Robins (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I've always wanted to ask him - does he get the players to train on the pitch at the same time as a matchday (ie 3pm) or adjust it for evening kick offs? Get the players bodies used to the matchday exertion 'rhythm'. If the players are training in the morning during the week and have their feet up by 3pm playing FIFA or whatever it's not exactly helpful in getting into a rhythm.

All very well wanting the weeds to be cleared but is that someone trying to get an advantage or someone who just likes things looking tidy?

fatso

I've always wanted to ask him - does he get the players to train on the pitch at the same time as a matchday (ie 3pm) or adjust it for evening kick offs? Get the players bodies used to the matchday exertion 'rhythm'. If the players are training in the morning during the week and have their feet up by 3pm playing FIFA or whatever it's not exactly helpful in getting into a rhythm.

All very well wanting the weeds to be cleared but is that someone trying to get an advantage or someone who just likes things looking tidy?
That’s a bit deep for league 1 mate.
Maybe international players at a World Cup might do that kind of Malachi,
But our boys are just happy to get to training without injuring themselves in the pot holes at Ryton!

ccfcway

I’m mixed here between his attention to detail and us being a professional club and not sorting out pot holes and standard landscaping. My company doesn’t have employees on the same salary’s as ccfc but will fill in holes in the road and will make the gardens look nice

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That’s a bit deep for league 1 mate.
Maybe international players at a World Cup might do that kind of Malachi,
But our boys are just happy to get to training without injuring themselves in the pot holes at Ryton!

I agree, but as we're supposedly talking about MR attention to detail I'd say having the players train at the same time as they'd be playing a match is a bit more of a relevant detail he might focus attention on than a few dandelions.

Philosorapter

I was having a glance through this article last night.

Do we have any machine-learning tools (hardware/software) that track players movements?

Or anything to track player movements in general?

christonabike

Didn’t Mowbray do something similar at Ryton had it all redecorated if I remember correct.
Mowbray had to pay for Ryton to have the car park recovered, inside painted and have inspirational posters put up and he paid to have the team bus painted metallic grey instead of "old peoples day out orange" as he put it all out of his playing budget. Nothing new Mr Robins!

Sky Blue Harry H

Do we have any machine-learning tools (hardware/software) that track players movements?

Think it's called electronic tagging - quite a few people in Cov have it?

Last edited:

shmmeee

I doubt we use ML, I’ve not seen anything in that space but it’s an interesting use case. You could use something like a CNN to analyse player positions and what leads to goals, that would be interesting.

I do think we track players though using GPS, not sure what analytics tools are used on that data.

NorthernWisdom

Mark Robins said:
We have brought in a big interactive screen as a teaching aid. We can’t move the players around on it yet because we haven’t got that software, and that’s clearly somewhere we have got to get to, but it’s clearly taken it to a different level.

Why have we bought the screen before we can afford the software? What if the screen becomes obsolete before we can afford the software?!?

clint van damme

I doubt we use ML, I’ve not seen anything in that space but it’s an interesting use case. You could use something like a CNN to analyse player positions and what leads to goals, that would be interesting.

I do think we track players though using GPS, not sure what analytics tools are used on that data.

canteen table, salt and pepper pots defenders, ketchup and brown sauce bottles attackers, table matt for the 18 yard box, job done.

Esoterica

A couple of years back we were using stat sports STATSports | World Leading GPS Tracker & Sports Performance Analysis but swapped to Catapult for the last 2 seasons Catapult Sports | We create technology to help athletes and teams perform to their true potential.

Philosorapter

Been looking through these websites, they just don't get it..

I know individual performance is of importance but they are not putting a way forward to measure group dynamics.

It's almost like it doesn't exist to them.

Philosorapter

Let me give an example.

Group dynamics in action.

The lines which are being shown on the board are not the heuristics themselves but the results of the herusitics formulated to show what the engine thinks is the strongest moves for each player.

These companies, in my opinion, are still miles off in producing anything that may be worthwhile to used in group dynamics.

Nick

Administrator
How can it be the same though? With a chess board certain things can only make certain moves.

A player is much more dynamic, for example a centre half can make a late run into the box if they wanted to.

clint van damme

Let me give an example.

Group dynamics in action.

The lines which are being shown on the board are not the heuristics themselves but the results of the herusitics formulated to show what the engine thinks is the strongest moves for each player.

These companies, in my opinion, are still miles off in producing anything that may be worthwhile to used in group dynamics.

gives new meaning to the line in that song we sing - Robins is our king.

Philosorapter

The footballing equivalent
How can it be the same though? With a chess board certain things can only make certain moves.

A player is much more dynamic, for example a centre half can make a late run into the box if they wanted to.

Have a look down the bottom half of the page.

How data analysis helps football clubs make better signings | Financial Times

Let me give the central tenet in chess (well the classical style anyway).

The pawn, being much more stationary than the pieces, is an element of the structure of the position. The way the pawns are placed determines the character of the position and also the plan associated with it.

Last edited:

covcity4life

messiah!

i wonde rif he has watched the documentries on NFL teams and taken ideas. they have such a good set up in america for sports

shmmeee

It’s all patterns in data. You could legitimately model the chances of that late run and factor that in. Obviously it’ll never be perfect, no model of a game that doesn’t have strict rules and moves is, but all models are wrong and some are useful. It could be you can find some useful insights in the data.

starting to wish I could do my Masters project again, it’s a really interesting thought. You could look at how different formations play against each other, where you are weakest, what leads to goals for and against.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

messiah!

i wonde rif he has watched the documentries on NFL teams and taken ideas. they have such a good set up in america for sports

But most US sports stop and reset their position very quickly. NFL style playbooks wouldn't work in a lot of our sports because the play flows and continues to a much larger degree.

GaryJones

Jezzus this thread is getting all technical so just for balance I would like to bring this thread in line with all the others - Hate Wasps, Fuck the Council, Sisu Out, NOPM, so on and so forth!

covcity4life

But most US sports stop and reset their position very quickly. NFL style playbooks wouldn't work in a lot of our sports because the play flows and continues to a much larger degree.
eh? i dont mean playbooks

i mean they have university style lecture rooms for pre match briefings etc
or video technology for analysis etc

Users who are viewing this thread