Rubbish midfield since relegation from Premiership (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

I was thinking about our midfield ever since we got relegated to the Championship has always been poor.

I don't think we have ever had a decent 4 in midfield playing at the same time.

Has always been our biggest weakness.

kg82

What about the partnership of Hughes and Doyle? Who could forget Vicente Engonga? :) (just to name a few). Actually, you have a point :)

And didn't we have the mighty Lee Sawyer for a little bit?

CJparker

Didn't realise that Doyle played nearly 300 games for us...says it all

AFCCOVENTRY

I think we had some good individual players now and then.... Wise, Hutchinson etc...

Pace on the wings has always been a problem.

I remember the Richie Partridge season... wow that was exciting... i think that was the last semi-exciting winger we had... how bad it that! :facepalm:

Nonleagueherewecome

What about the partnership of Hughes and Doyle? Who could forget Vicente Engonga? :) (just to name a few). Actually, you have a point :)

I know, but it's worth reminding people: both won City Player of the Year in their time at the club. So, they did something right...

Sisu_Cockroaches

I know, but it's worth reminding people: both won City Player of the Year in their time at the club. So, they did something right...

Did they? its not really difficult to win city player of the year is it. What national recognition did they get?

They were awful and the poster is 100% correct in saying that we haven't had a good midfield since relegation. End of.

Nonleagueherewecome

Did they? its not really difficult to win city player of the year is it. What national recognition did they get?

They were awful and the poster is 100% correct in saying that we haven't had a good midfield since relegation. End of.

Maybe in your Stalinist world, but the rest of us will have a debate, thanks.

Marty

The first year Stephen Hughes was here, he was brilliant and carried that team, he was shite once he got his 3 year contract. Doyle was a donkey and a chicken, but to think hes actually one of the better players is actually bafferling, Just shows how far we've dropped.

Nonleagueherewecome

The first year Stephen Hughes was here, he was brilliant and carried that team, he was shite once he got his 3 year contract. Doyle was a donkey and a chicken, but to think hes actually one of the better players is actually bafferling, Just shows how far we've dropped.

Totally agreed that the pay-cheque killed Hughes' desire, he wasn't interested after that. Much worse than Sideways Sammy for negative, "safe" passes!

With Doyle, he had a good season under Adams when we had our highest finish since relegation. Unless I'm mistaken, didn't that in turn earn him his massive wages when Birmingham were interested?

TheHellion

Bjarni Gudjonsson was very similar to Hughes if I recall. Bjarni was awesome when he first arrived in the 03/04 season, then had an absolute shocker in 04/05 (which led to him being released). Once he'd got a proper contract sorted out, he just didn't seem the same player.

The one thing I'll always remember most about Stephen Hughes, though, will always be his stint in goal against Stoke.......

Marty

Totally agreed that the pay-cheque killed Hughes' desire, he wasn't interested after that. Much worse than Sideways Sammy for negative, "safe" passes!

With Doyle, he had a good season under Adams when we had our highest finish since relegation. Unless I'm mistaken, didn't that in turn earn him his massive wages when Birmingham were interested?

That one season was all down to Wise, he was his usual self until Wise signed in January and Wise carried that team, we were on course for our usual 17th place finish until then. I can't remember the Birmingham interest nor his contract extension.

Don Hutchinson & Dennis Wise, they both showed that if you have the ability you don't need the legs.

Nonleagueherewecome

Why the insult?

A debate is not worth having if its not remotely questionable. So your saying we have had a good midfield? when where and who are the players??

OK, instead of Stalinist, I'll spell it out: you're saying there's no debate to be had if it doesn't fit with your opinion.

Anybody who disagrees with you is just wrong.

Marty

Bjarni Gudjonsson was very similar to Hughes if I recall. Bjarni was awesome when he first arrived in the 03/04 season, then had an absolute shocker in 04/05 (which led to him being released). Once he'd got a proper contract sorted out, he just didn't seem the same player.

The one thing I'll always remember most about Stephen Hughes, though, will always be his stint in goal against Stoke.......

Bjarni was very good, but I remember Black signed him to play in the hole behind the front 2 (before it became popular), He signed his full deal under Reid and was quickly shifted onto the right where he looked a shadow of his former season.

Hughes in goal was brilliant, Anyone remember when everyone started singing 'England's number one' he turned round and was laughing for ages. Kept a clean sheet if I remember.:p

WillieStanley

It was. I cannot believe the amount we've spent on wages over the years. It really is no wonder we are where we are. Although everyone was at it! Surely its going to start catching up with the lower/mid prem teams as it has the FL in recent times. I know Pompy were in the Prem when it caught up with them, but they are a panto anyway!

