Ronnie Rees RIP (1 Viewer)

slowpoke

So sad, Ronnie a great player was as big a reason for our climb from the third division as anybody. Sold off in his prime by Noel Cantwell and never properly replaced.

oscillatewildly

That's sad. Too young (?) to have seen him play but feel fully genned up on him from reading and hearing the stories from older relatives over the years.
Have sent him a couple of Christmas cards in recent years when somebody on here ran a campaign for as many people as possible to do so.
RIP Ronnie.

Stafford_SkBlue

I remember that goal by Gould against Charlton In the promotion year, Ronnie took it from our penalty area passed many opposition players and crossed to Gould who slammed it in from the edge of the penalty area, I also think MOD camera's were there that day, maybe how I remember it so well. RIP Ronnie my hero back in those days.

slowpoke

I remember that goal by Gould against Charlton In the promotion year, Ronnie took it from our penalty area passed many opposition players and crossed to Gould who slammed it in from the edge of the penalty area, I also think MOD camera's were there that day, maybe how I remember it so well. RIP Ronnie my hero back in those days.
I was there for that, thought it was Bolton though. It was on match of the day.
Just watched it, shows what a great player Rees was.

Last edited:

Paxman II

A true winger in the old sense. Trickery, pace and could beat a man consistently to the byline. I'll always remember my childhood watching from the spion cop, how he ran with the ball at his feet, both arms raised in an arc as he teased his defender before beating him. RIP city legend.

Otis

I just sort of remember him. Maybe saw him play once or twice and it was right at the end of his time with us.

slowpoke

Jimmy Hill had bits of luck in his managerial spell here, Ronnie Rees was his biggest. He’d famously bought his brand new forward line thanks to £30,000 gift chairman Derek Robins gave him, four were big successes but one left winger Bobby Laverick was rubbish and Hill put 18 year old youth player Ronnie Rees in and he was a sensation a full Welsh international in 12 months and stayed a regular for Wales for a few years.

Calista

Very sorry to hear about this, and it’s sad that Ronnie spent so many years in care.

However by the magic of that grainy film, it’s a real joy to see him in his prime. RIP Ronnie, you were always my favourite as a kid.

Johhny Blue

Very sorry to hear about this, and it’s sad that Ronnie spent so many years in care.

However by the magic of that grainy film, it’s a real joy to see him in his prime. RIP Ronnie, you were always my favourite as a kid.
You knew him when he was a kid?

Users who are viewing this thread