Season Tickets!!! (8 Viewers)

bigfatronssba

I know it didn't last but surely we had more ST holders for the 1987/88 season than the 12,500 quoted as being the largest sometime in the late 1960's?
Attendances were great in the 87-88 season 17.5k, with the biggest crowd of the season being over 27k (which was pretty much all HR could hold by then)

Keep in mind this was an era when the likes of Arsenal couldn't even get above 30k

1988.JPG

Grendel

Attendances were great in the 87-88 season 17.5k, with the biggest crowd of the season being over 27k (which was pretty much all HR could hold by then)

Keep in mind this was an era when the likes of Arsenal couldn't even get above 30k

View attachment 30206
we sold season tickets to ensure an F A Cup ticket

Flying Fokker

We did, but a lot were very cheap kids tickets my 8 year old grandson was £20 it’s now £125, still decent.
I guess the kids are hooked by now? £125 is probably food value. It gets the kids out, pulls them away from the latest gadgets etc and is a great family thing to do.

theferret

First game of the 87/88 season arsenal got 55,000

Yeah, it's on the graphic posted. They got crowds of below 17K also. He was talking about the season average which was 29K.

Crowds generally pretty woeful back then. Wolves averaged 4K for a season around that time with gates at Molineux of around 2500 on occasion.

Even in the 90s, I was at Chelsea for a Premier League game in 1993 and the crowd was 8000.

ovduk78

Crowds generally pretty woeful back then. Wolves averaged 4K for a season around that time with gates at Molineux of around 2500 on occasion.
Weren't Wolves crowds low because they had an issue with a couple of stands & couldn't use them? I remember they played a game and the manager at the time, Graham Turner, was the only person in 1 of the stands.

robbiethemole

Horses mouth confirmation family zone won’t be extended
Finally had a reply to my email today, after I sent it last Monday! What I still don’t understand is why the system wouldn’t let me buy the tickets in the basket last Tuesday, I’ve been buying online for more than 10 years for our network. It gave all these new feckers the chance over me?
We now have to decide to if we’re renewing in block 28 and whether it’s worth taking the kids at that price, two six yr olds who usually look at iPads most of the game.

oscillatewildly

Weren't Wolves crowds low because they had an issue with a couple of stands & couldn't use them? I remember they played a game and the manager at the time, Graham Turner, was the only person in 1 of the stands.
Their crowds were low because they were in Division 4.

Legia Sky Blue

we sold season tickets to ensure an F A Cup ticket

Not saying you are definitely wrong as it was a long time ago now but I don't remember it like that. As I remember, sales priority to those that were not existing season ticket holders were based mostly on ticket stubs and not on future season ticket sales, as I'm sure they would have shifted a lot more season tickets in 87/88 otherwise. In the end the sale of tickets for the cup final was absolutely chaotic, much more so than for this years play offs for example.

As a club we have also never really had a great season ticket uptake in relation to clubs traditionally compared as having similar standing to us, so it is great to see ever greater numbers committing to supporting the club in this way.

Hertsccfc

Not saying you are definitely wrong as it was a long time ago now but I don't remember it like that. As I remember, sales priority to those that were not existing season ticket holders were based mostly on ticket stubs and not on future season ticket sales, as I'm sure they would have shifted a lot more season tickets in 87/88 otherwise. In the end the sale of tickets for the cup final was absolutely chaotic, much more so than for this years play offs for example.

As a club we have also never really had a great season ticket uptake in relation to clubs traditionally compared as having similar standing to us, so it is great to see ever greater numbers committing to supporting the club in this way.
He's right. They did sell season tickets for the next season to guarantee a Cup Final ticket.

Covkid1968#

He's right. They did sell season tickets for the next season to guarantee a Cup Final ticket.
Yep… first year I had one. Bought it to guarantee the cup ticket.

rob9872

Yep… first year I had one. Bought it to guarantee the cup ticket.
It was a season ticket that not only guaranteed a cup final ticket but also included the last 3 home games of the 86/87 season.

Robinshio

I was a student in manchester back late 80s and you could easily decide at 2.30 to go to a Man U game, get in for £2.80 on the terraces, and the ground would be at best 3/4 full
Was about the cost of 4 pints in comparison at cheap pub prices so probably around the equivalent of £15 today

ovduk78

Their crowds were low because they were in Division 4.

Taken from football whispers website.....

With debts starting to mount, due to the brothers having difficulty servicing the debt for the newly developed stand, the following season meant the situation became even worse, with no money whatsoever available for players who might just have been able to turn things around.

With former chief scout Sammy Chapman now in charge, Wolves's performances showed no sign of improving. They conceded seventeen goalsin the month of September alone and crowds fell to just 4,000. Worse still, following ground safety regulations that were introduced following the Valley Parade fire of May 1985, two old stands were now closed to the public with a third on the brink of collapse.

With only two sides of the ground open to the public and the new £3 million John Ireland Stand sticking out like a sore thumb, the club and its stadium were a mess as the inevitable happened. Wolves were relegated yet again, this time into Division Four of the Football League for the first time in the club’s history.

Understandably, discontent grew quickly among the club’s exasperated support, and even filtered down to members of satff and ex-players. Former manager Bill McGarry returned to Molineux in September 1985 to try and turn things around but quit just two months later, saying, “I am not going to be party to the killing of one of the finest clubs in the world.” Things had become so bad that supporters and local community leaders decided if the club was to be saved then urgent action needed to be taken.

Then came a turning point. A meeting was held at the Wolverhampton Civic Centre in 1986 and it was decided that the best way forward would be to encourage creditors to issue the club’s owners with a winding-up order, therefore forcing them to put it up for sale.

The words of the Mayor at the time, George Howells, described perfectly the precarious position the club now found itself in: “If the Bhattis could see Wolves off and develop that sacred piece of turf at Molineux for their own interests, they would do it.”

So on July 1986, with the club once again facing extinction, the very same authorities, who just months earlier looked to be behind the demise of Wolverhampton Wanderers, would eventually come to its rescue with a last-ditch proposal that would for the second time see the club hauled back from the brink.

It was agreed that Wolverhampton Council would purchase Molineux along with the land around the stadium, while a local property developer would pay off the club’s debts if planning permission was granted for a nearby Asda superstore to be built – a deal was struck and the club had been saved.

To the relief of Wolves supporters, the arrangement also meant that the Bhatti brothers’ era had finally came to an end after four long years with the pair disappearing back to Saudi Arabia. Even so, the club was still hanging by a thread and playing in a decaying stadium with three stands literally in ruins.

On the pitch Wolves were finally able to begin the long climb away from the basement of English football and even made the playoffs in 1987 after their first season in the league's lowest tier, eventually losing to Aldershot.

The following season Graham Turner's rejuvenated team regrouped to win Division Four and the Sherpa Van Trophy. It was just the boost the club needed and, powered by the strike force of Steve Bull and Andy Much, the Division Three championship followed just 12 months later as the consecutive relegations of the 1980s were matched by consecutive promotions in the 1990s.

Legia Sky Blue

It was a season ticket that not only guaranteed a cup final ticket but also included the last 3 home games of the 86/87 season.

Sounds like I was wrong then. Am slightly surprised we didn't sell more knowing how desperate people were for a cup final ticket though. There were plenty that would have ended up paying the equivalent of what a season ticket cost in those days just for their cup final ticket!

Grendel

So they need to get Doug back on the radio and asked him why he said it then? If things changed then why not communicate it?

Wasn’t that said when it was the initial pricing?

Balli001

So they need to get Doug back on the radio and asked him why he said it then? If things changed then why not communicate it?
The obvious explanation is because he didnt expect so many people to take up the offer. Now he isnt going to sell more cheap tickets in standard zones is he? Fans cant all expect to get cheap prices and then cry because the squad isnt getting strengthened.

Hertsccfc

I got one too. The Cup final season was the first season I hadn't had a season ticket as I had just moved to London and thought I might not go so often. As it happened I only missed one match all season.

Seemed strange they didn't do this for the play off.

mark82

The obvious explanation is because he didnt expect so many people to take up the offer. Now he isnt going to sell more cheap tickets in standard zones is he? Fans cant all expect to get cheap prices and then cry because the squad isnt getting strengthened.
Why say it then? He seemed willing at the time to make that whole stand family zone. They can't do that now, but there is a corner where they could create a second family area.

Nick

Administrator
It's not about price, it's about communication.

He should have said there's xxxx available, get yours now.

Last he had said is that he's willing to throw loads of seats at the family zone to make it the place to be.

He's gone quiet since he used the hype to stroke his ego in that video.

robbiethemole

It's not about price, it's about communication.

He should have said there's xxxx available, get yours now.

Last he had said is that he's willing to throw loads of seats at the family zone to make it the place to be.

He's gone quiet since he used the hype to stroke his ego in that video.
Exactly that Nick, never said first come, first served. I couldn’t have got on any quicker than Tuesday morning, fully expecting they would go into block 30 if needed ( it obviously is).

robbiethemole

To my way of thinking, they should have saved those prices for people with purchase history first, then sold to new people. Where is the loyalty to existing s/t holders who wanted to move?

Grendel

Where has anything been said otherwise since?

Well he revised the pricing having taken fans feedback so the initial statement referenced original strategy

Users who are viewing this thread