Nonleagueherewecome

That one season was all down to Wise, he was his usual self until Wise signed in January and Wise carried that team, we were on course for our usual 17th place finish until then. I can't remember the Birmingham interest nor his contract extension.

Don Hutchinson & Dennis Wise, they both showed that if you have the ability you don't need the legs.

Is that why Hutch was on the bench most weeks? ;)

Birmingham were deffo interested, at that stage Doyle was our best player after Sheff. It's just he was good at all the un-glamorous stuff. Once his game dropped, his crap passing technique stood out more than anything.

I still think he was one of our most effective performers under Boothroyd, his closing down and work-rate were vital, as evidenced by the disintegration after he left. And the fact that he played most of the Leeds promotion season whilst being a vital player for the league favourites of the division we are now in last season means he's not a completely useless donkey. The same people who didn't rate Doyle tend to not rate Carsley.

TheHellion

Bjarni was very good, but I remember Black signed him to play in the hole behind the front 2 (before it became popular), He signed his full deal under Reid and was quickly shifted onto the right where he looked a shadow of his former season.

Hughes in goal was brilliant, Anyone remember when everyone started singing 'England's number one' he turned round and was laughing for ages. Kept a clean sheet if I remember.:p

He did, and a fine clean sheet it was too, against a pretty decent and dangerous Stoke attack. A truly outstanding performance from "Hughesy" that one!

Nonleagueherewecome

It was. I cannot believe the amount we've spent on wages over the years. It really is no wonder we are where we are. Although everyone was at it! Surely its going to start catching up with the lower/mid prem teams as it has the FL in recent times. I know Pompy were in the Prem when it caught up with them, but they are a panto anyway!

Don't underestimate the impact the collapse of the Football League TV deal had: the majority of clubs found themselves with obligations they suddenly couldn't meet overnight when that happened.

stupot07

But to be fair to Doyle, he's work rate and discipline allowed Wise the freedom to play.

Sisu_Cockroaches

OK, instead of Stalinist, I'll spell it out: you're saying there's no debate to be had if it doesn't fit with your opinion.

Anybody who disagrees with you is just wrong.

Any city fan with a sane mind would know we've not had a good midfield. Ok the debate starts here who are the players of this good midfield we have had?

Nonleagueherewecome

See above discussion.

Marty

Is that why Hutch was on the bench most weeks? ;)

Birmingham were deffo interested, at that stage Doyle was our best player after Sheff. It's just he was good at all the un-glamorous stuff. Once his game dropped, his crap passing technique stood out more than anything.

I still think he was one of our most effective performers under Boothroyd, his closing down and work-rate were vital, as evidenced by the disintegration after he left. And the fact that he played most of the Leeds promotion season whilst being a vital player for the league favourites of the division we are now in last season means he's not a completely useless donkey. The same people who didn't rate Doyle tend to not rate Carsley.

I thought Carsley was a decent player and vital to that team. The problem with Doyle was that he as an ok-ish ball winner, but then he'd give the ball away straight away, his passing was something you'd see down the park on a Sunday morning. To think he's even being suggested as one of the better players just sums up how far we have fallen.

I liked Hutch, he had the ability to go past 2-3 players with ease but he had the brain to realise he didn't have to, he could play a 40 yard pass as good as a 5 yard one. A truly talented player. He just didn't have the legs. Just look at McSheffrey, he has neither the footballing ability or brain, yet still spends half the game trying to run 50 yards before firing it top corner. That Hutch goal away at Leeds was amazing. ;) Just like Cisse scored against Chelsea for Newcastle, only further out and better. ;)

Marty

[video=youtube;9dFN2E5Et5g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dFN2E5Et5g[/video]

Marty

[video=youtube;emk9n15ewvk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emk9n15ewvk&feature=related[/video]

2.30 :eek::claping hands::claping hands::claping hands:

Sick Boy

They were both signed by Adams, so surely he also deserves credit? Many were against the signings at the time.

Also, WBA tried to poach Adams as well.

stupot07

They were both signed by Adams, so surely he also deserves credit? Many were against the signings at the time.

Adams was a decent manager and got us to our highest finish in the championship, the thing that let him down was the club selling Mcsheffrey and scowcroft who along with Wise were instrumental in that run. However after losing a CM, and LM and RM (John and Dele played up front) he spent £2m on Kyle and Mckenzie instead of replacing sheff and scowcroft with proper wide men :eek:

Marty

His does deserve the credit for his signing, but the upturn in form has to be down to Wise, I was actually one of the few who thought he'd be great and he was. It was just after that punch up at Leicester weren't it, so it was made oh so much sweater. :p

Users who are viewing this thread