Rugby World Cup not at the Ricoh (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

No idea, don't usually take much notice when I see the word 'rugby' I just assumed this was new news. Good old Telegraph.

The chinless twat quoted in the article mentions 'celebrating Coventry's rich rugby history' or something but then mentions some team called Wasps playing a friendly. Presumably history only stretches back 8 months.

Nick

Administrator
Not too sure what the point of that article is. It has some estimated figure from a flight comparison website (random) and then goes on to have a bit of a Wasps love in at the bottom.

ccfcway

cov lost to Birmingham for a woldwide event that would have bough income into the area and be as much of a success as the Olympic football was, yet its worth it to laugh at wasps ?

I for one would have more than welcomed this event in Coventry and would have enjoyed going or watching the city of Coventry host a worldwide event on television.

hill83

cov lost to Birmingham for a woldwide event that would have bough income into the area and be as much of a success as the Olympic football was, yet its worth it to laugh at wasps ?

I for one would have more than welcomed this event in Coventry and would have enjoyed going or watching the city of Coventry host a worldwide event on television.

Yep. Totally worth it. Good for the abs too laughing is.

Nick

Administrator
I bet he is sat there wearing his Rockports, Spliffy Jeans and Naf Naf Jacket thinking about his night out in Ikon tonight! :)

chiefdave

These kind of reports always make me laugh. The spend per person would need to be over £150 and then you have to debate how much of that will stay in the local area. Aside from the zero hour contract staff, most likely on minimum wage I can't see much of the spend staying local.

I always like Coventry to have profile events however the only slight chance we have of ever getting an ownership stake in the Ricoh is if Wasps fail so a story like this could be seen as good news from that view point.

fernandopartridge

These kind of reports always make me laugh. The spend per person would need to be over £150 and then you have to debate how much of that will stay in the local area. Aside from the zero hour contract staff, most likely on minimum wage I can't see much of the spend staying local.

I always like Coventry to have profile events however the only slight chance we have of ever getting an ownership stake in the Ricoh is if Wasps fail so a story like this could be seen as good news from that view point.

Indeed, the estimated benefit is only partly linked to the local area. They mention travel which might mean international airlines, hardly of benefit to Coventry.

Nick

Administrator
Indeed, the estimated benefit is only partly linked to the local area. They mention travel which might mean international airlines, hardly of benefit to Coventry.

Being a flight comparison website, I'd guess their estimation could be aimed at the flight side of it.

Steve.B50

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/ricoh-arenas-rugby-world-cup-9894349

The Ricoh has lost out on getting rugby World Cup games to villa park. Bad for the economy of Coventry but worth it to laugh at wasps. Ha ha

The WC games and grounds were decided well before the Wasps got involved, plus you will find that Villa Park kicked off when we go the Olympics so I suppose its the higher authorities sharing things around.

On a positive the Wasps must be talking to the Football people as we have an under 21 game at the Ricoh.

I like your spin Simon, Coventry was never going to win something that was already a done deal for Birmingham. Believe me I know. We only got the Olympics because Vile pulled out and LOCOG needed a stadium in the Midlands

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
I like your spin Simon, Coventry was never going to win something that was already a done deal for Birmingham. Believe me I know. We only got the Olympics because Vile pulled out and LOCOG needed a stadium in the Midlands

The Olympic football opportunity only came about because Villa pulled out, this is true. But it was hardly a forgone conclusion. The Ricoh had to beat a lot of competition to host the matches. A lot of effort went in behind the scenes.

I was leading on the PR for the Coventry and Warwickshire 2012 Partnership at the time, one of the organisations leading on the bid. It was a lot of fun, but hard work.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

So we wait hoping that somebody fails and hope to pick it up on the cheap instead of putting a bid in,now where have I heard something like this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked on that bid too and the RWC bid. All I can say is that B'ham were always going to get the RWC, although if Wasps had owned the stadium in 2013 when the decision was made them we would have had a much better chance.

hill83

You didn't actually read the article then? The new news is the new research about economic benefits...

Yep I read it. Hence mentioning the economy in my opening post. Plus there was no mention when the decision was made in the article.

You'll never guess what my next comment will be, click here to find out!!!!

Last edited:

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
Are we going to have Paddy Power providing research on brain surgery soon? :)

If they can exhibit an expertise in the profession, like a travel company providing estimated tourism figures, then I might consider using it.

There would also have to be a Coventry / Warwickshire connection of course.

ccfcway

If they can exhibit an expertise in the profession, like a travel company providing estimated tourism figures, then I might consider using it.

There would also have to be a Coventry / Warwickshire connection of course.

and a wasps love in !!

Hobo

So we wait hoping that somebody fails and hope to pick it up on the cheap instead of putting a bid in,now where have I heard something like this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picking up the pieces is good business practice. In order to do this you have to be in the bidding in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread