roy hodgson (1 Viewer)

wingy

And I also have to add, I'm not wrong just because you say I'm wrong, limoncello.

Fine if you think Sven was a good manager for us. I thought he was awful. And that is based on the supposed golden age of players he had at his disposal (Beckham, Ferdinand, Lampard, Gerrard, Owen etc.)

My memory is fuzzy on this,IIRC he had a couple of excellent years and then the whole personal life and Glitz around him and some of the squad brought everything down, including performances .

IIRC he had a win ratio circa 60% like Hoddle.

L

limoncello

I'm not wrong though.

Find the tapes of the games, watch the matches and see how deep we defended trying to hang on for a result with the quality of the players we had.

You're the bloke who attends home games and listens to the commentary with earphones and then says 'well, Linnell says we're playing too deep' or whatever fucking nonsense he's come out with and seem to think that it somehow validates the opinion you've leached from him. Make your own opinions pal, if you're watching games on TV turn the volume down. Sven was a decent manager for England.

wingy

The biggest failure surrounding England over the last two or three tournaments has been around Proma donna inflated ego's ( Players),coupled with the attendance of Wags,Neither of which engender Team Culture/Building IMO.

wingy

Watched the game with my brothers family tonight .

My nephew made me Chuckle when we decided Roy looks a little Owl like ,we then ventured the back page of the Sun or some Twitter Illuminati might cobble together this
7805007-brown-owl-on-a-white-background.jpg

Tawitt Tawoo we're not going through.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I was only young back when Sven was manager, from what I remember Euro 2004 was good, WC 2006 was pretty poor but still better than the last two efforts.

Euro 2004 was our best chance for a tournament win, the team was something like and remember it was Greece who won the tournament that year.
----------James
Neville--Campbell--Terry--Cole
Beckham--Lampard--Gerrard--Scholes
--------Rooney---Owen

Owen was still decent back then, Rooney burst onto the scene that year with probably his best ever England performances. Scholes was still class. Players like Terry, Cole, Lampard, Gerrard were at the top of there game back then and were genuinely world class.

I seem to remember blitzing Switzerland and Croatia. We should have beaten the french as well but Beckham missed a penalty and then we got sucker punched with two 90 minute goals (One of which was a howler of a mistake between Gerrard and James)

Probably should have knocked Portugal out but conceded a late goal, still should have won as Sol Campbell had a perfectly legitimate goal ruled out for a foul. Rooney getting injured in that match was a massive turning point, probably would have won had it not been for that.

WC 2006 was a disaster from the beginning, Rooney was never fit and missed the first two games through injury. Owen was pretty much finished and riddled with injuries and his knee collapsed in on him in the group match. Beckham was getting on and past it, Neville was injured and we had to play Jamie Carragher at right back.
Despite this we still made the quarter finals and were knocked out on penalties when Rooney got sent off

Grendel

You're the bloke who attends home games and listens to the commentary with earphones and then says 'well, Linnell says we're playing too deep' or whatever fucking nonsense he's come out with and seem to think that it somehow validates the opinion you've leached from him. Make your own opinions pal, if you're watching games on TV turn the volume down. Sven was a decent manager for England.

Ericsson in his early tenure would have navigated us through the Group - he would look to draw the first two and win the last. We would be last 8 material as he would focus the team defensively.

Grendel

You're wrong. Stop listening to pundits, they're mostly idiots.

Of course if old 'Arry was in charge we'd be winning the World Cup.

Evans1883

for me , i said it since the day of his appointment , no he will not get the best out of our players , he is average , plays negatively , picked the wrong starting 11 ....i think from midfield to the front line we have a bright future , at the back i worry , and roy is not the manager to get the best of these youngsters .RUBBISH

turlykerd

If you know Otis so well why don't you just pop over and talk to him instead of using SBT ...its a bit like me texting my wife while she's sitting next to me ....lol

I can remember England v Brazil in Seoul and a great rhonaldinio performance but while we were losing 2:1 we just sat back and then sat back some more ... Such a frustrating team to watch...12 years on and managers come and go and we still just sit back .

Urgh !!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Has it been mentioned (cba to read all the posts) that it was mentioned on TV earlier that Jose Mourino would love to manage England (but a bit later when he's a bit older). I think he'd be OK :whistle:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Has it been mentioned (cba to read all the posts) that it was mentioned on TV earlier that Jose Mourino would love to manage England (but a bit later when he's a bit older). I think he'd be OK :whistle:

Apparently he nearly signed on to manage us after McClaren but his wife talked him out of it.

Otis

Stuart Linnell has never been a professional footballer or held any position of authority in the game so his opinion is absolutely of no interest to me. Same for Eakin and Foster etc.

I don't take too much heed at all as to what most commentators say, but I do listen to ex players with in depth experience and current and past managers etc.

I'm not going to argue with you. You think Sven was a good manager and for me I believe he was poor because of the excellent players he had in his squad. It was described as the golden age of England players and we failed to live up to that and especially in 2006 when we were very, very negative.

Let's just drop it. The past has gone and I now want to see who takes over the role of England manager for the future.

Otis

I see that one report on the game last night described England as 'utterly passive.'

Summed up perfectly for me and that same phrase could have been used many, many times over the years of these tournaments, World Cup and Euro's alike.

Covstu

I don't think we were poor in either game but were just beaten by better teams. The younger players were decent but still need a lot of work and the older players need to move on now. We lacked a proper threat down the flanks where there was clearly gaps in the Uruguay midfield and the balls in the box were very predictable. We don't have a unique player like a Suarez who can think outside the box and come up with a bit of magic so we have to rely on an overall team effort.

Personally changing the manager again would make us go back a step, I think we keep with RH until after the euros.

davebart

it is quite ridiculous to blame Roy Hodgson

He has picked the younger players, he has played with more adventure than many managers before him - just as everyone (including all those expert sportswriters) wanted.

What he hasn't got, which is what all his predecessors had, is a decent group of players.

He has had one eye on the future in this compo because he is very aware of that. Hence he has played Sterling and Barkley when they are clearly not ready and finally ditched the old guard (Gerrard notwithstanding).

Otis

I do think Hodgson is partly to blame.

Sterling earmarked to look after Pirlo? Bet if you watch a replay of that Italian game now you probably wouldn't find Sterling within 10 yards of Pirlo all game.

Wrong tactics. That is down to the manager unfortunately.

Otis

I don't think we were poor in either game but were just beaten by better teams. The younger players were decent but still need a lot of work and the older players need to move on now. We lacked a proper threat down the flanks where there was clearly gaps in the Uruguay midfield and the balls in the box were very predictable. We don't have a unique player like a Suarez who can think outside the box and come up with a bit of magic so we have to rely on an overall team effort.

Personally changing the manager again would make us go back a step, I think we keep with RH until after the euros.

Disagree, Stu.

I thought we played well against Italy and very poorly last night. So many passes were going astray, we were riddled with errors and the final ball into the box was abysmal.

Hodgson got a number of things wrong and the buck stops with him. He did blood a couple of youngsters but didn't have the balls to go the whole hog.

Clearly identified has been that Gerrard is past it, Johnson is past it and that Henderson isn't good enough. Lallana should have played and we shouldn't have kept moving Rooney from pillar to post. You either play him in his preferred position or you don't play him at all.

I thought we were very poor last night, which is a real shame, because against Italy I thought we looked bright and had a bit of invention about us. Last night we were pretty clueless, sluggish and lacking ideas.

SkyBlue_Bear83

He has picked the younger players, he has played with more adventure than many managers before him - just as everyone (including all those expert sportswriters) wanted.

What he hasn't got, which is what all his predecessors had, is a decent group of players.

He has had one eye on the future in this compo because he is very aware of that. Hence he has played Sterling and Barkley when they are clearly not ready and finally ditched the old guard (Gerrard notwithstanding).

Sorry Hodgson just isn't a good enough manager, you've had the wool pulled over your eyes. We played decent against Italy but those who came out and called it the best England performance of the last 15 years were off their heads.

He should have never got the job to begin with

turlykerd

im sorry, but the whole world has been crying out for glen johnson to be dropped....and we saw how bad a "defender" he is with cavani having 5 yards and all the pressure of a flat tyre to find suarez on the first goal. weve also seen our defence 20 yards deep at least for a goal kick which led to the second.its quite simple, if we had pushed up, they wouldnt have scored . our CBs didnt lack the pace of suarez or cavani imo so there wasnt any need to be so deep.it was unfortunate for Gerrard to mistime his header, but why was our midfielder challenging cavani for that header, 20 yards into our half....thats the CBs job.
im annoyed because we have the players, the skill and the imagination as seen week in and week out in the premier league but liverpool play a pressing game, chelsea play a pressing game and none of our home teams defend so deep. we cant even blame the climate as it was a cool day .

roy hodgson is an ok club manager, but look what a difference brenden rodgers made to liverpool . i like the way he handles himself, but we need someone to rip the heart out of the established FA cronies and make England a nightmare for people to play against.none of this nicey nicey bullshit...i want people to hate playing us, just like we hate playing against suarez...his comments after are "a great big Fuck You and i dont care". we need to be cockey and confident and we need a manager to bring this out of us. the team is a reflection of the manager.too much respect to other teams, bad tactics(sterling marking pirlo??rooney left midfield??deep defending??like for like substitutions??sticking with a loosing team??etc..etc)i thought you stuck with a winning team ????

i hope we pull of a mathematical fluke and go through, but i cant see it .

hodgson should do what he does best and be all dignified and resign . so should the people who appointed him .

Otis

I'm hoping too that Gerrard calls it a day. Been a good servant to England but now time to move on and he'll be too old for the Euro's in 2016.

Fresh blood, new captain.

Johnnythespider

I'm hoping too that Gerrard calls it a day. Been a good servant to England but now time to move on and he'll be too old for the Euro's in 2016.

Fresh blood, new captain.
And a young manager with fresh ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread