Robins has to own that one (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

And Plymouth?
Played quite well at Norwich and got nothing. Then played poorly in pretty much every game thereafter and got away with it. Seems to me that MR burnt through the energy in the side and it’s been running on fumes since then.

Pity really that just not having the depth is our undoing despite having spent so much money.

Hobo

I don't get why you go in against a physical team with dasilva and leave kitching on the bench.

It was Dasilva's passing and decision making rather than his physicality that let us down.

alexccfc99

This performance was coming we got away with poor performances vs Millwall and stoke

injuries havnt helped but too much rotation at the back, silly to change the keeper we’ve contributed to our own problems
Other than the first 20 minutes against Millwall we weren't poor 'per se'

We limited them to absolutely nothing in the second half

Otis

I think so much is on the team last night rather than the manager

The one puzzling one for me, as it is for many, is the playing of JDS over Bidwell. With Preston's physicality, I really didn't think this was a game for Da Silva.

It's the one thing I question about Robins. He has he reasons. I really just don't know what they are, but Bidwell has been frozen out a number of times hasn't he.

What you can't blame Robins for is for own goals and a player getting caught in possession around his own six yard box.

You can't blame him for the midfield pairing last night either. He was forced into playing Lati and Eccles, because that's all he had. Torp, he said he couldn't risk for a whole game (we were expecting him to be out completely weren't we) and for Kelly, who seemingly has a foot infection.

We were at a disadvantage from the very start and then to go one down within a minute, that just compounded everything.

The Collins/Wilson debate will rage on no doubt, but I am not convinced by either to be honest, though Collins does look the better of the two.

As I have said so many times, we don't know how many players were carrying knocks or injuries, or had been ill, or just not shown enough in training.

We are just not privvy to such information.

I would expect to see Kitching back on Monday night and hopefully Torp will be able to start.

And to be honest, I think I would still play JDS, but just higher up the pitch, especially with Saka now out.

If Da Silva is going to be able to put in a decent performance against anyone, it has to be a non league team surely.

I do think Robins may go for much of the same team, just to right the wrong of last night.

Torp in for Lati, JDS pushed up to allow for the absence of Saka and Bidwell in at left back.

Anyway, Robins did make mistakes last night, but so much is on the players.

Hobo

Robins is having an irrational moment, dropping Collins last week was odd, not playing our best defender is odd and most would have reverted back to Bidwell for this evenings game,

None of the goals last night was down to Wilson and against physical sides Kitching can get sucked into indiscipline.

Happy_Martian

I think so much is on the team last night rather than the manager

The one puzzling one for me, as it is for many, is the playing of JDS over Bidwell. With Preston's physicality, I really didn't think this was a game for Da Silva.

It's the one thing I question about Robins. He has he reasons. I really just don't know what they are, but Bidwell has been frozen out a number of times hasn't he.

What you can't blame Robins for is for own goals and a player getting caught in possession around his own six yard box.

You can't blame him for the midfield pairing last night either. He was forced into playing Lati and Eccles, because that's all he had. Torp, he said he couldn't risk for a whole game (we were expecting him to be out completely weren't we) and for Kelly, who seemingly has a foot infection.

We were at a disadvantage from the very start and then to go one down within a minute, that just compounded everything.

The Collins/Wilson debate will rage on no doubt, but I am not convinced by either to be honest, though Collins does look the better of the two.

As I have said so many times, we don't know how many players were carrying knocks or injuries, or had been ill, or just not shown enough in training.

We are just not privvy to such information.

I would expect to see Kitching back on Monday night and hopefully Torp will be able to start.

And to be honest, I think I would still play JDS, but just higher up the pitch, especially with Saka now out.

If Da Silva is going to be able to put in a decent performance against anyone, it has to be a non league team surely.

I do think Robins may go for much of the same team, just to right the wrong of last night.

Torp in for Lati, JDS pushed up to allow for the absence of Saka and Bidwell in at left back.

Anyway, Robins did make mistakes last night, but so much is on the players.
Finally, a sensible post. And from Otis ??? Okay, miracles do happen but try not to do it too often ;) :ROFLMAO:

Torp and Lati for Monday, Lati's defensive nature can cover for Torps forward runs. Eccles is growing into his role but he's too forward thinking in CM to allow us to have 2 of the same kind of player.

Oggy .... Keeper :rolleyes:
Bidders LB, Thomas and Kitching CB, MvE RB
Lati, Torp (if 100% fit) CM
Tav, O'Hare, Wright
Godden

wingy

Finally, a sensible post. And from Otis ??? Okay, miracles do happen but try not to do it too often ;) :ROFLMAO:

Torp and Lati for Monday, Lati's defensive nature can cover for Torps forward runs. Eccles is growing into his role but he's too forward thinking in CM to allow us to have 2 of the same kind of player.

Oggy .... Keeper :rolleyes:
Bidders LB, Thomas and Kitching CB, MvE RB
Lati, Torp (if 100% fit) CM
Tav, O'Hare, Wright
Godden
No with regard to Simms/Godden rotation?

Otis

Again, with Godden, if he can't break his barren spell against non league opposition, then all hope is lost.

After last night, I really think we will put Maidstone to the sword.

quinn1971

If lati and Eccles are our only midfield options at the min, we’re in trouble, haven’t got the ability to link up play, all you have to do is press us and we just go backwards, torp And sheaf play and that result doesn’t happen, never know,if we can hang in there until everyone’s back, but can see why robins isn’t happy with our lack of Jan signings, not sure who’s fault that is ? he def wanted more players in

Brighton Sky Blue

Worst game of the season by a long distance but that awful injury to Saka just has me disinterested in the rest of the season, at least the league anyway. Expecting COH to peter off as he increasingly has his eye on his next pay cheque thus doesn’t want to end up injured too.

Going to get battered by Hull, Ipswich, Leeds, WBA and probably end up in the low 60s. Gyokeres will move for big money in the summer and we can hopefully use that to replace COH and add depth in every part of the pitch so we aren’t left in this situation again.

So with all that said, just go for it in the Cup and maybe get a day at Wembley to ease a bit of the disappointment from this anti-climactic season.

Otis

If lati and Eccles are our only midfield options at the min, we’re in trouble, haven’t got the ability to link up play, all you have to do is press us and we just go backwards, torp And sheaf play and that result doesn’t happen, never know,if we can hang in there until everyone’s back, but can see why robins isn’t happy with our lack of Jan signings, not sure who’s fault that is ? he def wanted more players in
Not sure who's fault it is, but...

"Woke up this morning, had a whine,
I've got Doug King on my mind,
He didn't get his wallet out like he said he would
Something tells me he's the one we should bay for blood "

Maybe.🤪

stay_up_skyblues

I think you can make a case for the starting 11 IF we‘re fluid, the pressing side and enjoying the lion‘s share of attacking play. That is where JDS is arguably the choice over Bidwell. But when we’re 2-0 down, haven’t got out our own half and JDS is being targeted time and time again after 20 minutes he’s gotta put his hands up and change it.

I don’t criticise the starting line up, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but delaying the change to half time was a shocker. And they didn’t look like they were arsed second half which was just as, if not more, frustrating as the first half shambles.

The exception to the above is the starting of Wilson. Not just last night but at all. Pick a number 1 and stick with him. I can’t think of any successful team who rotate their league keeper every few games.

Happy_Martian

As Otis has said, Godden needs to be given a chance and if he can't do it against non-league opposition, his time is limited.

Mind you, we're the fanbase that said Fadz couldn't play in a back 4 in the Championship and that's exactly what he's doing at Blackburn and getting praise for his performances too.

Otis

As Otis has said, Godden needs to be given a chance and if he can't do it against non-league opposition, his time is limited.

Mind you, we're the fanbase that said Fadz couldn't play in a back 4 in the Championship and that's exactly what he's doing at Blackburn and getting praise for his performances too.
Funny isn't it, because it did look like his legs had gone.🤷

Marty

'Crazy not to start Bidwell'

Give me a break. This forum has been full of some ridiculous love in for Da Silva over the last few weeks and I don't know why.

He played well against a second string Sheffield Wednesday team but has looked like one of our weakest signings all season otherwise. The champing for him recently is bizarre. No where near good enough.

He's dreadful, You're at a disadvantage having such a small player on the pitch. Costs us goals every time he plays due to his size and being an easy target.

AFCCOVENTRY

He's dreadful, You're at a disadvantage having such a small player on the pitch. Costs us goals every time he plays due to his size and being an easy target.
Pretty sure that’s why the Devon-Kelly players didn’t make it either. In that defensive position it’s a no go unfortunately. If you’re an attacker it’s different. But not in a defensive or hybrid defensive role . It’s for sure a disadvantage.

Otis

Pretty sure that’s why the Devon-Kelly players didn’t make it either. In that defensive position it’s a no go unfortunately. If you’re an attacker it’s different. But not in a defensive or hybrid defensive role . It’s for sure a disadvantage.
It is a worry in that full back position, because opposition sides will just keep trying to play diagonal balls over the top of the small defender.

He looks much more decent further up the field I think. He worries me in that left back slot.

fatso

Robin’s got it wrong tonight.

we knew Preston would press hard and be physical yet we ignored the more physical and experienced Kitchin and Bidwell in favour of Binks and Da Silva .

He waited until half time to alter anything and somehow managed to make us even less effective in the second half with the new formation.

Eccles set pieces were atrocious and yet he was kept on them all match …

Then the most inexplicable one of them all risking Torp when we were 0-3 down and 20 mins to go. The game had gone. It was a silly risk.
He has to look at that starting line up.
Wilson is nowhere near as good as Collins, and that showed in the first minute,

Dasilva is a wingback and not a fullback, he should not be playing in a back 4.

Thomas is a decent young player but he has a fuck up at least once a game.

Lats and Eccles are not a central midfield pairing, Eccles looks lost without someone experienced next to him. we could of started Palmer or even Kelly in their, as either would of offered more composure.

I've said all season that Simms is not good enough for this league, and I stand by that.

All in all our squad is short of quality, one or two injuries and we fall way short.
You can understand why MR is planning another end of season clear out.

quinn1971

Not sure who's fault it is, but...

"Woke up this morning, had a whine,
I've got Doug King on my mind,
He didn't get his wallet out like he said he would
Something tells me he's the one we should bay for blood "

Maybe.🤪
We did sign the pbro lad, but that was like finding a Xmas present in November and not being able to open it until Xmas, just what we needed last night, he’s gonna be good

Last edited:

Legia Sky Blue

The Blackburn formations I've seen including Fadz have been a back 3!

With all our injuries and particular to Sakamoto for who we have no real replacement, I can see MR reverting to a back 3, starting against West Brom, probably in the shape of Lati, Thomas & Kitching. If MR had foreseen that I presume he might have kept Fadz. I think the West Brom team will look something like:
Collins
Lati Thomas Kitching
Van Ewjik Eccles O'Hare Torp Bidwell
Simms Wright

Otis

He has to look at that starting line up.
Wilson is nowhere near as good as Collins, and that showed in the first minute,

Dasilva is a wingback and not a fullback, he should not be playing in a back 4.

Thomas is a decent young player but he has a fuck up at least once a game.

Lats and Eccles are not a central midfield pairing, Eccles looks lost without someone experienced next to him. we could of started Palmer or even Kelly in their, as either would of offered more composure.

I've said all season that Simms is not good enough for this league, and I stand by that.

All in all our squad is short of quality, one or two injuries and we fall way short.
You can understand why MR is planning another end of season clear out.
If Kelly has indeed got a foot infection, as has been mooted, he couldn't have started with Kelly and Palmer in the middle as a two? That scares the life out of me.

Nick

Administrator
If Kelly has indeed got a foot infection, as has been mooted, he couldn't have started with Kelly and Palmer in the middle as a two? That scares the life out of me.

Why bring him on if he's got an infection?

Otis

Why bring him on if he's got an infection?
To see if any injection holds up and to see how much pain it's causing him, with a view to Monday.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Just give him a few minutes and see if there is any reaction.

Happy_Martian

The Blackburn formations I've seen including Fadz have been a back 3!

With all our injuries and particular to Sakamoto for who we have no real replacement, I can see MR reverting to a back 3, starting against West Brom, probably in the shape of Lati, Thomas & Kitching. If MR had foreseen that I presume he might have kept Fadz. I think the West Brom team will look something like:
Collins
Lati Thomas Kitching
Van Ewjik Eccles O'Hare Torp Bidwell
Simms Wright

Going off comments from Blackburn fans on Twitter. He plays in a 4 with Hyam and 2 fullbacks.

Cally Fedora

We don’t really know what injuries players who are seemingly available are carrying. That aside many on here have been calling for Binks to play for a while. Now he’s dross. Wilson v Collins - to be honest there isn’t a fag paper between them so it doesn’t matter who starts. Dasilva - it’s patently obvious he can’t defend. He looks better when allowed to play the whole game in the oppositions half but that’s not a luxury a left back can be given. In reality we lost it in midfield which is where we are missing Allen, Sheaf and Torp - pretty inevitable really.

SBbucks

Everybody moaning that Kitching didn't start. So if he did, who do you play on Monday vs Maidstone if Binks isn't good enough ?

And how many of last night's goals were down to Wilson ?

JDS has got praise from forumites this season for some of his performances but based on one bad game, he's not worth keeping.

You're all correct. Throw the entire team out and start again. As if that works...... :rolleyes:

We've had a feckin' terrible performance with some of our second string given starting roles. The selection would have been fine if the players played as a team. Everyone chose to have a bad day at the office.

Lest we forget, the season isn't over because of one result. We knew this was a rebuild year, getting into the playoffs was always going to be a bonus, not an expectation.

And we got tanked by Stoke last season and still got into the playoffs.

This forum is getting worse for kneejerk reactions. Some of you need to give yourself 24 hrs calmdown time before posting.

Surprised @Grendel and @Ann Proctor-Brown haven't jumped on to add fuel to the fire.

What team have you been watching ? We've been letting in goals home and away for months, regardless of who is picked. Everyones favourite keeper Collins has no clean sheets in Jan, 7 games and 3 clean sheets in December and November was the only positive month, 4 games 3 clean sheets and 1 away game at Preston.

On your point re Wilson, he was a major factor in all 3 goals. His inability to clear his lines for the first, no communication with Dasilva for the second, and no communication with Thomas for the third. All of them could have been prevented by positive goalkeeping. Clearly Dasilva & Thomas also share the blame but it starts from the keeper.
They are 3 of the worst goals I’ve seen us concede in a long time, and we manage them all in 38 minutes.

Nick

Administrator
To see if any injection holds up and to see how much pain it's causing him, with a view to Monday.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Just give him a few minutes and see if there is any reaction.

Surely that would be done at Ryton?

Users who are viewing this thread