robins barnsley formation at cov (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

whitey the barnsley fan says he likes 4-2-2-1-1

============gk==============
dr======cb=======cb========dl
========dm=======dm========
===========================
========cm======cm=========
============am=============
===========st==============

how would you have that at cov IF he decided to use it? id go with

============murphy==============
clarke===malaga===cameron======hussey
========jennings=======kilbane======
========thomas======barton========
============fleck=============
===========macdonald==============

if they can learn the formation that first 11 is extremly strong and could see us win some freaking games.

kg82

Did he play the same formation at Rotherham? Seems a bit restrictive. Then again, he has said it may not be pretty at first and this might be used to grind out results initially?

CovScott88

I heard it was 4-2-3-1, which in that case I would go with:

--------------Murphy---------------
Clarke - Malaga - Wood - Kilbane
--------Jennings - Thomas--------
Barton ----- Fleck ----- McGoldrick
------------McDonald--------------

The 2 central midfielders would enable the attacking 3 to be fluid and interchangeable, whereby they all play 'free-roles'.

ashbyjan

Team will be that that started on Tuesday - will want to have a look at them and give them a chance to redeem themselves blah blah blah. Whilst it would be great to think he will make instant wholesale changes its basically an attitude change that is needed - simply roll your sleeves up, give a damn, put on a sweat, work for the shirt and then results will follow. There is little quality in this league and the difference between success and failure is down to application and attitude.

stupot07

whitey the barnsley fan says he likes 4-2-2-1-1

============gk==============
dr======cb=======cb========dl
========dm=======dm========
========cm======cm=========
============am=============
===========st==============

how would you have that at cov IF he decided to use it? id go with

============murphy==============
clarke===malaga===cameron======hussey
========jennings=======kilbane======
========thomas======barton========
============fleck=============
===========macdonald==============

if they can learn the formation that first 11 is extremly strong and could see us win some freaking games.

It doesn't look 'extremely strong' to be. Kilbane, jenning and Barton have looked very disappointing. Where's the goals coming from?

covcity4life

on paper i meant,not recent performances

width? ask robins not me lol,but i would imagine hussey and clarke will operate as wing backs like they do in diamond

goals?-macdonald!!!!!!!! fleck and cm's should chip in too

im not saying this is my formation of choice,just wondering if its what we will see on saturday

Waldorf

Width? What's the obsession with width? The days of two strikers getting on the end of crosses from wingers went out with the dinosaurs. Teams from Barcelona to your local park side no longer play a standard 4-4-2. The so-called diamond expects fullbacks to get forward. 4-2-3-1 is favoured by many teams because it gives a good screen in front of the back four, and four attacking players, albeit only one out and out striker. Why should Robins automatically play 4-4-2? So long as the formation works, produces attractive football and wins games, I couldn't care what it is.

Gaz

Team will be that that started on Tuesday - will want to have a look at them and give them a chance to redeem themselves blah blah blah. Whilst it would be great to think he will make instant wholesale changes its basically an attitude change that is needed - simply roll your sleeves up, give a damn, put on a sweat, work for the shirt and then results will follow. There is little quality in this league and the difference between success and failure is down to application and attitude.

I think your right Jan

stupot07

on paper i meant,not recent performances

width? ask robins not me lol,but i would imagine hussey and clarke will operate as wing backs like they do in diamond

goals?-macdonald!!!!!!!! fleck and cm's should chip in too

im not saying this is my formation of choice,just wondering if its what we will see on saturday

You do realise that fleck, Thomas and Barton have the grand total of 6 career goals between them?

pusbccfc

What have Barton and Kilbane done to deserve to be ahead of Baker and even Mcsheff!?

davebart

Width? What's the obsession with width? The days of two strikers getting on the end of crosses from wingers went out with the dinosaurs. Teams from Barcelona to your local park side no longer play a standard 4-4-2. The so-called diamond expects fullbacks to get forward. 4-2-3-1 is favoured by many teams because it gives a good screen in front of the back four, and four attacking players, albeit only one out and out striker. Why should Robins automatically play 4-4-2? So long as the formation works, produces attractive football and wins games, I couldn't care what it is.

Width is not just about crosses. I think you will find Barcelona play with width. If you watch. It is the wide players dragging the defence around that allow the players in the middle the room to do their stuff. If you compress the pitch whether lengthways or widthways it makes it difficult for players to perform - at any level and especially at this level. Or park football.:facepalm:

Mucca Mad Boys

The 4-2-2-1 is with wingers, like a 4-2-3-1, but the wingers more defencsive do like this:

RB----CB----CB---- LB
------DM------DM-----
W-----------------------W
----------AMC------------
-----------ST--------------

That's what I saw when I went Barnsley away and lost 2-1 (under AB) and that's how I THINK he'll play it, which may work, I don't know.

