Shops that are gone (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Folk need to read through posts. Most of the recent post about shops have all been mentioned.

Houchens Head

Mattersons. My Mum worked there for a while. There used to be a plough on the top of the building. It may still be there.
Plough has been replaced by an old car for the motor museum.

Hales St 2.jpg

Houchens Head

Not quite a shop, but who remembers the Alpine pop lorry coming round? Alpine Pop Lorry.jpg

Gazolba

Not quite a shop, but who remembers the Alpine pop lorry coming round?View attachment 5773
We used to drink Lants pop. I think we had it delivered at one time.
Does anyone remember the grocery buses? They were old buses (single decker) converted into mobile supermarkets. They came around our street for a while. They had a large window in the side where you could see and buy the items you wanted. That must have been the late 1950's or early 1960's.
I did an internet search and only came up with this from another town. Fascinating though:
http://www.hertsmemories.org.uk/con...rking-on-the-mobile-grocery-shop-in-the-1950s

Last edited:

dutchman

What was that store 'Spicers' you can see in the background under the bridge.

H.H. Spicer was an electrical retailer, mostly TV and radio. They had several stores around the city including one on the corner of Far Gosford Street and Binley Road and this temporary showroom at the bottom of Hertford Street. They were eventually taken over by Gibbs.
TuCAFN2.jpg

Malaka

H.H. Spicer was an electrical retailer, mostly TV and radio. They had several stores around the city including one on the corner of Far Gosford Street and Binley Road and this temporary showroom at the bottom of Hertford Street. They were eventually taken over by Gibbs.
TuCAFN2.jpg

Is that the bottom end where Lickety Licks used to be or the top end by Lloyds Bank?

Houchens Head

We used to drink Lants pop. I think we had it delivered at one time.
Does anyone remember the grocery buses? They were old buses (single decker) converted into mobile supermarkets. They came around our street for a while. They had a large window in the side where you could see and buy the items you wanted. That must have been the late 1950's or early 1960's.
I did an internet search and only came up with this from another town. Fascinating though:
http://www.hertsmemories.org.uk/con...rking-on-the-mobile-grocery-shop-in-the-1950s

I remember Lants pop. I also seem to recall the old grocery bus. Something in the back of my mind......

Gaz71

Until I eventually found out Philips was a multinational company from the Netherlands, I grew up thinking the shop in Hillfields was the company HQ.

Yes I thought it was strange that they sponsored Man City and PSV and not Coventry

Ranjit Bhurpa

we also had beer at home "Davenports" similar to the pop delivery
Didn't have the home delivery but I can remember that third rate TV advert from years ago " beer at home means davenports, thats the beer, full of cheer"......ending up some silly old twat saying "Cheers". Christ I can't get the bloody tune out of my head now.

RedSalmon

Didn't have the home delivery but I can remember that third rate TV advert from years ago " beer at home means davenports, thats the beer, full of cheer"......ending up some silly old twat saying "Cheers". Christ I can't get the bloody tune out of my head now.

Remeber it well. My Granny used to have a crate of Davenports every week. Still got one of the pld wooden crates in the shed.

Reckon the old bloke who used to say "cheers" at the end of the advert was Mr Davenport himself............well according to my Granny it was!!

Ranjit Bhurpa

Remeber it well. My Granny used to have a crate of Davenports every week. Still got one of the pld wooden crates in the shed.

Reckon the old bloke who used to say "cheers" at the end of the advert was Mr Davenport himself............well according to my Granny it was!!
Lol, the advert always came on during Star Soccer on Sunday afty's. The old bloke reminded me of Stanley Unwin. Could well have been Mr Davenport, certainly don't think he acted for a living

RedSalmon

Lol, the advert always came on during Star Soccer on Sunday afty's. The old bloke reminded me of Stanley Unwin. Could well have been Mr Davenport, certainly don't think he acted for a living

Even remeber that as he sung the song the words appeared on the screen with a little pointer to the words so you could sing along.

"Beer at home means Davenports!!"

Ranjit Bhurpa

They used to have their own pubs as well. The Attleborough Arms in Nuneaton and the Market Tavern in Bedworth were both Davenports pubs.
Never made it to Nuneaton or Bedworth on the lash i'm afraid. Once got as far as the Black Bank in Exhall as a young lad with my grandad.
Very partial though to a well kept pint of Bass.

Users who are viewing this thread