Some more nostalgia (1 Viewer)

Astute

I remember that 4-0 win against Liverpool well. Mainly for the discussion before the game. Was hoping not to get hammered by 5 or more goals. Liverpool had a great team them days. We were doing our usual :D Was what being a CCFC supporter was all about. You went to games hoping to get a draw or at least not get beat too badly. Then to beat one of the best teams every so often made it all worthwhile. Didn't matter if we kept stopping shots on the line and played with 7 defenders. A win was a win.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Happy days and still brings a big smile to my face ....... and Liverpool couldnt claim to have a weak team that day

Was blissfully unaware of the club finances and CCFC meant just one thing ...... football

Oh for a Terry Gibson now ....... current players please take note only a wee man at 5ft 5 but didnt mind getting in where it hurt, didnt get pushed over easily

good post GSS :claping hands::claping hands:

wingy

four things,was there superb memories oh for a Daly or Bennet,no orange response team,lots of Tom Sellick type moustaches in the crowd ,used to have one,and was'nt Grobelaar involved in a betting ring,just joking

skybluelee

This was the game that started my Sky Blue obsession. It was a clever ploy on my dad's part in encouraging me to watch the highlights on MOTD (Sunday afternoon's back then). He asked me who I thought would win (obviously already knowing the score). Me being 7 years old thought the game was live and told him Liverpool would hammer Coventry because they were rubbish. I watched mesmerised as Gibson ran riot. I was hooked from that moment. I can picture now my dads contented smile now and he was clearly thinking "my work here is done."

I'll never forgive him, the bastard.

Thanks Lee, That gives me a good idea how to get my daughter hooked in a couple of years. We will be in league 1 and we will beat someone like QPR in the cup. I can see it now.

ashbyjan

Saddens me to say I was 20 and at this game! Reminds me just what a good player Gerry Daly was - must confess I often forget about him when thinking about top midfielders but he definitely was one. That was a really patched up Gouldy side.

This was the game that started my Sky Blue obsession. It was a clever ploy on my dad's part in encouraging me to watch the highlights on MOTD (Sunday afternoon's back then). He asked me who I thought would win (obviously already knowing the score). Me being 7 years old thought the game was live and told him Liverpool would hammer Coventry because they were rubbish. I watched mesmerised as Gibson ran riot. I was hooked from that moment. I can picture now my dads contented smile now and he was clearly thinking "my work here is done."

I'll never forgive him, the bastard.

:thinking about: interesting, never knew that!

great little tale :claping hands:

covkid69

i remember that game well.
my daughter was only 2 days old and i was listening to the game on hospital radio.
nearly dropped her when gibbo got his third goal:claping hands::claping hands:

Sky_Blue_Daz

My Dad insits he had the best of times as A Coventry Fan, he moved to Coventry in 1959 and was a regular throughout the next 40 years. He also Blames Derek Robbins for not giving Hill a 10 year Contact and is adament that we would have been a football club with an amazing trophy laden legacy had that happened.

skybluesteve76

That five one was one of the best performances, games and atmospheres I've ever experienced! I was 16 just left school, fantastic memories. A week later we beat villa at highfield road aswell with quinny scoring again. Awesome days!

My Dad insits he had the best of times as A Coventry Fan, he moved to Coventry in 1959 and was a regular throughout the next 40 years. He also Blames Derek Robbins for not giving Hill a 10 year Contact and is adament that we would have been a football club with an amazing trophy laden legacy had that happened.

Yes I remember seeing Hill say he had wanted a 10 year contract in a documentary some years back. Seems crazy to me. Can you imagine anyone in football asking for a 10 year contract now? Manager's are lucky if they aren't sacked within a year!

Moff

Went to both those games, happy, happy days. How I miss Highfield Road.

The 4-0 was the first year of Bobby Goulds reign, after the exodus of players at the end of the previous season, and it was good to see several of our cup winning players in their first season at the club.

I was very young and impressionable that season and thought such wins would be the future for our club.

How wrong I was, and it hasnt affected me at all,
cue manic laughter hahahahhahahahhahahahahahaha

TommyAtkins

Bobby Gould seemed to have the ability to inspire players to perform above their worth but only for a few games per season.

That Liverpool team was the then equivalent of Man Utd today, so it was an astonishing result.

Although we seemed to be on the wrong end of a higher number of thrashings in return from Liverpool. I seem to recall losing 6-1 at home to the Reds on the last day of the season, when Sillett was the Sky Blues' manager.

Sillett, after the game, strolled happily onto the pitch to wave at the Liverpool fans and was greeted by "There's only one John Sillett" is response from the away fans

Popular chap!

I seem to recall losing 6-1 at home to the Reds on the last day of the season, when Sillett was the Sky Blues' manager.

Sillett, after the game, strolled happily onto the pitch to wave at the Liverpool fans and was greeted by "There's only one John Sillett" in response from the away fans.

suspicious behaviour... :D

skybluesam66

worse one against Liverpool was when Grobbelaar was under suspicion for throwing the match to us

The strange thing was Liverpool still won something like 3-0

Users who are viewing this thread