbit is a pretty good night out too, then there's the Rockstone and the Shooting Star. All good pubs if you like real ale.

Then if you're up really late and need something to eat head to Manzil's, many times I've had a curry there at about 4am in the morning lol.

You could also go to Portswood around the corner :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the info,much appreciated

Skyblueweeman

I'll be having a beer in the Harbour Hotel, about 10 mins walk from St Mary's. Has a great bar on the top floor with great views.

Sky Blue Harry H

Reminds me of a last minute decision to jump in the car and watch us play at The Dell. a few years back, and getting in lane to head to a previous 'City' pub, and the then Moroccan Southampton player Hassan Kachloul was sat parallel to me in his flash car on the way to the ground (must have been the Chippo/Hadji era). He looked sideways at me, and I just gave him a thumbs up, having recognised him (and thinking the w&nker sign a bit childish for a 'grown up') He smiled - I thought, 'decent bloke' End of boring story!

JAM See

Reminds me of a last minute decision to jump in the car and watch us play at The Dell. a few years back, and getting in lane to head to a previous 'City' pub, and the then Moroccan Southampton player Hassan Kachloul was sat parallel to me in his flash car on the way to the ground (must have been the Chippo/Hadji era). He looked sideways at me, and I just gave him a thumbs up, having recognised him (and thinking the w&nker sign a bit childish for a 'grown up') He smiled - I thought, 'decent bloke' End of boring story!
Not very fond memories of The Dell.

Remember going there in the 80's and having a good drink. Think I ate too.

Skyblueweeman

Was in the Saints end for one of our trips to the Dell as I could only get a ticket from a Saints ST holder who couldn't make it.

Remember Carlton Palmer getting dogs abuse from their fans when defending corners. Can't recall why but it wasn't racist.

richnrg

Was in the Saints end for one of our trips to the Dell as I could only get a ticket from a Saints ST holder who couldn't make it.

Remember Carlton Palmer getting dogs abuse from their fans when defending corners. Can't recall why but it wasn't racist.
maybe it was just because he was shit?

• Wow
Reactions: vow

Users who are viewing this thread