Skybluestu82

Barton in my view is one of the poorest additions to the new squad.

He lacks the fight and ability we need to get out of this league.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think it will be more of a 4-2-3-1
Murphy
Clarke Malaga Wood Hussey
Thomas Jennings
--- Fleck ---
Mcgoldrick
Need two wide players and a LB to challenge Hussey

covcity4life

'Extremely strong' has just made my day! Ha ha

say that to my face..you know where i am:p ,once again i stress i mean on paper.

as i said in another thread we have been shite yet could easily sit here with 10-12pts right now

this league is not as hard as some have painted imo,its just we have been shite

with a good manager i expect us to start picking up points regulary,time will tell.

as for the stupots point, barton and fleck scored for cov in their short careers so lets judge them on that.

kilbane ghas been shite i agree but is baker really a CM?

WhiteyBFC

I can't say for certain whether he'll still play the same tactics/formation. I mean, it's been nearly 18 months since he left, and so perhaps he'll see things differently.

The 4-2-2-1-1 was more like this:

-------------GK

RB-------CH------CH------LB

----------DM----DM

-------M------------M
-------------AM
------------CF

He encouraged the fullbacks to bomb on at home, wheras away they were stricter in their runs.

His formation wasn't the issue though, tbh. It was the players he selected within it.
As I've said previously, he seemed loathe to include certain players. And in speaking to him, he admitted as much, saying it was risky to be so attack-minded in the Championship.
But, whenever he released the shackles, and did go more offensive, we looked far better for it. And, he'd seemed to finally get that, in the last few weeks of his second season here... and then the fallout. So who knows, perhaps he'll approach things differently with you lot..?

I'll tell you one thing though, I've been looking forward to him being given a chance somewhere, as it's always nice to see how your ex-gaffers get on. So I'll now be keeping tabs on the Sky Blues, who are now my favourite League One club.

Oh, and another positive for you - he never lost a derby fixture in his 2 years here. And one of his final games in charge, was the away game at Bumhole Lane, as we relegated Sheff Utd.

Here's hoping you do that horrible lot, this season. Twice.:claping hands:

kingharvest

I heard it was 4-2-3-1, which in that case I would go with:

--------------Murphy---------------
Clarke - Malaga - Wood - Kilbane
--------Jennings - Thomas--------
Barton ----- Fleck ----- McGoldrick
------------McDonald--------------

The 2 central midfielders would enable the attacking 3 to be fluid and interchangeable, whereby they all play 'free-roles'.

This - but probably with Baker instead of Barton.

Barton is destined to be one of the most disappointing players we've ever had. Bags of talent, probably more talent than most of the team put together, but he doesn't appear to have the determination or work ethic to make the most of it. When he does good thing he looks brilliant, but he only does them for about 5 minutes of every game.

Grendel

You do realise that fleck, Thomas and Barton have the grand total of 6 career goals between them?

And if you exclude League Two McDonald also only has about 7 goals to his credit.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I have to say Barton looked wonderful early in the season. Just seems to have stopped playing. He has an inordinate level of skill in this league. Would love to think Robins will bring the best out of him

LilleSkyBlue

I'm interested to see you've all put Malaga in at centre-back. I saw him against Sheffield United where he had the goal disallowed and looked basically very good. A couple of bizarre passes, but the rest, good.

So why is he no longer playing, anyone know?

SkyBlue_Bear83

I'm interested to see you've all put Malaga in at centre-back. I saw him against Sheffield United where he had the goal disallowed and looked basically very good. A couple of bizarre passes, but the rest, good.

Nobody really knows, Shaw came in and had Wood, Edje and Brown all ahead of him in the pecking order

kingharvest

I loved Malaga in that game against Shef Utd. Those two passes just made me like him even more. They had a typical french kind of nonchalance about them.

He also nearly scored from a set piece twice. For that reason he should be in the side.

kg82

I loved Malaga in that game against Shef Utd. Those two passes just made me like him even more. They had a typical french kind of nonchalance about them.

He also nearly scored from a set piece twice. For that reason he should be in the side.

No no no - he DID score!!

skybluegod

Barton in my view is one of the poorest additions to the new squad.

He lacks the fight and ability we need to get out of this league.
fight maybe in the last few games but ability? are you mad? he has bags of ability he was almost brought by liverpool so he must have ability.

stupot07

fight maybe in the last few games but ability? are you mad? he has bags of ability he was almost brought by liverpool so he must have ability.

He wasnt almost brought by Liverpool, they just watched him. Ability without commitment means nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread